Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vampires, zombies, necromancers, meh....  (Read 5119 times)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires, zombies, necromancers, meh....
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 02:15:13 am »

Cmon now. We really don't need to be trolling each other over this.
Who's trolling? These look like legitimate opinions to me.
While you complain about clothes (an understandable complaint) please do note that there're now things like adv-mode working dragonfire and new interactions which summarize and unite many different old things in a new pattern.
Translation: MOAR BUGS.

While I wouldn't particularly use the word trolling, since that's a declaration that you believe the person is being disingenuous, the posters that seem to actively try to interpret everything as negative are quite annoying.

The translation of "new features" is not "new bugs". It's "new features". Absolutely, bugs result from the new features, since programming and coding is not easy. But being bothered by new features simply because there will be bugs accompanying them is very small-minded. There's no consideration of the added perks of these specific new features. It seems like whining because the person wants to whine. The worst kind of angry people are the ones who want to stay angry.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 06:18:12 am »

The translation of "new features" is not "new bugs". It's "new features". Absolutely, bugs result from the new features, since programming and coding is not easy. But being bothered by new features simply because there will be bugs accompanying them is very small-minded.
For me, neglected bugs and new bugs make for me impossible to enjoy new features. I am not bothered by new features specifically, but by Toady priorites.

Disclaimer: I do not intended to troll. I just see that many persons ignore or are not bothered by bugs, sometimes even claiming there are hardly any bugs in game (!!!). Reasons are various, from blind fanboyism through just skipping buggy parts (not using marksdwarves at all, for example) to using workarounds so automatically that one just stop percieving them as workarounds (one beekeeper EVAR is just simplest).

Okay, I am shutting up now.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 06:40:15 am »

I don't think anyone claims that there aren't any bugs.
Most of us just go "Eh, it'll be fixed when it's fixed" and get over it.
*Hugs*

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 07:37:04 am »

The translation of "new features" is not "new bugs". It's "new features". Absolutely, bugs result from the new features, since programming and coding is not easy. But being bothered by new features simply because there will be bugs accompanying them is very small-minded.
For me, neglected bugs and new bugs make for me impossible to enjoy new features. I am not bothered by new features specifically, but by Toady priorites.

Disclaimer: I do not intended to troll. I just see that many persons ignore or are not bothered by bugs, sometimes even claiming there are hardly any bugs in game (!!!). Reasons are various, from blind fanboyism through just skipping buggy parts (not using marksdwarves at all, for example) to using workarounds so automatically that one just stop percieving them as workarounds (one beekeeper EVAR is just simplest).

Okay, I am shutting up now.

So are you angry because some people enjoy the game and you don't? Try to accept that bugs are a fact of life in any software in development, and try to stop viewing yourself as a costumer.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 04:52:22 pm »

I don't think anyone claims that there aren't any bugs.
Most of us just go "Eh, it'll be fixed when it's fixed" and get over it.

And if there is, I think they're not actually thinking "there are no bugs" as much as they are "there are no bugs I am bothered by/interfers with my experience".
Love, scriver~

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 05:35:17 pm »

Quote from: YetAnotherStupidDorf
(not using marksdwarves at all, for example)

I am tired of seeing this but no one explaining exactly how marksdwarves aren't working. They work fine for me, I've trained them with both archer targets and live targets and have tested them in archer towers, behind fortifications, and behind my melee fighters. The only problem I have is that they work too well, shooting a dragon in the head with one masterwork bone bolt from a masterwork bone crossbow while behind a fortification is a bit anticlimatic to me. That dragon never had a chance :(

To the OP: Most likely not. However, enjoying textile industry above all the other things that are coming out are a matter of personal preference. Since Toady is designing the game, I believe we are stuck with his preference. Expanding on this, if a game designer doesn't enjoy his work it tends to become stale, so as long as Toady is enjoying himself I'm fine with whatever greatness he does.

Hospitals and crutches used to not work either.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 06:03:04 pm »

I am tired of seeing this but no one explaining exactly how marksdwarves aren't working. They work fine for me, I've trained them with both archer targets and live targets and have tested them in archer towers, behind fortifications, and behind my melee fighters. The only problem I have is that they work too well, shooting a dragon in the head with one masterwork bone bolt from a masterwork bone crossbow while behind a fortification is a bit anticlimatic to me. That dragon never had a chance :(
The way that Marksdwarves aren't working is that they shoot very quickly and are so potent that even things like dragons never have a chance. Not actually a bug so much as a design element that could use revision.

