Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Tribal Empire  (Read 6536 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tribal Empire
« on: October 26, 2011, 02:05:46 pm »

Introduction

Greetings sire. I am here to greet you and introduce you to your new role as the lord's advisor. The Lord is a very busy man, and whilst he is of noble and incredible character, he is always open to advice from his College of Advisors, that being, you.
It will be your role to aid guide his actions in running the kingdom in many things, but mostly diplomatic. The micro-management side of things is being organized by another sector of the College of Advisors, so that you need not worry about such trivial matters.

Our people have lived in this valley as far as living memory goes, hunting in the forests and fishing in the lakes. Recently, with the incredible breakthrough of an idea called "Farming", we have been forced to settle. A traveler passing by brought this to us, and as such we can predict that others have also settled.

We need to fortify our settlement against raiding monsters, discover who these others are and take things from there.

(If the advisors can't agree on something, you're all thrown into a pot and chosen at random, or averaged out in the case of numeracy).

Setting

Your people are very primitive. They haven't made the move from sharp sticks to stone-tipped spears, they wear fur pelts that are crawling with disease, from not tanning the hides properly, they fish with large rocks, their understanding of buoyancy is a dead body in deep water.
Just in case stupidity, drowning and/or disease doesn't kill them off, you also have to worry about Wolves, Ant-people accidentally burrowing up through into your town center, Goblins, Zombies and the occasional Dragon.

Oh, and your neighbours, if you can find them - or if they find you.

In short, High-fantasy.

Day 1, Month 1, Year 1; Summer

Self-proclaimed King Duke Kun'emm strolled through the grassland along the trampled grass, glancing here and there at tattered tents of animal hide and thick branches, settlers avoiding his gaze and looking on in wonder at the troope. You, and the other advisors, followed his footsteps, listening to his ramblings and thoughts.
He stops and turns to you with a cocked eyebrow. You think for a moment, and then remember what he said last;

"...yes, this settlement needs a name. We can't go about saying we live over there now, can we? What advice do my trusted friends pass to me?"

(Also, please specify what to spend resources on, in the Village Report below! You only need to do this once, except for modifications in the future)

Spoiler: Known World (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Village Report (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:50:25 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribal Empire
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:51:28 pm »

Sadly cant think of a name.

However, 50% towards infrastructure and 50% towards culture, what are we, savages?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 02:56:58 pm »

If you really want to metagame, doing anything other than 100% at a time to each level is silly, as (correct me if I'm wrong) a fraction of a level doesn't do us much good.

I'm thinking Infrastructure or a Village Hall, for more population.

If we don't run like that, then instead let's do:

Infrastructure 40
Village Hall 30
Science 20
Religion 10
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:02:54 pm »

Is there any down side to just shooting 100% towards one thing at a time? Rather, is there an upside to having things not done like that? The only thing I can think of that not getting multiple things done at one time will make our population boom, but make it hard to distribute tech between the tribe...

Anyways, doubling up on Toaster's suggestion.

Infrastructure 40
Village Hall 30
Science 20
Religion 10

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:08:23 pm »

I say should get settled in before we focus on science and such. so:

40% into Fortifications
40% into Infrastructure
10% into a Larger army
10% into a Better army
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:37:45 pm »

Will update in 63 minutes.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 04:03:15 pm »

Azk... I will stab you if you give up on another game so quickly...
Stab you with much glee and laughter...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:06:28 pm »

Define "Give Up", because it was more like "Overwhelmed".
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 04:24:13 pm »

Define "Give Up", because it was more like "Overwhelmed".
Your the one that makes something like that mate. You started on the path knowing how large it would be. Thus, That was giving up...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 04:41:25 pm »

Day 1, Month 3, Year 1; Summer

Duke's nose crinkles and his moustache bristles for a moment, seeming to rub away an itch, then his cracked lips smile from under his beard.
"Yes, yes," he says, nodding with wandering eyes, "that is a sound plan for development."
His eyes glaze over for a moment as he looks around, then a great throaty roar comes forth as he calls for a messenger. A young lad of no more than ten winters comes running up. The boy nods at every individually syllable as the king relays the plans, before speeding off through the tents.
The king turns back to you and the other advisors, half-coughing and half-humming, "Yes well, seeing as you fools are tight-lipped on the question itself, I proclaim this new settlement as Vallandar."

His eyes narrow at you all, individually, waiting for a voice of protest.
Before any of you could even think to, suicidally, protest, his usual bumbling demeanor returns.

"It would seem that some of the fishermen that follow the lake further north have been spotting more activity from the folk across the way recently," he begins, "why they go so far from here is beyond me. They say it's to keep with the fish. Keep with the fish? It's water! If there is water, there is fish, that's what I say. Damned peasants, why must they waste precious time on such tomfoolery? I remember back when I was a child..."
The king went onto one of his usual stories, and at some point, he had begun to turn and move away, going on another aimless stroll.

Around an hour later, he finally got back to the original topic.

"...and that's why my father always used to call for the hunting of Goblins. In any case, the Stranger Folk to the north, over the lake, have been increasing in activity on the lake as of late, and indeed have even been seen ON the lake itself! Some devilry must be behind this, and I wanted to know of it."

The king turned around, and many of the advisors who had fell asleep, yet had kept walking still, snapped awake once more under the King's powerful gaze.

"What advice do you have for me, in this matter? Should we send out our soldiers, hunters or just scouts about the shoreline to try and find a way to them? Or try to get their attention from the shore?"
His face scrunches up once more, shaking away an itch from his long facial hair.
"Or, whatever else you can think of," he says, waving a hand dismissively.

Spoiler: Known World (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vallandar Report (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:00:57 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 05:04:36 pm »

(Also, I'll be playing part as the King in conversation with you guys, aside from the Turn-updates. Saves time, and such. So, questions and discussion away!)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 05:22:25 pm »

I suggest that we send out hunters to investigate.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 05:36:18 pm »

I suggest that we send out hunters to investigate.

"Harumph.. And is it northward or westward you would have them go, if I were to follow this advice?"
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 05:38:08 pm »

"North West Mi'Lord"
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 05:38:33 pm »

Oh, I suppose we should send any investigators north.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7