Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garry's Mod  (Read 1732 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Garry's Mod
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:17:21 pm »

Figured I'd make a topic for Garry's Mod. I'm kinda bad at summaries though, so I just kinda copy pasted Wikipedia.

For those who don't know, Garry's Mod is a sandbox physics game using the Source engine.
Garry's Mod requires the user to own at least one game on Steam based on the Source
engine, such as Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Portal, or Team Fortress 2.
It has no game objective and players can use the game's set of tools for any purpose.

I've been searching for quite some time to play wooden wars with. I figured bay12 would be
a good next place to search. In wooden wars, you build a tank/plane/boat/fort/anything out
of wood and other breakables, and shoot at other players who do the same. It's not actually
a gamemode, just sort of a mini-gamemode, and due to this can be played pretty on any
sandbox server. Mods like advanced dupe help though, for not spending half an hour rebuilding
your tank after it explodes from one missile. It kind of lacks an official server though, so it's
hard to find people who want to play, especially with the gmod community as it is.

Main rules I would play with are:
1. All movement related things(thrusters, wheels, etc) must be attached to breakable props.
2. Some unbreakable props are allowed, as long as it doesn't cover a significant amount of your construction.
3. Explosive barrels are not allowed as missiles(they're essentially nukes), but you can use them as a "fuel source" that when hit destroys your tank/etc.
4. If all players run out of ammo, the fight can be delayed until reloading is complete.
5. In larger games, players will have to move back to their base(if one exists) to reload.
There's a spawnlist here with instructions on how to install it. http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=21148
It makes things much easier, but you can use things from outside the list.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: Garry's Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:44:31 pm »

I know for a fact that I made a Topic about this game once. Try using the search button next time you want to talk about a game which thread isn't in the first ten or so pages.

(( Don't take that too seriously :P ))
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:00:22 pm »

I downloaded it off steam but it only worked once...
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:11:26 pm »

I know for a fact that I made a Topic about this game once. Try using the search button next time you want to talk about a game which thread isn't in the first ten or so pages.
(( Don't take that too seriously :P ))
Weird, I did use the search button. Only searched topic titles, but when i didn't every post with the game name in it came up, and there were way to many.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.