Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the second part of the dictionary remain in this thread, or get it's own? Also, HA NO MORE ELVES TO VOTE FOR.

Yeshz (new thread)
No (spread amongst posts)
Rethread (New thread, with reserved posts).

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Etymology - Axeford Dorfish Dictionary  (Read 50495 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Etymology - Axeford Dorfish Dictionary
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2011, 09:44:32 pm »

I politely request that definitions 3, 4 and 5 be omitted from the entry for Elf. Besides, a tree-hugger wants to keep trees alive. Cutting down trees OBVIOUSLY kills them.

I have a suggestion to change the definition for Mass Deforestation:

I also request an addition:

N
Spoiler: Nature (click to show/hide)

I only politely ask that these be followed/added. If these are left unanswered or disregarded (i.e. you call me an Elf, to which I take extreme offense), I shall create my own Dictionary that has my definitions in it.

If you rudely demand me to "go be a dick on some other website," I shall ask the Toady One to mute you and lock this thread.

It appears to me you miss the humor in these definitions. Yes, cutting down trees kills them, which is exactly the point of humor in "5. Tree huggers, who defend trees by cutting them down and making weapons with them." It's an ironic fact in Dwarf Fortress that Elves, despite loving trees, trade practically nothing but wood - and how would they obtain this wood? This humor is a part of what makes Dwarf Fortress such a wonderful game with a wonderful community. Even the name of the thread is a humorous point: a pun on "Oxford".

I think I might actually encourage you to make a separate dictionary of your own, full of "true" definitions. I honestly prefer the humorous ones in this thread. Of course, this is only my personal opinion, and I respect yours.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »

It's an ironic fact in Dwarf Fortress that Elves, despite loving trees, trade practically nothing but wood - and how would they obtain this wood?
They probably scavenge dead logs and sticks off the ground around their retreats, but that's just me.

I think I might actually encourage you to make a separate dictionary of your own, full of "true" definitions.
Really? I thought most people would disregard me and think of me as an actual elf. I'll make my own dictionary eventually, when I get more free time on my hands. (I have schoolwork to deal with on weekdays)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2011, 05:06:35 am »

Skull:

3; There are many a myth regarding the unique structure of a dwarven skull, in that it is paper thin. Logical dwarven philosophers and religious philosophers disagree.

The logical group group attributes that the reason a dwarf has such a weak skull is also why the beard is so strong; as dwarves cannot physically sit down, kneel or lean they're mostly upright their entire life. This caused a gradual change throughout the early generations as gravity brought the skull plating down from their heads into their beards.

The other group theorises that when the First Mountain King of the dwarves was shot out of Armok's vagina, he plummeted from the sky many z levels high. The fetus smashed into the ground, head first. This also explains the dwarves... peculiar mental state.

Don't forget to quote me on this entry :P
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2011, 05:45:33 am »

Lava:

1. Surface Magma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2011, 02:30:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just blew the SFW part off the roof  ::)
Also, I always thought dwarves had THICK skulls. No matter how many times their skulls are shattered, they are still more or less intact. Their brains on the other hand....

Look, I don't know where you got that impression I would do that, and if anything, I'm insulted you would threaten this thread, it's done no-one any harm :(
And er... You're posting what you think is the definition of an Elf. On a thread where;
Quote from: Loud Whispers
>Suggestions, corrections and Explanations appreciated:3<

I will add nature, in it's own Dorfy way, however, if you would be able to take the time to make a literal dictionary, I would be delighted to cameo a link through - possibly even mirror both dictionaries:D
Oh and yeah, there's no real official canon about Elves in DF. All that there is definitely known is that Elves don't like other people turning "beautiful trees" into baubles, and of course, 60% of everything in the dictionary is rated D or some weird Satire :P
And humans aren't that evil... Urist Mchuman :D
Humans and Goblins chop down trees for their industrial needs, not having the might and ingenuity of a dwarf with a rock boulder in his hands. Also, don't take a meme seriously. No, NEVER take a meme seriously. And making a dictionary is a distinctly human thing, not an elf thing. If anything, an elf's dictionary would be rather bland:

