Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My secret shame - I've never built a magma trap  (Read 13673 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: My secret shame - I've never built a magma trap
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 09:31:00 pm »

Every time I embarked anywhere near magma in 40d it ended with everyone dead or insane before the first caravan arrived. I refuse to go anywhere near the stuff now.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 10:48:19 pm »

It's perfectly safe now. Haven't seen a fire snake (or purring maggot for that matter) since 31.01 came out, and fire imps and magma crabs tend to stay downstairs now, so your chances of experiencing unintentional !!FUN!! are very, very low. I even gave up making a hundred and two airlocks between my fortress and my magma forges!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 11:08:31 pm »

It's perfectly safe now. Haven't seen a fire snake (or purring maggot for that matter) since 31.01 came out, and fire imps and magma crabs tend to stay downstairs now, so your chances of experiencing unintentional !!FUN!! are very, very low. I even gave up making a hundred and two airlocks between my fortress and my magma forges!

I've had purring maggots before... But this was before I deemed them of any use. Never seen them since.

Asymptote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 10:07:18 am »

ahem...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Got about 15 goblins in the trap... after the stack was complete had to wait over a year before I got another siege. Two militia dwarves were left outside, one died but the other fought of nearly 20 speargoblins+trolls... (he didnt kill them all, just stayed alive until they broke). So total casualty count for the magma trap comes to:
- 16 to the exploding alchol incident
- 3 to the resulting tantrums
- one miner who was too slow
- one militia dwarf caught outside.
- 15 goblin lashers

But it works!

In other news, half the map is on fire.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 10:23:37 am »

In other news, half the map is on fire.

Oh so sigged!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Asymptote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 10:42:30 am »

Yah.... suffice to say as much effort wasn't put in to the magma disposal system as the magma delivery system =/

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:18 am »

My only attempt at a magma trap was a squidlike structure operated by bridges emerging from a volcano.

The bridges turned out to not be magma safe.

There was almost no way to stop it from constantly pouring out magma, short of draining the huge reservoir onto the ground--the valves were right by the volcano.

When goblins came they ignored the large pools of magma and marched easily up a ramp I missed into the fortress proper. 
No one survived.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 11:36:00 am »

16 dwarves killed pretty much instantly in a massive alcohol fireball. I had no idea that could happen... deadly.
Actually, I'm pretty sure it didn't happen - when exposed to fire, alcohol boils (which is unlikely to inflict any serious damage) but it does not burn.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 11:48:00 am »

I've always been afraid of forgetting to make one vital piece of equipment non-magma safe, the massive FPS drop (just turning on tempreture halves my FPS in my current fort).. but mostly the perceived amount of effort involved.

I'm no stranger to hard work... my current fort Wetringed is a 20x20, 45 zlevel above ground tower, made entirely from marble, running water, 3000 excess power, drainable moat, etc etc. But I've started on a magma spewing death-trap for the entrance, and it just seems too much. I've got the power to where it needs to be, my magma reservoir is slowly filling as I type, but... as far as I can tell, I will need a magma pump stack of 80+ levels.

Tell me true, oh forum, is it worth it?
Eh? I didn't bother about this stuff for a long time also, but when you got the things handy (volcano) you can just make a trap ouside, safely away from the fortress. Add some doors for sealing things and have fun. Use a man-powered pump. Is there a flaw, the dying Mr Pump will cease pumping, stopping the flow effectively. Small traps won't hurt the FPS much.
Important advice: Temperature must be enabled. Else this will all be a big disappointment.
For my part: I'm still about to figure out how waterwheels work. The wind wheels never worked.
Are they worth the effort?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 11:58:11 am »

Asymptote, magma is the true dwarven way.

Remember...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 12:02:56 pm »

i have build mgma trap, theyve just never worked.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 12:55:05 pm »

I have yet to try a magma trap myself, although I planned it for this fort.  I had absolutely no easy way to build magma safe pumps though: no magma safe metal ores and no sand to make glass parts.  I started buying sand off the traders to make glass parts, but it's a slow process to build the 60+ z-level stack.  This being my first time, I fully expect terrible things to happen in the process.

Then a deadly dust forgotten beast showed to and killed 40% of the population, so I probably won't manage to pull it off this time.  I'll probably try again on my next embark, possibly with a more shallow world gen next time.

I want a magma moat darn it!
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 01:42:23 pm »

i built a f*** the world lever once.  Then i accidentally the whole off switch.  Let's just say i havent gotten imigrants or merchants in a REALLY long time...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 02:04:04 pm »

I've shied away from !!MAGMA!! traps for fps reasons, but no my fort is drowning in cheap clothes and I need 4 smelters running full time melting down copper and iron armor. I guess Magma really is the solution.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4