Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 73

Author Topic: Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!  (Read 83445 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia RPG + other Pen & Papers
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:49 am »

With each addtional clone you buy/recieve after the original six the chance of "genetic drift" increases. Citizens above BLUE clearance can pay to have defects removed from new clones.

This brings up an interesting question:
Is every BLUE citizen that pays for this service a traitor because they know they have mutant powers and haven't told Friend Computer?
Is every BLUE citizen that DOESN'T pay for this service a traitor because they have mutant powers they aren't telling Friend Computer that they have and wish to keep?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2011, 09:31:06 am »

With each addtional clone you buy/recieve after the original six the chance of "genetic drift" increases. Citizens above BLUE clearance can pay to have defects removed from new clones.

Is every BLUE citizen that pays for this service a traitor because they know they have mutant powers and haven't told Friend Computer?
Is every BLUE citizen that DOESN'T pay for this service a traitor because they have mutant powers they aren't telling Friend Computer that they have and wish to keep?
I havent played Paranoia, but as far as I can tell, yes.

That is to both.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2011, 11:10:29 am »

Actually no, because citizens can register their mutations with Friend Computer, but they have to wear a suit with a yellow stripe (YELLOW citizens have a black stripe) and are subject to the usual Fantastic Racism, as well as being the designated scapegoat.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2011, 11:40:36 am »

Someone want to give me a link to any rulebooks/skillbooks/etc. needed for tonight?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2011, 11:47:01 am »

Actually no, because citizens can register their mutations with Friend Computer, but they have to wear a suit with a yellow stripe (YELLOW citizens have a black stripe) and are subject to the usual Fantastic Racism, as well as being the designated scapegoat.

See emphasis:

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2011, 11:51:47 am »

Every GM is right but as I am a GM (though not of this campaign, I'm running a UV campaign)...

Genetic drift is different from that of mutation. Mutation means you have special powers: Teleportation, Machine Empathy, Charm, stuff that can theoretically be useful for said mutant (even if it can hilariously backfire and it's treasonous if you don't register them). Genetic drift on the other hand is utterly useless: extra fingers, spontaneous twitching, nearsightedness. Mutation is a dangerous but useful tool, drift is just utterly harmful and you should probably try to get rid of it as soon as possible before the GM takes advantage of the drift to do terrible things to you.

There is no stigma for having genetic drift (it's like having a disability, people aren't going to view you as inferior for it...at least not publicly), while there's lot of stigma for having a mutation (how dare does that man commit gene treason and have special powers while I don't!). And because genetic drift is rather obvious to any observer, there's no need to register it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:58:24 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2011, 12:02:43 pm »

Ah!  That makes sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2011, 12:26:51 pm »

I just love the game's name with reference to the story

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't look that is UV knowledge there. Showing UV knowledge in game can terminate your ability to live.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »

I just love the game's name with reference to the story

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't look that is UV knowledge there. Showing UV knowledge in game can terminate your ability to live.

Considering I've seen things that would be considered major spoilers to UV players....

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2011, 01:07:40 pm »

Throw me in as an interested party to playing on JParanoia. Never played it before. I have played other RPGS though.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:36 pm »

I have never played Paranoia and wasn't really interested so far, but oh god a Paranoia game full of Bay12 players? I guess that's just as wacky as with other players given the gameplay it seems to have, but count me in.

I might need an explanation on how to get onto JParanoia, though.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2011, 03:38:22 pm »

Do I not have the clearance for my question to be answered or something?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2011, 03:40:07 pm »

Any [citation needed] P&P RPG can be played over the net. I've played a 40k and a GURPS over IRC, and this one is apparently using the Steam chat.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2011, 05:39:18 pm »

I joined the group, speccing a session..

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2011, 05:48:48 pm »

Yea, I used to play over the net using jparanoia
There used to be a fair amount of games on http://www.paranoia-live.net - haven't been there in a while so I dunno how active it still is...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 73