Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 8030 times)

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2011, 10:16:14 pm »

Indeed, the new Necron vehicles do look awful, although I also extend that position to the new flayed ones and the fat necron overlords. Not particularly keen on the little crown/headdress things a lot of them have now too. I think it looks too much like those paper crowns they used to give out to kids at Burger King. I like the immortals and the deathmarks though.

I don't actually play 40k, as I don't have enough models yet (I keep on picking up models from different armies to paint) My favorites are definitely the Dark Eldar, Tau, and Sisters of Battle. (roughly in that order).

My total 40k stuff:

Total Dark Eldar: 1 Ravager, 9 wyches+Hekatrix, 1 Succubus, 1 Homunculus (converted from spare ravager parts, modelling putty ('green stuff') and a wych arm) and a single trueborn (converted from ravager parts-my current favorite model).

Tau: 1 firewarrior team+ 1 stealth team.

Imperial Guard: 1 squad of normal guardsmen. I had a lot of fun learning to freehand numbers and symbols onto their shoulder pads.

Space Marines: Assault on Black reach. These models are pretty poor quality. at some point I will finish them, probably. They take a lot of work to look decent due to a lack of detail, and have boring poses. I have three finished right now that I like, each done in a different color scheme, as a testbed for if I ever get more marines- 1 Imperial Star, Eagle Warrior (it was fun to do a halved design) and a custom nameless chapter with a yellow blue color scheme with white shoulder pads (it looks better than it sounds-honest!)

Orks: Again, Assault on Black Reach. I like these a lot more then the space marines from the same box, as they have a lot of varied parts that can be mixed and matched. No particular ork clan, I had a lot of fun using some pretty garish color schemes and designs on these guys.

Misc: 1 crusader, 1 servo skull, and 1 scribe-servitor.

I might post some pictures if I can get my camera to work.

My first purchase was assault on black reach, which was a *bit* of a mistake. I was hoping for a much higher degree of detail considering what I paid. The Space Marines are only slightly above plastic green army men in detail. Nonetheless, I was able to use them to practice on them and get better. Dark Eldar seems to be the direction I am going in, although if Tau or Sisters get some nice new models, I might buy some of them. (translate: I will never have enough models to play a proper game of 40k)

What are other people collecting? Anyone got any pictures of their armies to share?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2011, 10:30:32 pm »

Thanks to Assault on Black Reach, I probably have enough models for a Space Marine army. I have the AoBR models (Captain, Tactical Squad, Terminator squad, Dreadnought), plus a 1/2 Devastator squad, a 1/2 Assault squad, and half a scout squad.

I've also got the orks from AoBR, nothing extra.
A single squad of Imperial Guardsmen.

Finally, and my favorite group, the Tau army I put together. Fire Warrior squad, Kroot carnivore squad with Shaper and Krootox, Crysis commander with bodyguard, Ethereal, Stealth team, Devilfish transport, and Hammerhead gunship.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2011, 01:58:20 pm »

So does no one care about the fact that a monolith can insta-kill a dreadnought or the Uber death dealing cannon thing?

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »

So does no one care about the fact that a monolith can insta-kill a dreadnought or the Uber death dealing cannon thing?

While I don't have the codex I haven't heard anything about the monolith being able to do that. I thought it had mostly the same killing ability (other than some sort of 'strength test or die', but that's short range, I don't know if it affects walkers and even if it did dreadnoughts would survive 5/6 of the time).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2011, 03:23:24 pm »

While I don't have the codex I haven't heard anything about the monolith being able to do that. I thought it had mostly the same killing ability (other than some sort of 'strength test or die', but that's short range, I don't know if it affects walkers and even if it did dreadnoughts would survive 5/6 of the time).

Yeah, some funky inverse portal ;P

Acid

• Bay Watcher
  • Self-diagnosed hardcore lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2011, 03:42:30 pm »

I have a ~500 point SM Blood Raven army (tactical squad + assault squad + land speeder + dreadnaught).

Yeah, I'm a peasant :D

Started in 4ed, when 5ed rules came out, my enthusiasm dropped a little. When 5ed SM came out, my enthusiasm dropped even more (seriously, they transformed SM from a flexible and formidable jack-of-all-trades army into a pretty static force that had some outstandingly task specific units (e.g. want supreme melee, choose sternguards, want supreme range, choose vanguards, etc.))
Then the new Tyranid codex came out, which completely changed the lookout of most 'nid armies, forcing them to include many big baddies and refrain from using swarms (so, in turn, this changed their fluff).
Finally, the ridiculous Blood Angel book came out. Thanks when the shoe dropped for me.
Anything retarded that came after BA (e.g. Dark Eldar, Daemonhunters and Necrons) make me laugh. Seriously, WH40k has become GW's money whore.

