Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Desura  (Read 1148 times)

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Desura
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:42:57 am »

Just curious to know if Dwarf Fortresses listing on Desura has been official or someone just added it themselves?  I've checked around the site a little bit and saw nothing.

For those of you who don't know, Desura is a gaming network somewhat like Steam.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Desura
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 01:14:39 pm »

If it works anything like steam, you can add third party games to the list to execute the game from within the interface. People have done this with DF and Steam before, you know, as well.
!!&!!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:40:14 pm »

Yeah, I added DF to Steam just to track my usage.
2146.7 hours.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:45:50 pm »

They should have contacted Tarn(ToadyOne) first before putting it up.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 06:13:48 pm »

If it works anything like steam, you can add third party games to the list to execute the game from within the interface. People have done this with DF and Steam before, you know, as well.

This is a lot different. With Steam, all you're really doing is creating a shortcut. With Desura, DF itself is actually hosted on its servers, or so it looks like.

http://www.desura.com/games/dwarf-fortress

e: I'm sure this was run by Toady first, though. I mean, it really benefits both the site and Toady. The only question I have is whether the Lazy Noob people are ok with their pack being offered.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:19:18 pm by SirPenguin »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 06:30:51 pm »

I don't suppose anyone cares to give more of an overview of what this Desura thing is?
e: I'm sure this was run by Toady first, though. I mean, it really benefits both the site and Toady. The only question I have is whether the Lazy Noob people are ok with their pack being offered.
Well, that's pretty much down to LucasUP and I really can't imagine he'd have a problem with it, considering this substantially aids his original goal in creating the LNP.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »

I don't suppose anyone cares to give more of an overview of what this Desura thing is?
Well, that's pretty much down to LucasUP and I really can't imagine he'd have a problem with it, considering this substantially aids his original goal in creating the LNP.

Yeah, I agree, but I think the biggest problem with a 3rd party distributing the program without consent is that the original owner loses all control. If LucasUP makes an update, there's nothing to guarantee they will ever pick it up. If something goes wrong with the file, whether thanks to Desura or something else, he'd have no ability to do anything about it.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 10:47:46 am »

Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.