Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Another Project - Dwarven EcoCity 2020  (Read 26901 times)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
Re: Another Project - Dwarven EcoCity 2020
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 09:06:23 am »

First off, I bring to you two photos of a dome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have set Stonesense to [SEGMENTSIZE_XY:480] but it resembles 240 in every way, so this beast might be larger than SS can fully take a photo of. (Also, [SEGMENTSIZE_Z:18]) (The defaults are 80,5)

And in Ogreseer.

------------

Since we don't need to screw up five decades worth of work;

A few of us embarked in a new area to try some things. [Translation: I started a pocket world and embarked on a 2x2. It seems to have all one would need, as I have found a cavern with lake and the sea of formula910.]

Having never played with power, gears, or axles before, it was important for us to better grasp these concepts. Because I am not that smart, after a few hours of study I have decided that we know enough to proceed. We have a 20u windmill. We made a lovely Dwarven Water Reactor that powers a 7z pump stack. [I have not checked on the big map what power I can get from wind, but I do not think it important, having made a DWR and all. And physics be damned, I don't care on this fraking thing. {Okay, I care, but there is no moving water or aquifer I can use, so...}]

I screwed up a few times, of course, but I fully (12.2%) understand mechanisms now. Okay, closer to 88% but I am sure there will be errors.

There isn't really a point in showing you a few tries at the standard pump stack from the wiki, so imagine it or look it up. The point is I now know how to gear one up. (And know that I am going to hate the construction of these things. See below.)

--------------

I've played with a few designs for pumping fluids upwards. I am guessing that the central designs, A0/A1, that use both magma and water pumps are not really going to work like I'd like. (See "Will this work?" on the diagram.)

[Unless told so explicitly, I'll check it out on the aforementioned map before trying it on Rimamused.] Not that I require it to work, but it'd be nice, I think, to have the central tower spew forth both fluids from eight orifices rather than the four that I probably have to settle for.

Plus, you can see plans for the four towers, which is why the central tower isn't necessarily important. (Somehow we need to get in/out, so either the center or the four towers need to be used for this.)

No, I still have no final plan - nor should you have expected one. Somehow, there will be pipeworks that will cast the obsidian floor. And said plumbing, (glassing/silicing? I'm not using lead/plumbum here,) should be able to make the ground either wet or aflame at any time wanted, (Really, who NEEDS to set the world on fire?) unless I build a lake around the thing. Which would be very pretty, I think. But would make it harder to flood the rest of the world with magma, which I am pretty sure needs to happen at least once. Ooh, magma land mines. Yes. That could do, as I will have height. Sorry, thinking out loud.

I have some time, as we are just now breaking ground on the rest of the inner cone, so feel free to comment.

Also, I figure that I'll try the ramping of the thing now, before I do anything. In a parallel universe, if it really should end up looking horrid in the visualizers. [I visualize it just fine.]

And the lens of the thing is just fine, for those concerned. I am pretty sure, as planned, this would be a near-perfect meniscus lens, or as close thereto as we can get. [It wont focus worth a half-penny, let alone a dime. We are dwarf, we can make it perfect(ly deadly).]

You hate digging in circles? Try building in circles :d
~With Buzzards killing everyone
Shirley, you can't be serious. (I appreciate the buzzard angle, I do.)
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2012, 01:40:23 am »

Before you build your magma pump stack, (im probably too late.)

this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72296.0

a major FPS saving pump stack.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2012, 06:08:52 am »

You hate digging in circles? Try building in circles :d
~With Buzzards killing everyone
Shirley, you can't be serious. (I appreciate the buzzard angle, I do.)

Buzzards are SRS BSNS

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2012, 08:33:41 am »

It is not too late for any suggestions. Currently, I threw the save at another computer, so we can see if plopping up ramps about the dome will be pretty or useless. It might just be pretty useless, but we shall see. (It was more a change of scenery, the other computer is in an other room.)