(disclaimer: I do not aim to start a discussion whether or not WH40k is becoming better or worse, as that stuff is a precursor to flamewars)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2011, 04:43:39 pm »

Bah, I quite like the new necrons, they've practically turned them into Space Tomb kings, so... Does that make Fantasy GW's money whore too?
I mean, they fleshed out metal robots! METAL ROBOTS! HOW DO YOU DO THAT?!!

And mind you, this is a business out to make money.

But I sure do wish everything was cheaper.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2011, 09:56:05 pm »

I have dream that one day the kits will be what they are worth-10-20 bucks. Never gonna happen though....

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:20 pm »

Just going to say I would have loved the Necron if they were introduced like this in the first place, but I absolutely hate the fluff since they've gone and retconned/changed/deleted/ SO BLOODY MUCH. I would have preferred a middle ground;  The current C'tan are still their gods, but the those C'tan that died became the C'tan shards used in by the New Necron. I have no problem with the Necron leaders having a persona...

See the above? I've changed my mind. New fluff is awesome.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:35 pm »

@Yamgrenade: Oh, I don't know. Chistmas is coming soon, they might release a few mega forces and have a sale.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2011, 01:39:55 am »

@Yamgrenade: Oh, I don't know. Chistmas is coming soon, they might release a few mega forces and have a sale.
Dark Eldar and Space Marines will be getting megaforces.

Just going to say I would have loved the Necron if they were introduced like this in the first place, but I absolutely hate the fluff since they've gone and retconned/changed/deleted/ SO BLOODY MUCH. I would have preferred a middle ground;  The current C'tan are still their gods, but the those C'tan that died became the C'tan shards used in by the New Necron. I have no problem with the Necron leaders having a persona...

See the above? I've changed my mind. New fluff is awesome.

I heard that the C'tan were overthrown in the new codex.... and broken down into shards imprisoned in pocket dimensions. The Deceiver and Nightbringer are explicitely among these. These 'Ctan shards' are little more than slaves to the will of the necron lords, although there might be a few who survived floating around somewhere. Somewhat disappointing way to deal with the problem, I think. They should have just kept the nightbringer and deceiver alive and in control of their own factions of necrons, while having the 'liberated' necrons being a separate faction.

IMO the new lore for the necrons is a decidedly mixed bag, much like their new models.
I have a ~500 point SM Blood Raven army (tactical squad + assault squad + land speeder + dreadnaught).

Yeah, I'm a peasant :D

Started in 4ed, when 5ed rules came out, my enthusiasm dropped a little. When 5ed SM came out, my enthusiasm dropped even more (seriously, they transformed SM from a flexible and formidable jack-of-all-trades army into a pretty static force that had some outstandingly task specific units (e.g. want supreme melee, choose sternguards, want supreme range, choose vanguards, etc.))
Then the new Tyranid codex came out, which completely changed the lookout of most 'nid armies, forcing them to include many big baddies and refrain from using swarms (so, in turn, this changed their fluff).
Finally, the ridiculous Blood Angel book came out. Thanks when the shoe dropped for me.
Anything retarded that came after BA (e.g. Dark Eldar, Daemonhunters and Necrons) make me laugh. Seriously, WH40k has become GW's money whore.

(disclaimer: I do not aim to start a discussion whether or not WH40k is becoming better or worse, as that stuff is a precursor to flamewars)

I actually like the new Dark Eldar. Not so much the new Daemonhunters or Necrons though.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2011, 02:19:16 am »

True...Very much true...But perhaps being turned into shards was all a part of the Deceiver's plans? He can be in many places at once now...
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2011, 03:48:53 pm »

True...Very much true...But perhaps being turned into shards was all a part of the Deceiver's plans? He can be in many places at once now...

But each shard is plotting against itself >_>

Still got the outsider and the void dragon though! Plus, now they're elite choices, you can literally have 3 C'tan shards per normal game.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2011, 06:43:04 pm »

Hopefully. But still, it's GW we're talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]