Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Dumbest dwarven death?  (Read 21105 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Re: Dumbest dwarven death?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 03:40:43 pm »

Oh here's a new dumb death for you. My first ever goblin ambush just happened (Most of my forts have been... less than successful) and while my three danger-room-trained legendary dwarfs in full iron were busy ripping apart gobos left and right, my elite marksdwarf decided to run outside to get a drink from the river (My booze stockpile was behind the sealed-off section of my fort) before putting on his uniform.

His body is now floating somewhere downriver.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

FluffyBinLaden

• Bay Watcher
  • Riddles in the Dark... Answers in the Light....
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 03:49:16 pm »

Haha, as soon as I saw the title, I immediately thought of Urist McLeader. He has taken a break from the office one day to go get some fresh air. Unfortunately, a troll was loose on my fortress walls. A few of my swordsmen were attacking him, and scored a killing blow by slicing his arm clean off. Now, Urist just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The cave-troll's arm fell off the battlements onto Urist's head.

GG, no re. Well played, Mr. Dorf.   
This is a signature. It has a five hundred character maximum. You may use pictures, which are not to exceed 80 pixels in height. I am wearing a hat.

Zerg for life. For the Swarm!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 03:55:08 pm »

My legendary miner went outside during a siege. I tried to get him inside by mining because he was utterly ignoring the burrows but "Nope, sorry. On break". He deservingly died.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 04:07:43 pm »

I use bridges to wall off my entryways in the case of troll on the outside. Well, one day Urist McWalker decided he needed to be standing on one of those bridges when the lever was pulled. I'm not sure whether he exploded or the trolls ripped him apart...

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 08:49:14 pm »

Not a single death, but several. Dwarves dodging like imbeciles into things that will assuredly kill them isn't that amazing to me. Ten militia fighting one FB. None are killed by it. Six, however, managed to dive into magma while trying to fight it over the course of about thirty seconds. Did I miss something? Was this thing so terrifying that suicide seemed like a better option in 60% of the cases?

Odd post script, none of them managed to hit it the whole fight, and one, finally, a very unskilled axedwarf, hit it once in the head. With a kick. It died immediately. Phooey.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 08:52:19 pm »

I like to imagine all military dwarves to be drunken berserkers like Gryndell, charging into ANYTHING that moves.

Unfortunately this includes magma.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 09:23:43 pm »

Well, there was that one time i dropped a Dwarf down a volcano so he could reveal the terrain and the magma sea as he went... 'course i dropped him in the wrong place and he landed only a few z-levels down on a bit of floor sticking out, revealing nothing.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »

The cave-troll's arm fell off the battlements onto Urist's head.
Did you get any message in the combat reports about that?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 10:07:22 pm »

well, here's a new one.  A guy in one of my squads was upset because his squadmate and friend died of thirst in the hospital (the area has water but it's frozen year round).  He eventually tantrums, and apparently picked a fight with one of his squadmates...who was not only not a raw recruite, but was an axedwarf.  He died quickly.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 01:23:40 am »

Well, there was that one time i dropped a Dwarf down a volcano so he could reveal the terrain and the magma sea as he went... 'course i dropped him in the wrong place and he landed only a few z-levels down on a bit of floor sticking out, revealing nothing.

That's why I always use kittens for volcanic scouting missions.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 02:32:42 am »

That's why I always use kittens for volcanic scouting missions.

I tried that beforehand, it didn't work.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 02:38:08 am »

what's the dumbest death one of your dwarves have suffered? Rather it was easily preventable or due to AI stupidity, feel free to post it.
Oh hell this is going to be a long topic.

Mine? Entire squad of swords dorfs. Dodged into a murky pool. Son of a bitch.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 04:57:37 am »

By far the stupidest death was from 2 dwarves asked to channel.  1 dwarf started channeling a tile.  The 2nd dorf stood ON the tile being channeled and channeled tile the first guy was standing on.  You can guess how that ended...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 05:13:36 am »

It was in a freezing mountain range with short summers. Somewhat wild surroundings, too. And it was the first volcano I encountered. I was so exited, I delayed the still and the guys ran out of drink. When the still was finally running I noticed still many people being thirsty. So I tried to get access to water.

I delved deep and carved out the murky pool to the mountain top. Many people died of thirst, even when I finally got down to the cavern waters. I was like WTH youwantwaterthereiswater and they still thirsted very slowly.
This was also the first map where I realised that bridges provide no support. Imagine my surprise when two good masons feel to their doom a third injuring himself to a cripple why I was trying to find out what was happening.

Then there is my legends adventurer who decided to practise swimming. Geez, that country really has not a temperate climate. Quickest death ever - shock frosted.

And then there was the bunch of seven who turned out to be only four after thawing set in. The embark wagon was right beside a murky pool.

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 05:16:44 am »

Dorfs walking over a frozen river in spring, then drowning when it thawed
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8