Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampires, zombies, necromancers, meh....  (Read 5116 times)

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampires, zombies, necromancers, meh....
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:31:48 pm »

...in the next version will my dwarves actually put on new clothes instead of ignoring acres full of clothing bins while they prance around in tattered rags, like they do now?

Undead. Hmph. You and your 'fantasy' gaming. Give me a functioning textile industry: now THAT'S proper entertainment. :)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires, zombies, necromancers, meh....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:36:35 pm »

You could bypass that problem by making a civilian military gear setup and order everyone to wear actual clothes all the time.

But yeah, I hope we'll get the "NEVER REPLACE CLOTHING BY THEMSELVES" bug fixed soon.
Although it's nice to be able to just tell everyone to get on some clothes and maybe carry a weapon too.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 01:40:09 pm »

Unfortunately even that workaround doesn't work with miners and woodcutters... there's another bug where the dwarf is too thick-skulled to realize he can use his military-issue tool to accomplish a civilian task.

Especially via decorations, you can have your dwarves make very cool clothes. But the dwarves will not wear the cool clothes. Dwarves in cool clothes are cooler than dwarves not in cool clothes. Y little man go naked? It gives eataTREE a sad.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 01:44:52 pm »

I've never had a problem getting my civvies in civ-squads putting on decorated clothes. The way I see is that they go after the best quality clothing that is around and put that on. If you have stuff decorated, they might not be masterwork pants so they go unused.

Also, I think someone did SCIENCE on miner and woodcutter dorfs and it MIGHT have been that if you tell them to use 2 picks in their military equipment orders, they'll actually carry a pick that they consider a working tool. Can't remember if that was how it went, it's in a thread somewhere in Dwarf Mode forum.

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 01:49:49 pm »

Your post came rather close to making my beard angry.
...but.. I do agree.. in a sense.
It would sort of be like playing a different sort of fantasy game with dragons and magic and zombies and things.. but your character couldn't figure out how to put his shoes on.

(..not to say that many a dwarven warrior hasn't slaughtered his foes barefooted before,  but you know what I'm saying.)

That being said.. I think Dwarf Fortress has came quite a long way in the name of 'realism', compared to many other games of this type.
(If DF could be properly given a 'type', that is.. fantasy?  RPG?)
I think suffering a slightly hobbled clothing industry isn't much to ask in a game where you can create a mile-high tower out of soap and cat bones.
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 02:29:26 pm »

Found the thread for getting miners to use armor AND pickaxes both during work and fighting.

SPREAD THE WORD!
AND LOVE!

Probably works just the same for woodcutters too.
Just replace the pick part with axes.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 02:42:40 pm »

Oh that's cool. Of course it would still be preferable if civilians simply replaced clothing by themselves -- it's not like Fort Mode DF is exactly suffering from a lack of micromanagement. :) Thanks for the info!

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 02:45:51 pm »

That being said.. I think Dwarf Fortress has came quite a long way in the name of 'realism', compared to many other games of this type.
I think suffering a slightly hobbled clothing industry isn't much to ask in a game where you can create a mile-high tower out of soap and cat bones.

And that is the very reason why, in games, realism doesn't matter.
It's coherence we're looking for. DF has excessive amounts of the former and (as of now) severe deficiency of the latter.
Oh hey, I'm a poet and I don't know it. Some elf skulls I need to... shatter?
<3

Reganomics

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 03:44:22 pm »

Your post came rather close to making my beard angry.
...but.. I do agree.. in a sense.
It would sort of be like playing a different sort of fantasy game with dragons and magic and zombies and things.. but your character couldn't figure out how to put his shoes on.

(..not to say that many a dwarven warrior hasn't slaughtered his foes barefooted before,  but you know what I'm saying.)

It does have a genre.  If you look at all df's predessors like dk1 and 2 in 97 and 99, Startopia in 01, evil genius in 04 among others, it is considered a part of the rts/god/city building genre.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 04:09:47 am »

While you complain about clothes (an understandable complaint) please do note that there're now things like adv-mode working dragonfire and new interactions which summarize and unite many different old things in a new pattern.

Tarn has a weird development schedule, but with this new release we still get quite a few old problems solved :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 12:59:32 pm »

While you complain about clothes (an understandable complaint) please do note that there're now things like adv-mode working dragonfire and new interactions which summarize and unite many different old things in a new pattern.

Tarn has a weird development schedule, but with this new release we still get quite a few old problems solved :).
He has a development schedule? :P (PLEASE GREAT TOAD HAVE MERCY!)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »

You have to mod to make it out of cat bones, usually... But I have to agree. I just hope he finds time to fix it at some point.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 04:17:56 pm »

Translation: MOAR BUGS.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 06:03:56 pm »

Cmon now. We really don't need to be trolling each other over this.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 10:43:06 pm »

Cmon now. We really don't need to be trolling each other over this.
Who's trolling? These look like legitimate opinions to me.
Pages: [1] 2