Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Stronghold 3  (Read 10682 times)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stronghold 3
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 03:00:59 pm »

It's still a solid game for those who haven't played the previous ones.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 03:02:37 pm »

It's still a solid game for those who haven't played the previous ones.

Excellent. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 03:17:33 pm »

For those who haven't played the original ones?

I haven't played Stronghold 3, going to stay away after only hearing bad things, but that would be like saying that MoO III is a good game if you haven't played MoO I or II. :P

Stronghold: Crusader was fairly good for what it was, a game of siege warfare, although your farms tended to be outside your walls. But as a consequence of being a game of siege warfare, multiplayer games lasted hours and could get pretty boring.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 03:41:06 pm »

Having played a bit more of the game I must say.

It's near rubbish compared to stronghold 1.
The maps are really really small while your building are really really big.
You can't really make castles like in 1 anymore.
Besides the campaign there's no more skirmish. 1 had way more to do besides the campaign.
And then there's the ranges units buggyness that will probably be fixed with a patch.

This game isn't the money you could use to buy stronghold 1 instead :P

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 04:24:44 pm »

• Walls, they do nothing! In SH2, pikemen could tear down walls. In SH3, pikemen can ignore walls. They can just reach up with their spears and stab archers on your fortifications.

Isn't that actually pretty realistic?  If walls are short enough for me to stab people on them, then they're not very good walls.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 04:24:57 pm »

Everyone hates Stronghold 2 with a passion here?  ??? I loved the game to death and still play it with friends online! Hearing that Stronghold 3 sucked means I'll just wait until a sale for the price to lower it.

Also I'm 90% sure pikemen on SH2 can't stab walls to death.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 04:38:06 pm »

Everyone hates Stronghold 2 with a passion here?  ???

I didn't hate it, but it did lack a bit of the charm that the first game had.

Anyways, since it appears that I am contributing to this thread, I have a question:
How does Stronghold 3 Compare to Stronghold Legends?

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »

Isn't that actually pretty realistic?  If walls are short enough for me to stab people on them, then they're not very good walls.
It didn't do that in the other games in the series, IIRC. Since this one lacks the ability to pick the height of your walls, you're always stuck with short enough walls to be stabbed off of.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »

Sounds like they remade SH2. oh god the horror...

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 06:59:22 pm »

but SH2 was good! And i'm fine with any strategy game that plays faster than SupCom 2 building 50+ experimentals to duke it out against computers, no atillery allowed.

EIDT: OH of course! start steam and download it from there instead of using the disk I put in my computer! Hard copies are sooo annoying sometimes...
DOUBLE EDIT: Hey! free stronghold 1! I guess I have the whole set now (only had SH2 before...)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:05:02 pm by Squanto »
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 08:51:10 pm »

I hated SH2 for a very good reason. Units could basically pile on top of each other (ie, stacked up on one another in the exact same spot). It basically made the whole point of making a castle a bit stupid. The reason you build walls and restrict access to certain points is so that, in a battle, the attacker is at a disadvantage because they are only able to bring a small chunk of their force to bear on those chokepoints. The way SH2 did it completely negated that, as all of their units could magically phase into one another and their entire army could attack that one point.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 09:26:16 pm »

Quote from the Firefly forums about lack of skirmish mode.

Stronghold 3 was designed as a throwback to the original Stronghold. It’s a new generation Stronghold game and as you know the first title is all about story, in this case The Wolf’s military exploits and Lady Catherine’s economic tale. Really it’s a different beast to sister titles like Crusader and Legends, which are more skirmish-based. There are currently no plans to add a skirmish mode to Stronghold 3 and we’re not ready to talk about the future of the franchise just yet, but hopefully the map editor and historical sieges will keep you busy in the meantime

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 08:07:00 am »

I hated SH2 for a very good reason. Units could basically pile on top of each other (ie, stacked up on one another in the exact same spot). It basically made the whole point of making a castle a bit stupid. The reason you build walls and restrict access to certain points is so that, in a battle, the attacker is at a disadvantage because they are only able to bring a small chunk of their force to bear on those chokepoints. The way SH2 did it completely negated that, as all of their units could magically phase into one another and their entire army could attack that one point.

What the hell are you talking about? Units could pile ontop of each other in Stronghold 1 too (or at least Crusader). Play a skirmish game in Crusader that forces everyone to go through the same chokepoint. I remember one that I used to play every time. Four-cross or something like that. The choke point was in the center, with no other way to get to enemy castles. But I digress. Then build up an awesome army and wait. Eventually, two of the computer players will send siege forces out. The forces will meet in the chokepoint and compress into two people, fighting the other with their many arms and weapons. Maybe the behavior was less noticable in Stronghold 1, but it was still there.

Quote from the Firefly forums about lack of skirmish mode.

Stronghold 3 was designed as a throwback to the original Stronghold. It’s a new generation Stronghold game and as you know the first title is all about story, in this case The Wolf’s military exploits and Lady Catherine’s economic tale. Really it’s a different beast to sister titles like Crusader and Legends, which are more skirmish-based. There are currently no plans to add a skirmish mode to Stronghold 3 and we’re not ready to talk about the future of the franchise just yet, but hopefully the map editor and historical sieges will keep you busy in the meantime

And now I certainly won't buy Stronghold 3. I spent pretty much all my time in skirmish mode in Crusader and Stronghold 2. I barely even looked at the campaigns, since they always limited the number of buildings and units you could build. Multiplayer never really interested me either. So, unless they add skirmish mode later in a patch, I'm not buying it.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 09:08:14 am »

pikemen could never and will never stab walls to death in SH2. palisades on the other hand....

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 09:22:31 am »

I played a little of the economic campaign last night.  I died a lot to starvation.  Also my bakeries (or maybe its my mill that is the problem) don't seem to like to do anything. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4