Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Dumbest dwarven death?  (Read 21093 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumbest dwarven death?
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2011, 02:43:30 am »

Once I embarked to a HUGE pillar of shiny blue stuff.

I mined it until it was very skinny, then set up a support to collapse it.  Made sure the miners were not mining it and over the other side of the mountain.  The jeweller pulled the lever, the collapse happened, and I couldn't find the miners later.

I worked out that in the few moments between the lever pulling command, and the collapse, they both ran across the map and STOOD UNDER THE PILLAR to be crushed.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2011, 08:06:46 am »

Any death that generally occurs in my forts.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2011, 09:19:31 am »

about 40 days later all but 4 of them die of thirst while the rest of the fortress was on stone smoothing duty. ::)
Stockpiles in the jails. Use them. To get them functioning correctly they need to take from whichever stockpile is closest to the still (and kitchen, since you might as well get some food in there while you're at it).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »

Stupidest death, propably death in jail to thrist by designating a food stockpile of one tile and one prankster dwarf ofc had to put an empty barrel to it.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2011, 03:01:48 pm »

It prolly had a troll face note inside it.

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2011, 05:44:37 pm »

Embarked on a site without looking at the temperature of the zone, causing me to start with a frozen river. One month later, map decides "screw this cold" and suddenly unfreezes half of the frozen river. Namely, the part my hunter was standing on at that moment. Now I have to wait till it freezes (if it decides to re-freeze at all) to recover his equipment.
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 05:51:33 pm »

The re-freeze will destroy the equipment and corpse.  I always mark all water as "restricted" (and have upweighted "restricted") if freezing occurs on my embark.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »

No, the refreeze won't destroy anything. It's the thawing that does that. You can mine everything out no problem, though.
くコ:彡

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 07:11:46 pm »

Most death, namely Urist McDruid who was so psyched about war he took his entire life crafting bone and leather armor from awesome beast only to die at the end of the first band of goblins that comes by, the thing is that he had no weapon..... still was a hell of a biter :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »

Probably the miner who was digging a chute into the cavern lake to deposit water from my waterfall. I designated a staircase to be dug adjacent, but she decided it would be best to do all the channeling before digging the staircase. There was another dorf digging from the bottom up, who did his stairs and channeling in the correct order. The dwarfette, though, did the last channeling designation of the chute and promptly plummeted 13 z-levels to her death. I can only imagine the other dorf was laughing his head off.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2011, 10:42:13 pm »

It prolly had a troll face note inside it.

Problem, prisoner?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:51:17 pm by Reudh »

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2011, 10:45:43 pm »

No, the refreeze won't destroy anything. It's the thawing that does that. You can mine everything out no problem, though.

I did not know this! *facepalm*
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2011, 12:44:54 am »

I had my legendary miner carefully channeling the last tile holding back the magma from the magma forges.  She dug down the ramp and promptly decided to walk across the bottom of the channel as it filled up.  She made it out and halfway down the hall before dieing of bloodloss from her melted feet.  e.e
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2011, 12:53:35 am »

Lava flood happened. Magmaproof doors stopped it but it still flooded my main hallway. Unfortunately, no door is magmaproof when there are dwarves on any side of it. I lost 12 dwarves to opening the doors into the lava flood before I could seal them all off.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2011, 01:25:13 am »

One statement:
An angry mason throws a barrel at a carpenter.
How does that kill a dwarf?
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8