Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McLazyDecoratesWithsBone cancels decorate with bone: needs improvable item  (Read 1886 times)

Cthulhu Inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My workers keep cancelling jobs to decorate stuff with bone, claiming there isn't anything to decorate. There's plenty of furniture in my stockpiles that is completely undecorated, however, and the dwarves definitely have a clear path to it. WTH is going on?

Also, is the bug that makes a whole stack of bones get used up for one job still around?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile

Is the furniture that you want decorated near the craftsdwarf's shop that you want it decorated at?

Some workshops have a maximum range that they'll look for items within.

Cthulhu Inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes...there is a nice, decorateable bed like 7 steps from a workshop that just cancelled it because there weren't any improvable items..

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile

I haven't decorated with bone, but I tracked down the bug report for decorating with bone using the whole stack (#2011), hasn't been closed, and the last post was confirming it to be still present in 0.31.22, so looks like it's still there.

What's probably more interesting is that I also found a bug report for the issue you're having with not being able to decorate with bone: it's listed as issue 2540.

In the last post in the thread, ChickenLips says it appears the bug might be related to dwarves attempting to decorate with Goblin bone, and canceling due to ethical considerations, but giving the wrong error message; or that it was at least associated with some stacks of Goblin bones, and dumping the offending bones helped stop the cancellation spam. (One item did get decorated with Goblin bone, so the bug wasn't associated with all stacks of Goblin bones, just most or many of them).

nshapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had this problem too utilizing the bones acquired from a beak dog mounted invasion.
Problem: too many bones of the same kind.
Bone carvers doesn't want to apply multiple decorations of the same bone to the same item.
[SOLUTION]
Forbid the bones in the shop and any of the same creature type, forcing the bone carvers to use another variety.
<---  This child was trapped and unharmed behind a bridge when the lever shown was pulled.  How did he manage it?  Nobody will ever know.