T
Spoiler: Tree (click to show/hide)

Lava:

1. Surface Magma.

Added :P

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2011, 04:58:49 pm »

And humans aren't that evil... Urist McHuman
I'm evil sometimes, despite my name... :)supposed to look like an evil smile

And regarding the threat, EVERYBODY tells me to go and take my "childish" Elf thoughts, behaviors and ideas to some other site. They assume that I'm some activist trying to make people thinks negatively of this game.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2011, 05:14:30 pm »

And regarding the threat, EVERYBODY tells me to go and take my "childish" Elf thoughts, behaviors and ideas to some other site. They assume that I'm some activist trying to make people thinks negatively of this game.
:( I didn't tell you to go to some other site... Nor do I think you're trying to make people think negatively of the game. You're just trying enjoy the game in your own way, and this particular thread doesn't do it for you. There's no crime or harm in that. (Though I do think it's likely someone would've ended up calling you an elf, not as an insult but as a joke.)

edit: To get the thread back on track, my request: A definition involving sunlight - the unspeakable, unnecessary, sickening evil that it is.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:16:31 pm by Talvieno »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2011, 05:29:07 pm »

my request: A definition involving sunlight - the unspeakable, unnecessary, sickening evil that it is.  ;D
I'm on it!

S
Is this definition OK?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2011, 07:47:29 pm »

Yeah, that'll work. =P

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2011, 11:57:58 pm »

Just blew the SFW part off the roof  ::)
Also, I always thought dwarves had THICK skulls. No matter how many times their skulls are shattered, they are still more or less intact. Their brains on the other hand....

Haha, I thought I was pushing it a bit. Just say he got dropped on his head because...
Dwarven Matron cancels pick up infant: Seeking leather sock

But skulls being thick? Ever looked at combat logs? They're crushed by fists easier then fingernails in doors.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2011, 01:23:45 am »

But skulls being thick? Ever looked at combat logs? They're crushed by fists easier then fingernails in doors.
Have you ever seen a dwarven fist?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2011, 02:47:27 am »

Dragon - fire breathing see badger.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2011, 06:42:06 am »

X
1. Dreaded designation for worn out or worn down things, which are sometimes highly praised and appreciated by dwarves. (cf. illus. at XxxSocksxxX

2. Abbr. for 'eXit''. Anticipated behaviour of Armok immediately before or during a fortress is being overrun by enemies, flooded by water and/or magma, harrassed and raped by badgers and badger-like creatures, suffers from overcomplicated, inefficient and useless complexity which makes the inhabitants go insane, tantruming or cause mass-dying by accident or any other ill fate that spells a dreadful doom on it.
It is said that Armok, eager to have his subjects finally succeed in finding the great blue spire of adamantine, would then implant the idea of starting off a new and fresh settlement into seven dwarves who then set out to found a new fortress, often failing in doing so epically.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2011, 01:40:44 pm »

And this is why I wanted to keep memes out of the dictionary >_<

The sun doesn't form light, it releases energy in the form of thermal radiation and light energy from nuclear fission... :D
>Iz being literal ;P
Also, if someone calls you an Elf, you can demand them to give you their trees, or else you'll destroy their FPS XD
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:43:57 pm by Loud Whispers »

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »

Whip
N.
1. A long thin or flexible tool for striking. 2. In response to the Dwarven Atom Smasher, the Human Large Hadron Collider, and the Kobold XxSilk LoinclothxX replicator, the Goblins devised an equally ingenious, but much more EVIL tool of mass destruction to fit their needs. Capable of splitting atoms with all the weight focused into its end, it causes a sub nuclear reaction, crushing bones and severing limbs with the ease of dwarf devouring a plump helmet.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12