Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 8041 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 08:20:59 pm »

You may not be happy....
Errr... You may want to stay with the last book. I think a very certain person wrote that book.

Ok, you can't both just say that and leave me hanging - what've they done to my Nurgle troops/daemons?

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 08:23:20 pm »

I play Dawn of War on occasion. In fact, it was my introduction to the universe.

I play...Tau
*ducks thrown objects*

I play Tau too...nothing wrong with Tau at all. If you want OP, go play Blood Angels or Grey Knights. DAMN YOU MATT WARRRRRRRD!

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 08:24:33 pm »

To be quite honest I've never played tabletop but my Dark Eldar playing friend constantly tells me how Imperial Guard and Space Wolves are the most ungodly overpowered and broken pieces of shit all the time.

Which may or may not be true, I of course, couldn't confirm.

In other news, some people (from /tg/) are making a game where you manage a Space Marine chapter, and it will supposedly play as something of a cross between King of Dragon Pass and Dwarf Fortress. Maybe.

At any rate that's over here. Aforementioned angry friend is the highest contributing artist, evidently.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:24 pm »

You may not be happy....
Errr... You may want to stay with the last book. I think a very certain person wrote that book.

Ok, you can't both just say that and leave me hanging - what've they done to my Nurgle troops/daemons?

I haven't read it, but I heard it's pretty broken. It really depends on who wrote it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 08:30:01 pm »

To be quite honest I've never played tabletop but my Dark Eldar playing friend constantly tells me how Imperial Guard and Space Wolves are the most ungodly overpowered and broken pieces of shit all the time.

In other news, some people (from /tg/) are making a game where you manage a Space Marine chapter, and it will supposedly play as something of a cross between King of Dragon Pass and Dwarf Fortress. Maybe.

At any rate that's over here. Aforementioned angry friend is the highest contributing artist, evidently.
That sounds AWESOME.

While I can't comment on Space Wolves, I do know that the only reason Guard infantry are any good is because of their numbers and "orders" system. Guardsmen tend to die horribly in a 1-on-1 fight unless the player REALLY knows what he/she is doing. Being able to give special orders is nice too.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »

They are pretty OP as well, but only for IG if you go mech.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 09:15:12 pm »

Specifically, my pal told me that a Guard player could just spam the shit out of Chimaera's an Guard squads and just sit them in a big line and kill everyone while being impenetrable because no one could feasibly get that many anti tank weapons and still have a chance against the infantry.

Except for the Space Wolves because they're even worse or something.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:58 pm »

My experience with W40K is limited pretty much only to videogames, but what I've seen of it has left me rather unimpressed. I find the grimdark entirely too overblown, too campy and cheesy. My problem with it can be nicely summed up with this. Skulls and gothic arches on the casing of an artillery shell? I'm sorry, I just can't take that seriously.

40k was never meant to be taken seriously.  Somehow people do, but they're doing it wrong.  It's supposed to be ridiculously over the top

I suppose, but there are different kinds of over the top. There's the kind that makes you go "woooow!" and then there's the kind that makes you go "bwahahahaha!". Or to put it another way, there's ridiculously awesome and just plain ridiculous.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 09:47:45 pm »

Specifically, my pal told me that a Guard player could just spam the shit out of Chimaera's an Guard squads and just sit them in a big line and kill everyone while being impenetrable because no one could feasibly get that many anti tank weapons and still have a chance against the infantry.

The current rules do favour mech armies. It used to be that you could potentially kill any vehicle so long as you could get a glancing hit (a lot of small arms could kill a chimera from behind, for example), but now you can only slow them down. Though the honest problem with IG lies more with Leman Russes than anything else.

It's kind of a shame because my dream of deploying an army comprised entirely of conscripts isn't a valid idea any more. Maybe it'll work if I add tanks.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 09:56:12 pm »

Yeah, that's the kind of build I saw once.  Take two full size platoons of Guardsman, and combine them into two ungodly squads of fifty guys, with five lascannons each, and an attached Chimera for each squad.  Sit them behind a solid wall of Chimeras with only the lascannons visible.  You can just keep removing Guardsman from the back of the pack while the lascannons are untouched, and the Chimeras count as 4+ cover for them for concealing so much of the squad, while being AV12 targets themselves.  It's pretty cheese and people hate it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 10:05:19 pm »

Crons all the way.

Though with the update looming they're going to go from being comepletely unplayable to being overplayed and cheesy >_>

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 10:10:24 pm »

What's wrong with Necrons at the moment? I mean, I know they don't have many (any) options, but that's not to say that their units aren't effective.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 10:16:23 pm »

Yeah, that's the kind of build I saw once.  Take two full size platoons of Guardsman, and combine them into two ungodly squads of fifty guys, with five lascannons each, and an attached Chimera for each squad.  Sit them behind a solid wall of Chimeras with only the lascannons visible.  You can just keep removing Guardsman from the back of the pack while the lascannons are untouched, and the Chimeras count as 4+ cover for them for concealing so much of the squad, while being AV12 targets themselves.  It's pretty cheese and people hate it.
I have one word in response to that:
Railgun.

To expand, the railgun has a range of 6 feet (lascannons have a range of 4) and is powerful enough to gut a Land Raider or Monolith, not to mention Chimeras. If your railguns are mounted on Hammerhead tanks, they can also fire an airburst round that can wipe out 10, 15 guardsmen in an instant (same range). God, Tau have awesome guns.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 05:47:52 am »

What's wrong with Necrons at the moment? I mean, I know they don't have many (any) options, but that's not to say that their units aren't effective.

Necrons are 3rd Edition, ever since DE, GK and SOB got updated Necrons are now the weakest race. All of their units are extremely over priced, all of the units are extremely broken and their effectiveness is extremely diminished.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 06:40:47 am »

You may not be happy....

Since the current Chaos Space Marine codex has been out a while it might be updated fairly soon, at one point it was rumoured as the first 6th edition codex. So you might not have to live with the 4th ed for very long, which depending on your army might be a very good thing as it lost a lot from the 3.5 codex.

So what exactly is the problem with it? For some chaos armies it works fine, but many ones, including ones based on the legions, it didn't allow them to do anywhere near the same army. Lets just say that daemons got their own codex. CSM just get generic lesser and greater daemons with no options and annoying summoning rules instead. There's no official ally rules or anything that would allow you to get real daemons. There's more to it than that, but I've not read either the 3.5 or 4 chaos codex, so I'm not the best person to further elaborate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5