Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wicca  (Read 2314 times)

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wicca
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:30:46 am »

Are there any Wiccans that are on here? I have just started the path of being a solitary practitioner, and I would like to come to good ol' Bay12 to see if anybody can talk to me about it.. If this offends anybody, my sincerest apologies.
He likes the color green, metals, flowers, olivine, and rain for its beauty. When possible, he prefers to consume tea. He absolutely detests social interaction.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wicca
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:37:37 am »

Are there any Wiccans that are on here? I have just started the path of being a solitary practitioner, and I would like to come to good ol' Bay12 to see if anybody can talk to me about it.. If this offends anybody, my sincerest apologies.

Well the only reason I'd ever be offended is mostly by the commercial and spiritual bastardisation of WHATEVER to the extent that anyone who is a practitioner just annoys me in a very similar way many spiritualists do (Dear goodness... Why would Gangis Kahn have an evil soul?)

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:40:39 am »

Yeah, many people misunderstand what Wicca is about. Including some practitioners. I'm not here to preach. Just to talk to some ( if any) experienced people.
He likes the color green, metals, flowers, olivine, and rain for its beauty. When possible, he prefers to consume tea. He absolutely detests social interaction.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:44:49 am »

Yeah, many people misunderstand what Wicca is about. Including some practitioners. I'm not here to preach. Just to talk to some ( if any) experienced people.

It lacks a centralised Dogma so you may have to be more specific anyhow. Your dealing with a Pop-Spiritualism with many practices spread out (like Voodoo for example which, while being more centralised now, was a combination of beliefs).

Not a practitioner mind you...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:47:12 am by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 01:19:32 am »

Welcome to the openly spiritual community of Bay12.

Neonivek is SORT OF right when he says you're likely going to have to outline your particulars*. I'm not going to go so far as to say pop-spiritualism, because I know there are some devout wiccans out there who would be greatly offended by that term. Yes, it can be seen as a hipster religion sometimes, but whatevs. There's a bunch of branches, but every religion has them, so, yeah.

*Unless you don't want. I doubt anyone is going to force you to outline them.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 01:22:00 am »

Hmmm I meant pop quite litterally as in "popular" as in it is popular. So hopefully that will diffuse anyone I may have offended.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:23:40 am by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 01:24:37 am »

This may be a time when you want to limit yourself to either extremely specific or extremely vague words. It's very easy to get into misunderstandings on these topics with word choices.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 01:31:46 am »

This may be a time when you want to limit yourself to either extremely specific or extremely vague words. It's very easy to get into misunderstandings on these topics with word choices.

I am not really worried about offending anyone at this point. In that I am sure someone may be offended but that I am not really worried about them being offended.

Afterall if people want to fish for things to be mad about, so let them. Though I am a bit surprised there hasn't been any response by Wiccans in this topic. Then again given the demographics...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:34:59 am by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 01:39:15 am »

Hold on i got a buddy into Wiccan, what guidance do you ask for?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 01:48:29 pm »

I was Wiccan for quite a few years and actually co-lead a coven for just under two of those years.  I never really followed any of the 'stricter/more dogmatic' paths (Gardnerian/Alexandrian Wicca) preferring to opt for a more freeform and personal style of worship.  I've moved away from Wicca over the last few years and now practice my own form of neopaganism/shamanism which suits me a lot more.  I may not be the most 'qualified' but I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »

Yes, it can be seen as a hipster religion sometimes
Oh gosh, I try to stray away from being a hipster, I didn't even know it was viewed as such. The reason that I've begun is a close friend of mine told me about her and her mom being to practice, I got interested and asked what it was about. Previously to knowing the gist of Wicca (and the backbone of most pagan religions, I suppose) I felt extremely spiritual towards nature anyways. I felt it was a nice way of concentrating those feelings and putting almost a identity to them.
I was Wiccan for quite a few years and actually co-lead a coven for just under two of those years.  I never really followed any of the 'stricter/more dogmatic' paths (Gardnerian/Alexandrian Wicca) preferring to opt for a more freeform and personal style of worship.  I've moved away from Wicca over the last few years and now practice my own form of neopaganism/shamanism which suits me a lot more.  I may not be the most 'qualified' but I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have :)
Yes, that is the way I feel about it, more freeform and personal. I do have a question. How did you find the privacy you need? I don't know what kind of area in which you practiced, but I live in a city, and I find it hard(especially since I'm a college student) to get the kind of privacy that I require.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 03:37:08 pm »

City life has never really appealed to me, so that's one issue I've never had to deal with personally.

Why don't you try taking a bus or train out of town a few times and just wander until you find somewhere that feels right?  Or get to the outskirts of your city and just keep walking?  Failing that, it might be worth looking on Google Earth and scanning your surrounding area for suitable fields/woodland areas.  Many cities have little 'forgotten patches' here and there.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 04:11:58 am »

Much of my family is Wiccian, Norse Neopaganism, to be precise about it.

Personally, I think it's just as fictional as any other religion when it comes to Gods and deities and the supernatural. The ceremonal bits and "Hail Odin!"s are a little silly to me. I see it more as a spiritual focus on nature and honoring ancestors more then, some serious legal framework of their life or morality. Its about freedom, there just isn't any sort of real commitment, dogma, or any demands on a practictioner's lifestyle from a religion like Norse Neopaganism, which makes it fine in my book, even if it isn't my particular cup of tea.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 05:42:02 am »

Hmmm, a friend of mine is a Wiccan, and she does have an account here... although due to a mental disease she has, tying things out can be difficult for her. If I have the time, I think I'll dictate for her any questions you do have on the subject, or put the two of you in touch.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 01:54:20 pm »

Yes, that is the way I feel about it, more freeform and personal. I do have a question. How did you find the privacy you need? I don't know what kind of area in which you practiced, but I live in a city, and I find it hard(especially since I'm a college student) to get the kind of privacy that I require.
Do you have any parks that are popular but that have off hours or seasons? Those are your best bet. School-days during the afternoon, or any time during the winter if you're off the paths most people use were what I'd use when I was into the ritual aspect of some of it, if I couldn't use my backyard for whatever reason. If you're too self-conscious, or people start getting nosy (unlikely really) they're still nice places to chill and 'push' your senses, as I called it.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: [1] 2 3