Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can buildingdestroyers smash drawbridges now?  (Read 2895 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: Can buildingdestroyers smash drawbridges now?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:48 am »

Yeah, rather than flooring over glowing tiles in curious underground structures, I hatch them off and lock them. Then I can let the clowns in one or two at a time and take them out slowly.

Don't you lose control of the hatch as soon as a clown passes through, making it impossible to lock it against the rest of them?

(Haven't played DF since 31.21, in case this has changed since then)

I REMEMBER NOW!!! I just realized that, rather than locking/unlocking the hatch, I'd connected it to a lever. That way it didn't matter whether I controlled it or not, and my filter system is still sound!
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 11:12:13 am »

Hatches as well can prevent upward building destroyers.  And they can be easily locked by hand, no slow-acting levers.

Wait hatches block building destroyers going up? Well I never knew that.

I tested this. A hatch over a stair CAN be destroyed by a building destroyer creature standing on the stairs one level below, but ONLY if the hatch isn't forbidden. For some reason, once the hatch is forbidden, the BD creature can't attack it, or perhaps chooses not to.

It's probably a combination of the latter and pathing - once the hatch is forbidden, there's no path to the rest of the fort, so the critter sees no point in attacking, maybe? I dunno. But I definitely tested it with a forgotten beast rising up from the caverns, and forbidding the hatch definitely protected me from it.

I didn't try any lever arrangement, though, so I can't say for sure whether lever-controlled hatches are safe or vulnerable to BD creatures 1 level underneath.
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 05:28:49 pm »

This is most peculiar.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 05:32:49 pm »

What about ramps? Can they destroy non-forbidden hatches that way too? Science must be done.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 05:37:22 pm »

This raises three questions for me.

1. Can hatches be lockpicked from below?
2. Can flying building-destroyers fly over a moat and tear down the drawbridge while in mid-air above said moat?
3. Will the drawbridge, if lowered, atomsmash the flyer or will it push him down a Z level into the moat?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 05:41:32 pm »

I belive that, in regards to #2, only if they actually get behind the bridge.

For #1 you'd need to capture a thief, gremlin or kobold. Goblin thief should be the easiest.

For #3, you could build a test chamber with a moat and a drawbridge (no way around the bridge) and release a flier there, wait for it to occupy the empty air square and lower the bridge.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 05:45:24 pm »

Yes ... testing shouldn't be too hard but it'll take time I don't have.

The earliest I can do this is November 11th.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 06:12:38 pm »

I was under the impression that a drawbridge could be destroyed if the destroyer could stand on one of the tiles it normally occupies when it's lowered... so if / is the bridge when raised, and _ is a tile it lowers into, then
fort /__ baddy would not be safe, and fort __\ baddy would be safe. I might just be spouting a myth though. If anyone knows of a good !!science!! thread that tests this, please link, and If anyone has had any !!fun!! experiences with this, please post. Also curious if flyers can break through doors/windows/bridges in mid air, or if they need solid ground next to it...
That has nothing to do with BUILDINGDESTROYER and everything to do with (BODY_)SIZE - drawbridges only deconstruct when attempting to atomsmash large creatures.

I am unaware of any circumstances under which building destroyers have ever been able to destroy drawbridges.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 06:50:35 pm »

woops
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:00:10 pm by Kilroy the Grand »
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:48 pm »

This.... would actually be interesting, if you make it just right I suppose you could use DF to model infectious diseases, through thousands of years. Maybe make a world filled with zombies or Things.

This has made me even more excited for the next version.

Sir, I belive your posted on the wrong thread, the one you refer to is over at general discussion.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 07:00:35 pm »

Sir, I belive your posted on the wrong thread, the one you refer to is over at general discussion.

Serves me right for looking at more than one thread at a time.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 [2]