Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My secret shame - I've never built a magma trap  (Read 13671 times)

Asymptote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My secret shame - I've never built a magma trap
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 05:36:41 pm »

Yah I have NFI what happened with the melted microcline. The magma would sometimes 'retreat' a square and leave some microcline behind... showed up as just 'microcline' as the dwarves where hauling it, except it had the liquid-like texture. It's possible that I accidently marked it for dumping, improbable tho... definitely didnt do it on purpose.

So spoke to soon on the tantrum front  >:( One them darn kids tantrumed and deconstructed the major bridge into the fortress while standing on it. He and 5 others fell 7 - 8zs onto the mountainside. Two fell into the moat instead and drowned, one kid bled out, two dwarves and tanty McTantrum are still alive but hospitalised... tanty has two broken legs.

pump stack mining: 40%
pump stack pumps: 8%... not so much work as I thought it was going to be (dont know if I'm doing it right yet tho =D might be a massive failure)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 05:42:24 pm »

bwahahaha! another fine example of a generic tantrum spiral destroying an entire fortress piece by piece :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »

OK, so sit rep.
- 16 dwarves killed pretty much instantly in a massive alcohol fireball. I had no idea that could happen... deadly. Altho, somehow not a single of my 70+ children bought it  >:(
- food and alcohol stores still OK, altho lost all my legendary lavish meals. Luckily lots of plants & alcohol also stored down near the farms/stills.
- tantruming beginning now... my dwarves are generally pretty happy so I dont expect toooo much... broken chairs etc. Luckily? the captain of the guard was flambe'd in the explosion so no brutal reprisals
- pump stack completion status: 0%  :)

So... everything went better than expected?  :P

When building magma stacks, I usually dig out the whole thing, dump all the stones, construct the pumps one by one and then seal the whole thing with walls. It takes some time and micromanagement, but after accidentally collapsing 30 pumps and spilling magma into my water reactors, I'm rather cautious...
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 06:10:06 pm »

Tell me true, oh forum, is it worth it?
Is pope Catholic?

Interpreted as "is popé catholic"

And the answer is hell no

which means that this post is wrong

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 06:17:13 pm »

I've never used magma either, I burn wood just to piss of the elves, even when I have coal.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 10:15:33 pm »

I've never used magma either, I burn wood just to piss of the elves, even when I have coal.

Now, if you could burn the wood USING magma, it would be truly Dworfy
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 05:08:30 am »

Personally, I like to skip the middle man and burn Elves with magma, but to each his own death trap.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 06:04:16 am »

Magma traps can be excused, but please tell me you've at least built a magma doomsday weapon?

[My favorite was dropping my entire fortress into magma, preserving it FOR THE AGES]

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 08:35:57 am »

*reads OP*

GASP! My word!

* Sting_Auer slaps with a glove.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »

I consider pump stacks to be, in general, a senselessly tedious thing to build and operate. They're stupid.

Embark on a Volcano. That's what I do whenever I want my fortress to be surrounded by hollow walls filled with magma. Put a floodgate in every few spaces, link them up to a series of levers so you can pick what area you want to burn, and enjoy.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 07:20:23 pm »

Magma traps can be excused, but please tell me you've at least built a magma doomsday weapon?

[My favorite was dropping my entire fortress into magma, preserving it FOR THE AGES]
Nope
I use Cold Steel, to get stuff done.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 08:22:53 pm »

Nope
I use Cold Steel, to get stuff done.

This is why Dwarf fortress needs a liquid nitrogen sea somewhere, maybe in the sky (I know.).

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 08:26:41 pm »

This is why Dwarf fortress needs a liquid nitrogen sea somewhere, maybe in the sky (I know.).

Dwarf Fortress, in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 08:49:17 pm »

I enjoy playing with pump stacks honestly. For no reason other than because I can.

As for rising long distances, I find that if I work them out so that ever 10 levels, there's a small reservoir, of say an 8x8 for an 80z stack, it means I can keep FPS by only running one or two chunks of pump stack at a time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 08:50:53 pm »

I tend to shirk away from large scale magma movements, for the sake of FPS.
But I've found an advantage to above ground forts is Asthetics - Underground pipes simply add to the splendour :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4