Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Bay12 Shared Universe [D&D 3.5]  (Read 6554 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Bay12 Shared Universe [D&D 3.5]
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:45:27 am »

So I may be totally wrong, so correct me if I am.  But back in the earlier 80's during 1st edition.  Being a 10th level wizard(magic-user), actually ment something.  It means you started at level one and raised a guy through numerous adventures to level 10, he had been through some stuff (especially in 1st edition were you'd probably die a lot).  His character was his identity, he could take him to any game and play him without messing anything up most of the time (I assume).  He wasn't limited to his "campaign".

Basically what I'm getting at is, sometimes you want to do a one off adventure, or a short campaign. And sometimes you want to use a character, but the DM's busy or is away.  So I suggest that we start a Shared Universe, were the players and dms all help create a world (with other players and dms, who may sometimes be vice versa).  Our own gods, cults, cities, countries, guilds, all that jazz.

Pretty much we all make level one characters, a dm says hey I want to do a campaign/adventure *later giving extra info for level gaps (3-4, 1-3, etc) and the plot hook and other info* And players just show up (as long as there not in an on going campaign were there absence would be weird.)  They do there adventure get some loot and exp then part ways, forming friendships and rivalries and all that stuff.

Players would have say in the world creation even if they never DM, such as a cleric creating a god with specific spheres that he worships, and thus becoming a god that's worshiped (in countries or world round, up to dm or player).  Players with history and backstory that can be picked apart for dm's to work with, like a characters brother who lives in a town were zombies are rising, or really whatever, players figuring out why there working together instead of a dm just saying then you 3 guys go into a dungeon.

You guys get what I'm saying right?
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Shared Universe [D&D 3.5]
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 12:49:32 am »

So this is a D&D 3.5e game where the players create the universe? Sounds interesting. Can the Elder Gods be tossed in for good measure?

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:53:33 am »

So this is a D&D 3.5e game where the players create the universe? Sounds interesting. Can the Elder Gods be tossed in for good measure?

Sure, But like original ones, no Cthulhu the deep one.  What's a cult without a horrible horrible abberation to worship? Also I'd prefer 100% our own  world, if we were to use Drow they should be different then the normal dnd type.  This would be like our ebberron or Neverwinter.  But of course we'd need consistency, so we'd probably need a wikia to keep track.  That way someone doesn't make the dwarves extinct while another guys running a campaign were your helping the main city of them.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 02:19:47 am »

As much as I love 3.5, and I do--especially Pathfinder, but not exclusively so--I think that if the goal is to have a lot of creativity, especially player-built races and what have you, another system might be better. Something light and flexible, where you can still have all the flavor of DnD without dealing with some of the more limiting system bugaboos. (Again, don't get me wrong, I likes me some DnD, but I think that if somebody wants to play something off the wall there should be an easy way to do so, and preferably one that doesn't involve level adjustments and the like)

I would suggest Donjon, but I think that might get a bit messy with a lot of people being involved, so... perhaps some flavor of FATE might be best? I've heard good things about Legends of Anglerre, though I haven't personally played with it. I do have Strands of FATE, but I think it treads on the wrong side of the flexibility/complexity threshold in some ways.

Of course, there's also RTD, but I'm not sure how well that works for serious games. Anybody have any first-hand experience?

Oh, and also: Dawn of Worlds for making the year-zero version of the setting. Maybe.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:23:18 am by Time Blossom »
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 02:46:36 am »

As much as I love 3.5, and I do--especially Pathfinder, but not exclusively so--I think that if the goal is to have a lot of creativity, especially player-built races and what have you, another system might be better. Something light and flexible, where you can still have all the flavor of DnD without dealing with some of the more limiting system bugaboos. (Again, don't get me wrong, I likes me some DnD, but I think that if somebody wants to play something off the wall there should be an easy way to do so, and preferably one that doesn't involve level adjustments and the like)

I would suggest Donjon, but I think that might get a bit messy with a lot of people being involved, so... perhaps some flavor of FATE might be best? I've heard good things about Legends of Anglerre, though I haven't personally played with it. I do have Strands of FATE, but I think it treads on the wrong side of the flexibility/complexity threshold in some ways.

Of course, there's also RTD, but I'm not sure how well that works for serious games. Anybody have any first-hand experience?

