Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 73

Author Topic: Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!  (Read 83596 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!
« Reply #555 on: March 07, 2012, 04:23:37 am »

Hey guys I have the first mission scripted now and have allowed for alot of Fun ^-^ it won't be this Saturday but next on the 17th of march and then depending on how often people want games I will either do 1 or 2 times a week. Everyone needs to be in the steam channel on that date at 9:30 GMT (UK)
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 07, 2012, 04:25:27 am »

Also to send me your character sheet please use filesmelt then send the link in a PM through the forums it makes life much easier :)
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 07, 2012, 09:52:12 am »

Just checking, but you got my sheet, right? That link should have triggered a download.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 10, 2012, 11:49:01 am »

Looking forward to next Saturday.

3. Run Resize Enable

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 10, 2012, 02:47:42 pm »

Sorry, I only got 3 sheets and failed to do that game. If I get a few more, I'll do one next weekend.

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 10, 2012, 11:14:55 pm »

I would be interested in joining a game of paranoia some time, but no real clue on how we get together ect, gonna need a crash course in about everything. Main reason I choose paranoia as the pen 'n paper I wanna try out, is that you do not need to know the rulebook like you would in, say, DnD, and sounds much more casual fun not serious Pen and paper overall.

I know, this is a fairly messy post, but I am kind of tired and wanted to get this post out before I forget again.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 10, 2012, 11:16:23 pm »

I would be interested in joining a game of paranoia some time, but no real clue on how we get together ect, gonna need a crash course in about everything. Main reason I choose paranoia as the pen 'n paper I wanna try out, is that you do not need to know the rulebook like you would in, say, DnD, and sounds much more casual fun not serious Pen and paper overall.

I know, this is a fairly messy post, but I am kind of tired and wanted to get this post out before I forget again.
Paranoia is very simple to know, and considering that most of the time the GM doesn't want you to know what you rolled most of it is handled by the GM. So all you do is tell the GM what you want to do.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 11, 2012, 12:10:51 am »

so just checkin' the game is NEXT saturday right? Also this is gm-ed by script right? or teh other dude?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 11, 2012, 03:06:05 am »

so just checkin' the game is NEXT saturday right? Also this is gm-ed by script right? or teh other dude?

By script.

Sorry, I only got 3 sheets and failed to do that game. If I get a few more, I'll do one next weekend.

Sorry, I won't be able to participate; I don't want to keep track of two games at once.  :-\

3. Run Resize Enable

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 11, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »

Would someone mind telling me how all these pen and paper games work?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 11, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »

Well, they usually consist of creating a character with various stats and skills. But since Paranoia on these forums use randomly generated character's, you don't really have to do that. You'll then accomplish different tasks with your group, while the GM (Game Master.) tells the story. You choose what to do in situations, and to see if you succeed or fail the GM would use your stats and roll dice to see if you succeed.

Paranoia is a very easy Pen and Paper game for a beginner, since the GM keeps all rolls secret and rolls for you. All you need to do is tell him/her what you want your character to do.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 11, 2012, 01:49:29 pm »

Long post incoming, of debatable helpfulness and accuracy.

Standard pen and paper games run off of a book of rules. Each character has their own character sheet, detailing the various aspects of their character. One person - the Game Master - creates some sort of adventure or mission for the Player Characters. The GM also controls or plays as all Non-Player Characters (everyone and everything in the game that is not a player). Gameplay occurs primarily verbally, with settings and actions described by the GM; in some cases, miniatures and tabletop maps can be used to help with representation. Whenever a PC (or NPC) tries to do something that requires the use of skills, has a chance of failure, and/or would have success determined by chance, dice (of various numbers) are used; modifiers from the character's sheet and environmental/situational modifiers are added into these die rolls.
For example, here is how an instance of combat would work in many PnP RPG's: Turns in combat are decided by roll of the d20 and addition of Dexterity and additional Initiative modifiers. The PC whose turn it is decides to attack an adjacent enemy with their melee weapon. They roll the d20 to attack, and add their Strength modifier and other attack modifiers, such as weapon proficiency. This is a higher number than the target's defense (which is 10 + armor modifier + Dexterity modifier), so the attack hits. Damage is rolled - for example, 2d6 - and then their Strength modifier is added to the final damage. This number is taken off of the target's health.

Here's the Wikipedia article for Tabletop Role-Playing Game, for further information.

Paranoia as it is run here is a bit different. The players aren't supposed to know the rules. They have a character sheet, but don't necessarily know what it means. The GM handles all rolls, dealing with modifiers. Gameplay in combat is turn-based, but (depending on the GM) not as strictly as many PnP RPG's. The GM tells everyone what everyone can see happening, but can also confer private information to only players who would know what is happening; in addition, players can tell private actions of their character to the GM, rather than performing it publicly. I'm not sure if there's a standard health system in Paranoia. Paranoia tends to be much more chaotic than many other games, often with the PC's working against each other.

Overall, in Paranoia, you say what your player does and the GM makes it so. Everything gets crazy really fast. Everyone WILL die at some point. It's really fun, and easy for anyone to get into.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 11, 2012, 03:22:21 pm »

...standard health system in Paranoia.

Uh, there is sorta a standard health system, but it basically goes from stunned-minor wound-major wound-maimed[loss of limb]-Downed-unconscious-dead, where each hit can do any of those... Commutative damage is sorta subjective though.
Basically you can get hit, and suffer basically no damage, or get hit and insantly die..

Also the gm may/or may not roll to decide where you are hit..

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 11, 2012, 03:56:46 pm »

And may or may not ignore that roll completely for nefarious purposes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 11, 2012, 05:13:51 pm »

Of course, the way our last game of Paranoia went, it might be better described as a game in which the players constantly derail the plot by killing each other. Or in my case, solving the plot by blowing it up.  :P

@Script and others: I will be at a state park for spring break next week, and may or may not be able to get connected to the internet. If I don't make it for the first session (or possibly two), that's why.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 73