I have seen the FPS saving magma pumps. That's simple to implement on the B0 sketch, and also easy enough to do on the towers. I am not fully sold on the idea, though. I mean, we will not be pumping 360/24/7 so perhaps I can live with the FPS going to 5. (Then I can turn BOINC off and get 25. As far as I can tell, it constantly borrows 20 FPS and has no intention on paying those back ever.)

I must say, again, that these are only sketches. Right now I am just building ramps on the dome. If that looks okay, then I'll be doing so on the main save, (Yep kiddos, that means doing it twice.) Figure a week until I am ready to build towers. Sooner would be nice, but I've been doing this for 50 years - figure a week.

[To further clarify - If the ramps end up looking good, then I will ramp the thing up while at the same time the miners will be digging circles. Absolutely NO circles are being dug on the other computer. I'll be printing out the circles from that computer, but will not be digging any over there. (Even this crazy person needs to stay sane somewhere. For a minute.)(I can print from here, but stops me from moving to the other desk, so don't mention it.)]

{On an unrelated, but rather important side note, my cat is very cute. And happy. And is in most ways barring me from going to the other room, what with the rolly-polly and tail-wagging and, Well - she's a cat. (To all Ozzies out there, sorry - I understand your policy on these evil beasts, but here in the States they are eebil overlords that subtly allow you to think you are in charge. There's one in the room, so I can't talk freely. Drop off a message at that post-box on the corner of 7th and Greely and I shall respond post haste.)}
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2012, 11:34:58 am »

I have seen the FPS saving magma pumps. That's simple to implement on the B0 sketch, and also easy enough to do on the towers. I am not fully sold on the idea, though. I mean, we will not be pumping 360/24/7 so perhaps I can live with the FPS going to 5. (Then I can turn BOINC off and get 25. As far as I can tell, it constantly borrows 20 FPS and has no intention on paying those back ever.)

yes, but what is the time difference between 25 FPS and 80 FPS in the amount of time it takes to get the magma you need? plus what if you set up a magmafall later for the hell of it?

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2012, 02:23:29 pm »

Sorry I took so long. I have reasons, and they are entirely valid:

1.) I have still been playing with my pocket world, and it has helped in understanding more things, (We are close to setting up a few reservoirs for water and magma - gotta make sure we can cast the eventual obsi roof, and all.)
[On a side note, that fort has 216 idiots. It's a fun place. Its hemmorhaging dorfs. Much like Rimamused.]

2.) One of the posts here I read the other day linked to that evil site, and I have been there on my DF time for three days. (And I am smart enough to know not to go into that trap, but there I went happily, because...I mean why not?) [I will not mention it by name, but it's that one that rhymes with 'Pee-Wee hopes'. {Please, do not go there or try to figure it out if you dunno what I mean. That is just a fact. You are warned. Everyone here will back me up - if you get brain damage or loss of time - that you are warned.}]

3.) There were technical issues that resulted in the eventual scrapping of the whole thing. Sorry. Still, there is reason to continue reading. I promise you, O humble reader, there is reason to read on.

My cat is clearly a dwarf-cat; in the midst of attacking a mouse, she stops to clean herself. It was a great laugh I had at that.

Now, on to less serious business; [There is one statement that I feel important to make and that is that this project is still fine and point number three, above, is fictitious. Except for the part where I told you there was reason to continue, of course. But that should have gone without saying.]

6 Galena, 155 - An artifact limestone millstone, Necikesmul, Singedfill. It is beneath mentioning, save the name. (If only to avoid it.)

19 Sandstone - Zaneg Orsharkol Tetistdeb Tathtat, Hammer Lord, named a copper shield Ulengidrath (The Lost Treasures). We grow weary of this naming of sub-par equipment. (Well-crafted copper shield. Copper shields are fine, but couldn't we make better? Maybe, if we queued up a few jobs. We probably will not do that, so don't expect anything but complaining on named copper shields.)