To the OP: Most likely not. However, enjoying textile industry above all the other things that are coming out are a matter of personal preference. Since Toady is designing the game, I believe we are stuck with his preference. Expanding on this, if a game designer doesn't enjoy his work it tends to become stale, so as long as Toady is enjoying himself I'm fine with whatever greatness he does.
Toady's preferences are the ultimate determiner, but he takes the community's opinions into account too.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 06:19:19 pm »

The way that Marksdwarves aren't working is that they shoot very quickly and are so potent that even things like dragons never have a chance. Not actually a bug so much as a design element that could use revision.

Really? Because the way marksdwarves seem to be not working for me is sending them out with masterwork silver crossbows, masterwork iron bolts, and a nice strategical position for them to give covering fire, and then watching them decide to run off and play whack-a-goblin instead.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:27:36 pm by King DZA »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »

The only problem I have is that [Archers] work too well, shooting a dragon in the head with one masterwork bone bolt from a masterwork bone crossbow while behind a fortification is a bit anticlimatic to me. That dragon never had a chance :(
I'm not sure if I agree with you.  I had a Bush Titan made of amber on the fortress I'm currently working on.  Kept it isolated and used the archers on it.  Chipped almost all of the creature (I think the right foot didn't get coloured red in its health) but no way it could be said to be dying.  It had two or three dozen masterworked metal bolts stuck in it, as well as various lesser ones.

Eventually, some migrants wandered in on the same path as I was keeping it isolated on, so I just opened the route and let the archers do whatever they wanted, for the hell of it.  One of them went in there, bit down on some of its body parts (including head) it a few times and it got hit by the crossbow-hammerblows from another.  Bits started flying off and it eventually it died from its "lower body" being struck by a crossbow.

No fatalities (squad or migrants) on my part.  And I've no idea if this means that archers work too well or not, but the bolts only really slowed it down, at best. :)

(I was supposed to beware it's deadly spittle, but on the frozen biome it appears that the spinning frozen spittle has not (yet!) caused any syndromes, even though there were a couple of bruisings when they couldn't be dodged by any unarmoured guys or their pets. :) )

Slightly ninjaed by King DZA's response, except that I had purposefully kept them away, quite easily, and then decided to let them have a go anyway.

As far as the issue at hand, I'd rather like a foolproof way of getting discarded clothing/equipment (generally from uniform changes) back indoors, rather than sitting where the unit disbanded (either because the job at hand was done or at a month's end tour-of-duty finish).  I rather suspect that items marked for dumping don't move because they belong to someone else, but if I find out who they belong to and give them an appropriate container to put them in, in their room, still nothing gets moved.  Combine with more realistic clothes management (or at least, if this still applies, disowning of unwanted garments) and "cannot store item, no access" errors that can occasionally be quite hard to track down and correct.

But I'm also quite intrigued about the 'meh'-terminated list in the subject, to be honest.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 04:47:27 pm »

Really? Because the way marksdwarves seem to be not working for me is sending them out with masterwork silver crossbows, masterwork iron bolts, and a nice strategical position for them to give covering fire, and then watching them decide to run off and play whack-a-goblin instead.
Are you sure you properly set up their ammo situation and did not give them shields/second weapons, and did not mix ammo/weapon types in the same squad? Because it NEVER happened to me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 06:15:08 pm »

While there without question are bugs in the game of course I have found none, literally none, that bother me or are in any way game breaking.  I have no issue using marksdwarves or the military in general (in fact I don't use traps or walling off my fort so I rely 100% on the military to defend me even with Fortress Defense II mod, so I assure you it works and I have a highly customized military).

I could probably sit here for a bit and list out various bugs that I recall but again as I sit and think I cannot come up with any that are in any way gamebreaking, heck I cannot even come up with any that have a notable impact on my ability to enjoy the game (unless you count FPS issues which is more of a limitation than a bug, but honestly given how hard I make the game for myself I rarely run into that anymore either).

The few bugs I do notice either have easy enough work-arounds (seasonal auto-save for the occasional crash) or are trivial in the grand scheme of things (yea.. Bone artifacts..).

Now of course its perfectly reasonable to have the opinion that Toady should focus more on bug fixes than on adding new features (which themselves will bring more bugs) but the perennial suggestion that Dwarf Fortress is just riddled with bugs that make the game unplayable (or at the very least make the game significantly less fun) is absurd, and I assure you my opinion has nothing to do with being a 'blind fan boy'. 
Pages: 1 [2]