Oh, and also: Dawn of Worlds for making the year-zero version of the setting. Maybe.

Runequest, has a very open system. Rules

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:10:17 am »

So you want original stuff, eh? Ok...Hatcuri :P.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 03:18:09 am »

So you want original stuff, eh? Ok...Hatcuri :P.

GET OUT OF HERE MICELUS!

Nah, just kidding.

Except for the Hatcuri, fuck them.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:29:19 am »

Yeah, the hatcuri are kinda getting old by now...Time for the sentient tree-living octopuses I've been thinking about!

On a more serious note, I'm willing to contribute some more original material...Except races. I always end up with lizardmen and sentient cephalopods.

I'll work on some factions....
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 03:29:49 am »

Yeah, the hatcuri are kinda getting old by now...Time for the sentient tree-living octopuses I've been thinking about!

On a more serious note, I'm willing to contribute some more original material...Except races. I always end up with lizardmen and sentient cephalopods.

I'll work on some factions....

Not how the game works.

edit- I should be more specific.

We start off with a blank slate, and make up thing when we make up our characters background and depending on what the dm decides to do.  I could make a wizard and say I learned everything in a wizard tower school called Toadsfeet, some one else could play a wizard and claim the same, or form a rival school or just not say, and it could be assumed by the dm that all wizards go to this school and make an adventure about goings on there.  The world is build in pieces, not all set up at once.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:32:50 am by King_of_the_weasels »

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:30:21 am »

Unless I've somehow managed to miss quite a lot, I don't think Runequest is what I would call flexible. I don't even see support for playing nonhumans, for example. I suppose you could just pluck something out of the bestiary in the back, but the entries aren't at all balanced, and at any rate it's not the same as being able to make something up.

That's the nice thing about FATE, is that Aspects allow you to do both at the same time. Like, if you wanted to play a lizard-person for instance, you could have a "Scaly skin" Aspect, which could be invoked for defensive purposes or compelled in social situations. That's a rather low-end example, but I think it gets the point across. And since Aspects all use the fate point system, I think it balances out a bit better than the way many systems do.

It's a very different feel from DnD, of course. If the dice-rolling, long lists of spells, feats and equipment are what you're into--a sentiment I totally understand, and sometimes share--then maybe Runequest would suit your tastes better.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 03:31:09 am »

Ah, so I join this game, be a player, and make shit up in-game, right? Or have I completely missed it again?
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 03:34:16 am »

Unless I've somehow managed to miss quite a lot, I don't think Runequest is what I would call flexible. I don't even see support for playing nonhumans, for example. I suppose you could just pluck something out of the bestiary in the back, but the entries aren't at all balanced, and at any rate it's not the same as being able to make something up.

That's the nice thing about FATE, is that Aspects allow you to do both at the same time. Like, if you wanted to play a lizard-person for instance, you could have a "Scaly skin" Aspect, which could be invoked for defensive purposes or compelled in social situations. That's a rather low-end example, but I think it gets the point across. And since Aspects all use the fate point system, I think it balances out a bit better than the way many systems do.

It's a very different feel from DnD, of course. If the dice-rolling, long lists of spells, feats and equipment are what you're into--a sentiment I totally understand, and sometimes share--then maybe Runequest would suit your tastes better.

I'll check out FATE, but runequest does have stuff about playing non-humans, but it mostly just changes stat rolls, they can be found in the monster list.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 03:50:31 am »

I think we all basically just make characters, and the backgrounds end up creating the world, rather than vice versa. AmIright?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 03:58:32 am »

I think that was the original idea, which is pretty rad. Although I approve of general fleshing-out of the setting outside of that, too.

Anyway, I've had a pixie paladin with a corgi as her sacred mount in mind for a while.

Alternatively/additionally: bonsai dryads. They're like regular dryads, but they cultivate small, portable saplings from their home tree so that they can roam the world. Different species of tree lead to different flavors of dryad, natch.

I think I may have to turn in my dorf card after those two suggestions, but eh.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 04:01:19 am »

Bonsai Dryads? They practice self-mutilation as children to make themselves smaller? :P
*Has no idea how dryads are supposed to work*

I might join in on this, I dunno. *shrug* It'll be interesting to see what people come up with!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6