5 Moonstone - Our mayor, Asen Becorrigoth, should like a trifle pewter bed in her room. I should like her to check out the lower levels. We shall see how this plays out. [I made a thread in the mods section about making one, but I didn't get it right as of this moment. I should get better at modding but it takes a lot of time, Rimamused does, so the modding bit will come later.]

Whenever - Mayor is still ecstatic. I really would have liked to have placed a trifle pewter bed in her office. I have a pull-out couch in mine, so the demand was fair. [It is a crappy bed, without spikes, but it is microcline blue.] (Well, the home office. Where I GO to work has at least three spare beds. Those are of greater quality.)

Also, we are training the three miners of a minimal skill level up. They get to do some work while the other twelve rest. (I do not need fifteen legendary miners, but why not have them anyway? Of course you cannot think of an answer.)

1 Galena, 156 - Mebzuth Isaklorbam Veladriltakuth Risen, a militia capt, named his battle axe Ritharmistem Rinmol Arban. The Marshes of Cradling(!?) is a normal steel battle axe. It has nine and thirty kills, so I'd not mess with it, but I think we can all agree that we see no pattern of cradling at all.

There was a football game yesterday. I heard who won at 0509h. My cat woke me at 0414h and I have to guess that we lost power at 0123h. I know a computer died at 2144h, so I was busy. I assume I am calling in dead for work. It's a hard sell, what with the dead talking, but my boss is pretty cool, seeing as he is my father.

bombzero asked; yes, but what is the time difference between 25 FPS and 80 FPS in the amount of time it takes to get the magma you need? plus what if you set up a magmafall later for the hell of it?

I reply; I don't really know the time difference. I am groggy at best, and don't really want to do the math. I guess I'll know when it comes up. Magmafall is a whimsical fancy, and you know it. (Not that we don't plan on coating the dome in magma.)

If I need to overclock this puppy and run liquid nitro on her, it will be done. Maybe. But we are not overly concerned with such things as heat, melting computers, or magma. We are from Miami, where heat is just going to be one door away, (step outside, good fellow(ess).) We have access to an A/C, dry ice, nitrogen, and I just as soon can throw an entire A/C unit to one thing as a form of overkill. (I could try that pool cooling, but I don't technically own the pool at this condo so they might complain. I DO have 24/7 access to my dad's pool, and no one uses that. So the option is open. Scratch that remark about not owning a pool, as it seems I do. But that'd require me moving a computer. It is DF, so I guess moving a computer is fair game. But moving to dad's? Mmmmm, probably acceptable losses.)

(Sorry about that rambling, but I figured I'd post. Then I got to typing. I'm bad at that. But I know a few people would have urged me to post and so I did. BOING. I can translate it all, but I think I turned that all into Englamish good enuff.)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 02:56:49 pm »

I've been slow in posting, but we all know why. Life happens and a zombie or two is fun.

Now;

20 Obsidian, 159 - The last channel has been dug! We are going to do some more dumping for about a year, but we are only at 27.5K stones. Tower building will start after the miners have an eight day respite and a grand party to celebrate.

14 Granite, 160 - Veldum, "Linedmouths" - A native gold bed, decorated with wool and willow, encircled with bands of native gold, acacia, gold and wood opal, with sheep bone spikes. An image of Smearedallies, the native gold mechanism, is made in native gold. Also, in rope reed fiber, an image of dwarves. (Nope, they are not doing anything. It is just an image of dwarves.)

1 Felsite - We designated a temporary dump-site, [Total lie, it has been there forever, unused for a decade,] and are dumping every last stone that fell down over the years. We have enough haulers that we can sort it all out later. And it will look better come the next entry...

12 Galena - We are down to 20K stones. We are happy. Some construction on the stacks has begun.

Y'all like pictures, because it seems nothing happened before pictures were invented... (Do cave drawings count? You could have faked a hunt, Cavoshopped it, ya know. (Rockdobe is an old company.))

