Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Curiosities about dermatology (melanoma specifically)  (Read 563 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Curiosities about dermatology (melanoma specifically)
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:31:21 am »

So I've been going to a dermatologist for a few years now (Melanoma runs in my family, and some of my moles are starting to look funny.) and I was curious about a few things.

One - The dermatologist after examining a mole will usually say "benign". I know this means the mole is fine, but does this also mean it's going to be fine for the rest of the time it's there? Or that it's just fine for now?

Two - While examining the moles he just uses those big magnifying glasses (as in goes on your face glasses, not literally magnifying glasses :P) for any moles that look fishy, I was wondering if this is normalp? So far none of them have actually grown any (one occasionally scabs over and all that business but it's never actually grown in radius or size) so I don't have any reason to think he's taking the easy way out but I'd like to know anyway because I'm a curious fella.

And

Three - From what I understand so far as I make sure none of the moles get larger then a pencil eraser there isn't a huge chance that anything terribly dangerous is going to happen, right? Nobody in my family has died from melanoma so I think so far as that goes we have a fairly "laid back" strain (if that's even how it works) but again I'd like some answers.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Curiosities about dermatology (melanoma specifically)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 03:18:18 pm »

Okay, that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Only been bleeding so far but I'll mention to the guy when I head in in a few days anyway. Thanks again!