Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Asian Parents Dislike White Girlfriend  (Read 13114 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Asian Parents Dislike White Girlfriend
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:26 am »

I'm gonna give a piece of advice from my brother:
'it's you life. you do what you want with it. if your parents want you to dump them or leave them to make them happy, they'll have to deal with you keeping your girlfriend/boyfriend.' (I can't rememebr which of his friends  he was speaking to :/)

What is so sad is that in situations like these the prefered course of action for mental and financial health would be to give in to his parents.

The world sucks.

Heck I'll just say it. In all likelyness you will be happier if you dump your girlfriend. Since the law of statistics hates you. (Actually the reasons are obvious as "girlfriends" tend to be transitive while "Parents" are pernament usually)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:51:06 am by Neonivek »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 11:30:24 am »

Heck I'll just say it. In all likelyness you will be happier if you dump your girlfriend. Since the law of statistics hates you. (Actually the reasons are obvious as "girlfriends" tend to be transitive while "Parents" are pernament usually)

That sounds to me like naive statistics.  Just because most relationships fail doesn't mean most people are the type to ruin long term relationships.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 11:41:07 am »

I'm gonna give a piece of advice from my brother:
'it's you life. you do what you want with it. if your parents want you to dump them or leave them to make them happy, they'll have to deal with you keeping your girlfriend/boyfriend.' (I can't remember which of his friends  he was speaking to :/)
It's your life and you carry full responsibility for your actions. If your parents are going to give you hell over your girlfriend then you either have to bite through the barrage or decide that your girlfriend isn't worth a schism. You cannot decide for them what they should accept and what not.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 01:41:32 pm »

In all likelyness you will be happier if you dump your girlfriend.

I'm... not sure why this would be germane or decisive?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 06:05:12 pm »

You might not be the only person with parents like those.
My parents are a bit more lenient than yours perhaps, although if I ever dated another girl with a distinctively different race who isn't already super successful or famous, I'm pretty sure they'd be having the same thoughts as well.

There are few people who can match the conservatism of a first gen Asian parent.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »

I am not sure Vector why they are automatically racist with this little information provided.

for all you know the girl could be using overly familiar tones. Opening the Fridge without asking. Reaching across the table while eating.

All good ways to make your family hate the person.

Since the conversation went that way, I presented one of those aspects of growing up that sucks but is unfortunately true. (I won't deny that I am likely motivated by being pety)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:43:02 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »

No, I didn't say "the parents are racist."  I said "why is 'what will make him happiest' automatically what we are considering the deciding factor here?"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 09:38:59 pm »

No, I didn't say "the parents are racist."  I said "why is 'what will make him happiest' automatically what we are considering the deciding factor here?"

I know you didn't I was explaining why I said it. (also I really disliked the immediate jump to "They were racist" some people went to... Given the context it almost says something annoying)

I am not making it the deciding factor. I am only stating that it is there as another possible answer.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 10:35:49 pm »

Propose a fear factor challenge.  Your parents get to cook the grossest Asian food they can conceive of, and your girlfriend will prepare the grossest white people food possible (haggis, escargot, and some truly grungy provolone cheese).  Then there's an eat-off.  If your girlfriend backs down, she gets dumped.  If your parents back down, they have to accept her.  If they both win, then they have a bonding story to tell over a much tastier holiday dinner later on.

I'm only half joking. I knew a white guy with a Japanese girlfriend, and the parents despised him.... until he sat down at the dinner table, looked the father in the eye, and ate a whole bowl of natto.  Nothing says undying love and cultural respect quite like moldy slimy beans.

(edited to remove assumption that op is in USA or canada)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:40:00 pm by GTM »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure they're being racist; a lot of my relatives are like that, to the point it doesn't even sound all that odd anymore.

But, I'm just a forum-goer, so I don't have the big picture of things.

Eventually, you'll have to make a compromise, for your GF or your family.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 05:49:52 am »

until he sat down at the dinner table, looked the father in the eye, and ate a whole bowl of natto.  Nothing says undying love and cultural respect quite like moldy slimy beans.

That is impressive. Not even all Japanese people like Natto (In fact if my sources are correct its popularity is tanking).

Also the worst "White food" isn't in the area of gross... it is in the area of bland or just poor. Such as substandard Meatloaf or Bread pudding.

Mostly because a large bulk of "White food" was finding ways to stretch your food stock as far as it could go by reusing it. While many of them taste good now in their "fresh" form (for example very few people use stale bread for French Toast and no one uses soggy bread for Paninis) they tend to be somewhat bland in their "food that no one would eat" form.

THOUGH I guess if you wanted to make a gross white people plate... I'd go with organ meat.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:58:04 am by Neonivek »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 06:56:08 am »

Parents will always disapprove of something, there's just no pleasing them. Just ignore it and do what makes you happy.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 11:17:30 pm »

Also the worst "White food" isn't in the area of gross... it is in the area of bland or just poor. Such as substandard Meatloaf or Bread pudding.

You have obviously never eaten jellied eels, sheep head soup (If properly made, the fat forms a skin an inch thick!) nor even the dread "It was out of the fridge yesterday but it's fine, honest" pickled herring. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 11:33:43 pm »

You have obviously never eaten jellied eels, sheep head soup (If properly made, the fat forms a skin an inch thick!) nor even the dread "It was out of the fridge yesterday but it's fine, honest" pickled herring.

Actually I really like Pickled Herring. I don't find it Gross at all. In fact I dislike fish in general but like Pickled Herring!

And Sheep Head Soup doesn't stand up to Lard Burgers.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 11:41:23 pm »

I'll tell you what's horrible: pickled eggs and pigs feet.

I mean, what the hell? Who came up with that? Why would anyone think to pickle eggs! Why!? They're horrible! I tried to eat one once, and it set off my gag reflex before it even touched my tongue! That's a goddamn record.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3