Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My New Embark has 13k+ Candy (Spoilers)  (Read 3254 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My New Embark has 13k+ Candy (Spoilers)
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:50:49 pm »

According to Prospector, my current fort has approximately 13,800 raw adamantine waiting in the depths, roughly eleven times the amount of hematite, which is the only other weapon/armor grade metal available. It also had a cave-in on embark, leading to the discovery of a masterwork adamantine scimitar in the depths. I do know what this means, in terms of what to expect when I go to collect my prize, but...

Hmm...

As a relative newbie - one who has never survived a siege, even by walling himself in (seriously, that was the moment the gates were open and the fort's populace were swarming out en masse to collect the prizes left behind by the slaughtered human caravan), I'm left feeling compelled to ask for suggestions. This embark is obviously pretty awesome. It's a 4x4 embark with a volcano, lots of cliffs, clay (not fire clay, though), sand, a brook, a demon temple, the aforementioned absurd amount of adamantine, and over 100,000 units of microcline. What, pray tell, should I do here?

Edit: It was genned using the LNP, with the default tileset and exotic animals disabled. A pre-embark save is available here.
Spoiler: Embark Location (click to show/hide)

Edit2: Cavern level 2, along the north edge, is letting water run off the map, while it flows on from four other points. You may want to hit that quick-like with a little DFLiquids action to prevent massive FPS drain.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:55:11 pm by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My New Embark has 13k+ Candy (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:53:02 pm »

Pack up and upload the save. I want in on some of this goodness.

Anyway - pure adamantine aboveground castle, anyone?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:00:16 pm »

Build an adamantine structure that is an exact copy of the slade structure.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:12:08 pm »

Build an adamantine structure that is an exact copy of the slade structure.

Ambitious! One catch, though - the slade structure is surprisingly large. I took a peek with reveal, and I think it might require more adamantine than is available to replicate it with. I suppose I could fill in the rest with microcline, but that seems like a cop out, somehow.

Pack up and upload the save. I want in on some of this goodness.

Anyway - pure adamantine aboveground castle, anyone?

Take it from someone who has embarked with up to 25000 blocks before - it never goes quite as far as you think it will. :P I could probably make a small castle, and that'd require quite a bit of terraforming first. Well, unless the caverns happen to be really open; then I could build a smaller adamantine castle around the volcano's magma tube as it passes through one of them. Then I could install a pump or two higher up, and have a pressurized magma defense system... Hmm.

I'm beginning to think I have to move down into the caverns.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »

Not all that addy might be (easily) reachable either.

I'm wondering if 13k is enough to represent a glitch, or if it's just an unaligned 4x4 that got really lucky
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 03:06:09 pm »

I'm wondering if 13k is enough to represent a glitch, or if it's just an unaligned 4x4 that got really lucky

I'm thinking unaligned that got really lucky, combined with what appears to be a bit of a glitch.
Spoiler: Cavern Information (click to show/hide)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:49:38 pm »

Find a way to use all of it, preferably in the most useless way possiable. Clothing, toys, etc.

All of it.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:10:41 pm »

Find a way to use all of it, preferably in the most useless way possiable. Clothing, toys, etc.

All of it.

ALL

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 08:07:44 pm »

All of it.

Is using DFLiquids to ensure every piece of it is actually acquirable acceptable for this task?

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 08:36:43 pm »

I'm thinking unaligned that got really lucky, combined with what appears to be a bit of a glitch.
Spoiler: Cavern Information (click to show/hide)
Your saying there is a demon fortress here?

Thank you based god.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 06:11:38 am »

Your saying there is a demon fortress here?

Thank you based god.

I am indeed. The red circle indicates the demon fortress' location, while the cyan stars indicate the location of the adamantine veins. Interesting to note that you should be able to reduce the embark to 2x2 and still get the temple and two veins.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 09:07:40 am »

I can play a larger area so thats wonderful so one question...
How large are the caverns?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:48:34 am by Kromgar »

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 10:25:36 am »

I can play a larger area so thats wonderful so one question...
How large are the caverns?

Erm, massive. Generated the world with maximum Openness and minimum Passage Density, so they're literally cavernous. As mentioned previously, the third cavern layer is also extremely tall.

If you just started playing, and are experiencing significant lag, please see the second edit of my first post - the second cavern layer has a leaky section that'll require patching to prevent early FPS death. Sadly, this is located directly above the demon temple, so if your embark includes that spot you'll have to deal with it one way or another, I suspect.

Alright, here's what I'm going to do:

1- Re-embark. Same location, just a completely clean start better tuned to what I know is coming.
2- Dig straight down to the first cavern layer. There's a magma pool there, and it's connected to the second cavern layer by a passage. This will become my dwarves' front yard.
3- Quarry stone wherever necessary to build a pseudo-aboveground cluster of huts near the magma pool, while at the same time converting it into a sweatshop slave labor camp center of industry for my settlement.
4- Dig further. The goal is to begin acquiring the adamantine as quickly as possible (seriously, it's available before the iron is), and with its help, clear out the demon temple so that it can be colonized. Dwarves of sufficient merit will be given rooms in the temple.
5- Embrace glorious warfare in the true Sontaran Dwarven fashion! It may be ambitious, but I intend to conquer hell this time!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:55:12 am by Keldane »

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 01:35:36 pm »

Hmm, can you just post the worldgen info?
Or don't you have it anymore?
There seems to be an aquifer in the sand, and I have no idea what to do. (guess I could learn how to drain it, but it was where I planned my fortress, so....)
greetz, Freddy

EDIT:
I guess I modded it out, so no need anymore
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:01:22 pm by Frelus »
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 02:25:02 pm »

Hmm, can you just post the worldgen info?
Or don't you have it anymore?
There seems to be an aquifer in the sand, and I have no idea what to do. (guess I could learn how to drain it, but it was where I planned my fortress, so....)
greetz, Freddy

You're right, there's an aquifer in the sand. Even on a 2x2 embark, though, you're likely to be covering more than one biome, and should be able to dig around the aquifer to get below. I'll put up the gen info in a sec.

Edit: Okay, it took more than a sec for me to get around to it. >_> Gen parameters:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:52:59 pm by Keldane »
Pages: [1] 2