Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Immersive Dwarf Fortress in ASCII Art  (Read 9036 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immersive Dwarf Fortress in ASCII Art
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 06:10:02 pm »

You also apparently lack anything for Taste, Smell or Listen in the fortress.

We dont do taste/smell/listen for rooms. Most people dont bother with that. But try them on the dwarves and the items that the vendor sells, and you'll notice I dont forget to fully describe them ;)
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:02 pm »

Well then, my puzzle lot is complete, though I need feedback on it. Thus, @tel #34313 for anyone willing to attempt to disarm my puzzles! (Some of them may be a bit challenging, others a bit too easy). Word of warning though: If multiple people are attempting to solve the puzzles at the same time, things might get a biiiiit confusing :P

EDIT: Oh and if you rate the lot, please leave comments on what can be improved.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:31:53 pm by Poltifar »
<@Akroma> eh

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 10:08:53 pm »

Vattic, you'll have to use their web-client and make an account on the MUSH. Once you tell me your name I can give you instructions on how to either add it yourself or send me the art to add it.
Name in game: Vattic

The standalone drawing client has an option for exporting to text which the game can apparently handle. The client has a few more features than the web based one and doesn't being a menu up on right click which is why I'm using it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 10:43:31 pm »

Vattic, you'll have to use their web-client and make an account on the MUSH. Once you tell me your name I can give you instructions on how to either add it yourself or send me the art to add it.
Name in game: Vattic

The standalone drawing client has an option for exporting to text which the game can apparently handle. The client has a few more features than the web based one and doesn't being a menu up on right click which is why I'm using it.

Right. The exported code that the standalone client gives can be input into the game. If it's a small picture, i recommend exporting it with first option, and with last option if it's a large picture.
<@Akroma> eh

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 11:31:40 am »

Ah, didn't realize you were using the download one.
If you use that you can simply export the code and then PM it to me, and I can get it added alright (with credits to you..trying to convert all rooms to have a 'credits' command to show who made the room).

If you use the web-based one, the easiest way if you aren't going to help a lot is to save the art to an object, then name it something with 'lolhead' in it and place it in your mailbox, after @desc'ing it with the name of the picture saved on it and @set it=chown_ok. Then I can easily transfer it over.

If you do want to help a lot, let me know your username and I'll set you on edit allow for the zone.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »

Alright, my Plasma Engineering puzzle is finally 100% completed, with an award and everything. Shameless plug: @tel #34313

Now for the DF lot: Quinn, i've been thinking about the maze vault idea, and I notice that to make a worthwhile one we'd need at least 2-3 dozen rooms, which seems a bit excessive. Maybe we should skip  that and just have a large stone door with many, many, many levers? And activating the wrong ones and such dumps lava on the person? :P
<@Akroma> eh

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 05:58:29 pm »

Alright, my Plasma Engineering puzzle is finally 100% completed, with an award and everything. Shameless plug: @tel #34313

Now for the DF lot: Quinn, i've been thinking about the maze vault idea, and I notice that to make a worthwhile one we'd need at least 2-3 dozen rooms, which seems a bit excessive. Maybe we should skip  that and just have a large stone door with many, many, many levers? And activating the wrong ones and such dumps lava on the person? :P
That works too. xD It doesn't have to be uber complex, just a little fun puzzle.
Unless we want an award.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:28 pm »

If you just want something simple, heck, I dont even need to work on coding a whole room. I'll make a small puzzle object that can just be plugged to an exit to lock/unlock it. So if you want to make the vault as you wanted before quinn, go ahead. I'll make a simple multiple-switch lock for the door.
<@Akroma> eh
Pages: 1 [2]