A nice shot of the dome.

You like? Very "hole in the ground" if I do say so yourself. You can see us starting the four silos. Just floors and walls for now, we'll go and make them pumps later. I think. (I was never really sure what all I'd be doing with this once it was built. But I know it involves magma, see, so we just plan for it being there.)

Maybe it is time to look into that spreadsheet using building maker thingy. (Name is escaping me at the moment. I know what it is called, just not now. *frowns*) Oooh. Quickfort or something. Yeah brain! (Drinks a beer - that'll stop ya.)

Anyway, hope you enjoy, and I'll be back. Sometime. (I feel bad using 'soon' anymore. Like they took the word away from me or something. Hmm.)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »

Since there has been an update to Overseer, the silos are complete, (no plumbing yet,) and we have 358 citizens - well we decided to share.

So here is a shot from above surface;
To the upper right (SE, really, but this angle made a good shot,) are three rectangles of wall. The microcline one is the atom-smasher.

The glass one is a future location to get into the fort after I flood a great deal of the surface. This will suck, as I have to basically wait for it to rain, and will need to for some time. I am slowly storing water like Fremen caches.

The left one is limestone and is the entrance.

The inside;
The only thing of note here is the ring of bauxite, (it's pinkish, sadly,) that will be one of many to try to cast stone in.

And a view of - well it kinda speaks for itself;
I like my zig-zag central stairs.

I love the amount of magma.

Since I mentioned water before, I will mention it again. You see, I also need O so very much of it for the obsidian casting that is to be done.

I really wish I could get my glass blocks to render clear. I keep meaning to look that up. *shrug*

Some stats:
12,878 glass blocks are around. It is hard to tell how many are in this beast, but it is most of them.
418 Iron blocks - That should be exact, as I was very careful and forged the last few as they were needed.
Only 20989 useful stones are left, for building, and 3601 random stones are used up. (Bauxite, gabbro, marble, chert... useful.)

We are drawing out plans for the reservoirs anew. We had only recently discovered that highest level of magma, seen closest to you, so there you go.

More to come.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2012, 07:15:07 pm »

It's awesome. Thanks allot for sharing what you have so far )
I voted for BANANA!

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2012, 07:55:52 pm »

It truly is a spectacular hole in the earth - posting to follow!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2012, 08:22:25 pm »

TRIPLE PTF COMBO!

(Awesome project!)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »

Why are there no trees?  I thought that was sort of the whole point of having a glass eco building...  The indoor greenhouse plants.

You need to strategically flood the majority of the inside so that trees and plants grow in proper garden areas all down the slope and in multiple z levels up the middle, like in the picture, or it seems odd, yes?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2012, 10:37:31 pm »

Why are there no trees?  I thought that was sort of the whole point of having a glass eco building...  The indoor greenhouse plants.

You need to strategically flood the majority of the inside so that trees and plants grow in proper garden areas all down the slope and in multiple z levels up the middle, like in the picture, or it seems odd, yes?

Ide say its a work in progress and has not gotten to that point, yes?
I voted for BANANA!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 03:42:28 am »

Oh okay he did say "no plumbing yet"

Right you are then.  Carry on, top notch.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 05:05:58 am »

Due to a lack of understanding that by not having a cavern layer I will get no underground trees, there will be no underground trees. There were supposed to be. By the time I realized this was so I was well into the project and, like any dwarf, I plodded on like nothing was wrong with this. (Maybe a green glass statue forest instead? hmm)

So you know, the surface is jam-packed with trees. Well, outside the walls - lots of foot traffic inside. That'll change if/when we move inside the dome.

And the name Eco-City is the name of the real-world counterpart - so I just kept it. It is called Rimamused. (It needs no fanfare.)

Seriously, aside from the plans already shown, I'm winging it. Sorta.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5