Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wicca  (Read 2306 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wicca
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 01:56:03 pm »

I hate to be a spoilsport here, but why are you asking us? Why would a video game forum be a good place to learn more about Wicca?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 02:22:07 pm »

This is the Finally... section, which is open to conversation on nearly any topic. Or to rephrase your question, why are you looking at a post about wicca if you're here for video games?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 02:33:21 pm »

It may also be worth wearing a gi or something similar, as any passersby are then likely to assume you're just doing some kind of far eastern meditation and are more likely to leave you alone.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 02:52:19 pm »

Life advice has alot to do with video games, don'tcha know. ;D There's a large park a few blocks away, so I'll have to check out how busy it gets. Thanks for all the help, by the way. I totally appreciate it tons.
He likes the color green, metals, flowers, olivine, and rain for its beauty. When possible, he prefers to consume tea. He absolutely detests social interaction.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 06:31:33 am »

Wasn't Crown into wicca or something like that? Can't remember, but somebody was.
Point is... I don't even know.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »

I've always admired paganism/shamanism/heathenism for its closeness to nature and other ideals, but I've always thought Wicca was kind of a, no offence, watered-down/general form of paganism. Whereas the religion of the indigenous peoples of Europe was very much fused with the culture (probably why it was so hard to convert some of them) and is why there are such things as Norse/Slavic/Roman/Lithuanian forms of neo-paganism, Wicca can be practiced by anyone and has fairly universal set of ideas (winter/summer solstice, holidays and rituals). Don't get me wrong, it's a legitimate religion and I respect it, but I tend to associate more with the pagan heritage of my Slavic ancestors. Of course, I could be totally wrong about all of this, I should have read the wikipedia article more thoroughly  ;D.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:30:47 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 10:22:58 pm »

This is just from a non-practioners perspective, but if a nice, quiet area is what you want, here's a few recommendations.

Check out your local bus routes. Some of them will take you absolutely miles out of town for a cheap price. Throw on your earphones, watch the scenery go by and then have your spiritual time away from all the hustle and bustle. You might have to put up with a bus trip back, but you'll be able to approach it from a better perspective. One of those times where it really is the journey that counts.....

If you're in a dorm, grab an early sleep and wake up around 1am. There's a reason why some modern day wiccans are up around the witching hours. It has nothing to do with rituals or beliefs. It's so they can finally get some peace and quiet.

Start a mini-indoor/window-garden at your apartment/dorm. Not pot-plants, just a raised garden bed (you can get a 5'x18" one for cheap, even if it is plastic). Throw a couple of leafy plants in and some flowering plants/shrubs. It will give you a nice area that you can clear your mind more easily and feel a little more connected with nature, regardless of the amount of concrete views you have. Plus, flowers give a strange feeling of accomplishment when they bloom.

Set up a bird feeder at a window. They might crap everywhere, they might get a bit annoying, they might even be considered flying rodents in some areas, but even a flock of pidgeons can make you feel more connected to the beauty of the world. It depends on where you live, but a bird feeder can get you all kinds of wonderful natural sights, right at your down-town window. I get lorikeets, honey-eaters, magpies, crows, eagles, pheasants and flying foxes at mine. Not a bad mix really.

There's plenty of ways to get into the vibe for some wicca. If its the big-city disconnect that's bothering you, go to nature or bring it to you.
It's a game. Have fun.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 11:13:48 pm »

Are there any Wiccans that are on here? I have just started the path of being a solitary practitioner, and I would like to come to good ol' Bay12 to see if anybody can talk to me about it.. If this offends anybody, my sincerest apologies.

Well the only reason I'd ever be offended is mostly by the commercial and spiritual bastardisation of WHATEVER to the extent that anyone who is a practitioner just annoys me in a very similar way many spiritualists do (Dear goodness... Why would Gangis Kahn have an evil soul?)

I am offended by your miss spelling of Ghenghis Khan D:<

Also, he was da bouse, he made his sword out of iron he found in a meteorite <3
Oh and personally, I find many lulz to be had with religion. Not these religions of course, these are how it should be (if it should exist at all). I'm talking about Dogmatic one's.......

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 12:00:46 am »

Are there any Wiccans that are on here? I have just started the path of being a solitary practitioner, and I would like to come to good ol' Bay12 to see if anybody can talk to me about it.. If this offends anybody, my sincerest apologies.

Well the only reason I'd ever be offended is mostly by the commercial and spiritual bastardisation of WHATEVER to the extent that anyone who is a practitioner just annoys me in a very similar way many spiritualists do (Dear goodness... Why would Gangis Kahn have an evil soul?)

misspelling*, Genghis*.

(my apologies, but the irony was too much)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 02:11:28 am »

It may also be worth wearing a gi or something similar, as any passersby are then likely to assume you're just doing some kind of far eastern meditation and are more likely to leave you alone.

Wouldn't a sign saying "I'm meditating, go away." suffice too?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:36 am »

misspelling*, Genghis*.

(my apologies, but the irony was too much)

If there's one thing I love more than sarcasm, it's irony xD
Also, I was joking ;P Cool thread as well. How do you meditate in wicca?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 08:21:20 am »

You pay 2 action points to meditate for 1d4 rounds. This action allows attacks of opportunity because you need to stay in one spot for a certain amount of time. If you are distracted by a non-visual distraction like a hit or a noise, you must make a Concentration check (DC distraction specific) or lose focus and fail, If the check succeeds, the action continues. If the action succeeds, you gain +2 on defense, +3 on all attack rolls, +1 on all unarmed damage rolls, deal leathal damage on unarmed attacks, and get a +1 Concentration bonus on all skills for 2d6 rounds.

Bear in mind it has int 13 as a prerreq
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 11:33:06 am »

Also, I was joking ;P Cool thread as well. How do you meditate in wicca?
As far as I know there's no established practice in wicca for meditation. It's used by a lot of neo-pagans to clear their mind and allow for other altered states. Basically yet another re-purposed tool that's found its way into the culture. You can use any of several methods.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 04:48:17 pm »

Wasn't Crown into wicca or something like that? Can't remember, but somebody was.
Point is... I don't even know.

You remembered correctly. Or we're both remembering incorrectly. Or something.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:12 pm »

pardon me if I sound ingorant but what is Wicca. Someone said something about our groups being called covens and that got the mental image of a bunch of angsty,"goffic" teens trying to be Wendy the teenage witch but I would love for my mental image to be proved wrong.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone
Pages: 1 [2] 3