Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the second part of the dictionary remain in this thread, or get it's own? Also, HA NO MORE ELVES TO VOTE FOR.

Yeshz (new thread)
No (spread amongst posts)
Rethread (New thread, with reserved posts).

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Etymology - Axeford Dorfish Dictionary  (Read 49530 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Etymology - Axeford Dorfish Dictionary
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2011, 08:19:35 pm »

why is magma not defined as the awnser to everything?

Spoiler: Because (click to show/hide)
Don't we kind of need Necro for this?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2011, 08:39:40 pm »

New word!

Lye Maker:

1. One who manufactures lye.

2. In the mountainhomes, various nobles mandate the construction of massive castles made exclusively from soap bars. Naturally this endeavor requires a multitude of workers in sweat shop asheries constantly making lye for their masters. Some dwarfs spend their entire lives making lye, doing no other work. Some earn their freedom and migrate to other fortresses with no other useful skills and become mighty warriors (or meat shields).
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2011, 08:52:56 pm »

New word!

Lye Maker:

1. One who manufactures lye.

2. In the mountainhomes, various nobles mandate the construction of massive castles made exclusively from soap bars. Naturally this endeavor requires a multitude of workers in sweat shop asheries constantly making lye for their masters. Some dwarfs spend their entire lives making lye, doing no other work. Some earn their freedom and migrate to other fortresses with no other useful skills and become mighty warriors (or meat shields).

POST AND YE SHALL RECEIVE LYE!

Come to think of it, a soap fortress wouldn't be such a bad idea, got a fortress wide pandemic? Just add water.....

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:40 pm »

broker - only is on break when there is a caravan
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2011, 04:43:25 am »

If this ever becomes finished it should be turned into a real book you can buy with an awesome hardcover. It could also include boatmurdered and other famous dwarfy stories.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2011, 05:28:10 am »

Can't believe these two still haven't been mentioned

Aquifer - A damp earthen block which, because of the varying density of the containing layers, the movements of the earth, and the fluttering of butterfly wings, contains an infinite supply of constantly moving water. Has been the bane of many a miner and fortresses in search of stone. See water

Note to Dictionary author: type control-f and search for butterfly and you will find it

Water - A seemingly mundane liquid useful for a variety of purposes from dwarven healthcare to powering perpetual motion devices to highly elaborate drowning and freezing deathtraps.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2011, 06:34:04 am »

Broker: 2. A master at procrastination as well as appraising worthless trinkets

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2011, 08:28:47 am »

N.
Backpack
1. A backpack (also called rucksack, knapsack, packsack, pack) is, in its simplest form, a cloth sack carried on one's back and secured with two straps that go over the shoulders. 2. A dwarven device containing a collapsed universe and powered by !!QUANTUM PHYSICS!!, being able to contain a seemingly infinite amount of matter. A similar technology has been used in Cage Traps, trapping victims in a pocket world of its own. Due to its incredible mass, it is said that it can destroy and create dimensions by swinging them into an elf's crotch.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:31:32 am by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2011, 01:30:24 pm »

Aquifer - A damp earthen block which, because of the varying density of the containing layers, the movements of the earth, and the fluttering of butterfly wings, contains an infinite supply of constantly moving water. Has been the bane of many a miner and fortresses in search of stone. See water

Note to Dictionary author: type control-f and search for butterfly and you will find it

I actually did plan on putting aquifer's in the dictionary (proof is in sand;)

Water - A seemingly mundane liquid useful for a variety of purposes from dwarven healthcare to powering perpetual motion devices to highly elaborate drowning and freezing deathtraps.
If this ever becomes finished it should be turned into a real book you can buy with an awesome hardcover. It could also include boatmurdered and other famous dwarfy stories.

It would have to be made of rope reed print, supported by kitten spines, and bound in Goblin skin.

For only 5.99 Urists, order today and get a free plump helmet roast!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:43:37 pm by Loud Whispers »

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2011, 09:41:00 pm »

Hunter:
N.
A suicidal depressivebrave soul that traverses from the wildest forests to the deepest caverns, in search of a relatively quick death magnificent beasts to slay and become an hero. Bizarrely, the greatest cause of death for hunters seems to be dehydration, starvation, or drowning rather than savage mauling.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2011, 11:15:33 pm »

I actually did plan on putting aquifer's in the dictionary (proof is in sand;)

It would have to be made of rope reed print, supported by kitten spines, and bound in Goblin skin.

For only 5.99 Urists, order today and get a free plump helmet roast!

Ahh but what would the cover show?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2011, 02:58:53 pm »

Painstakingly went over EVERY word in the dictionary, should be absolutely NO syntax or grammar errors, and of course added Hunter, as well as finishing orderly and strange mood

Quote from: Naraceaus
Ahh but what would the cover show?

Dwarves striking triumphant poses over walls of text curled up in foetile positions.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2011, 08:48:58 pm »

Cheese - Dwarven delicacy made from milk. Various depictions of dwarves eating cheese are often engraved in bedrooms.

Jail - Room with a chain used with the intent as an alternative to the conventional system of Justice.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2011, 09:00:23 pm »

Military
N.
1. The armed forces of a country/state/city, and used to defend or attack others. In dwarven halls, this is considered one of the most noble professions.
Here is a immigration form, mandatory for all unsure arrivals useless migrants to the fortress:
1. What skills do you bring to the mountain home? Explain...
2. What do you plan to achieve here? Explain...
3. Do you feel you will be happy here? Y/N
4. Are you willing to live your life here in a small 1*1 room with just a bed and having to subside on a diet of plump helmets and plump helmet wine? Y/N
5. Are you willing to spend your entire life creating rock mugs and plump helmet biscuits until you die alone and unremembered in some dark mineshaft? Y/N
6. Are you willing to forage for mushrooms and webs in a dark cavern filled with twisted abominations of the deep and horrors unremembered by the aeons past? Y/N
7. Are you willing to work next an open chasm leading into the fiery depths of the earth, and having to constantly be running up and down a flight of steps with chunks of heavy rock? Y/N

If you answered no to questions 3 to 7, then congratulations! You are now a member of the armed forces of the mountainhome! Don your metal armor and report to the training area, where you will be locked in for a week and beaten by wooden spears until unconscious!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:07 pm »

Ha ha, it's tempting to nab the whole thing! I salute you with my monocle, Yeeaasss;]

I'll come up with a suitable adaptation... TOMORROW I SAY! And thank you for the contribution ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12