Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Encased units  (Read 4222 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Encased units
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:41:08 am »

I was reading the dwarf checkerboard thread, and long story short the author created a large number of HFS encased in obsidian.

Anyways, It inspirired me to suggest that it could be awesome if blocks of encased units be treated as special.  You can put them on display, or carve a memorial into them.

Other cool stuff could be done in the workshops, crafts, tools, statues etc made from encased blocks could have special properties, especially if the encased are increadibly powerful.  Maybe a statue from encased HFS could "wake" up in the future and walk arround as some freaky HFS Ghost/Golem made out of obsidian, or ice. Cursed stone swords could also be made
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Encased units
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:27:51 pm »

Sounds awesome. Could also dig out the the wall, and get back some of the items and the body. Could make for an interesting worldgen thing, dig through collapsed mines or something and find the remains and gear of whoever was in there when the place collapsed.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »

If it lets me remake the old practice of encasing a noble in obsidian, carving the block into a statue and using it to decorate my entry hall without breaking the fantasy by having said statue depict a fly or something, I am in favour.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 04:03:06 am »

Fossilised nobles, mmmmmmm.... :P
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 05:39:56 am »

encasing insects in amber(among other things) also in glass somehow
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:52:53 am »

Cryogenically frozen animals.

Things with set body tempretures below water's freezing point (or some other suitable attribute), upon being frozen (and providing they don't starve to death), can be thawed out.

Prehistoric badgers ftw.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 01:04:24 pm »

Things with set body tempretures below water's freezing point (or some other suitable attribute), upon being frozen (and providing they don't starve to death), can be thawed out.

Prehistoric badgers ftw.

Yer forgetting the oxygen issue there, buddy.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 01:29:13 pm »

Prehistoric badgers ftw.

Yer forgetting the suspended animation thing buddy. And err, super slow metabolism, anaerobic respiration, and bagers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 03:07:53 pm »

Prehistoric badgers ftw.

Yer forgetting the suspended animation thing buddy. And err, super slow metabolism, anaerobic respiration, and bagers.

Actually, yer all forgetting the "It sounds awesome" item there, buddies.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 04:28:43 pm »

encasing insects in amber(among other things) also in glass somehow
dump the nobles bed into the glass furnace while they're sleeping.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 04:40:23 pm »

Prehistoric badgers ftw.

Yer forgetting cages, buddies.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 05:05:03 pm »

What about creatures spawning inside recently thawed ice o-o

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 07:36:53 pm »

Prehistoric badgers ftw.

Yer forgetting cages, buddies.

Why are we nitpicking science when dorfs create/destroy matter, can stick a hundred elephants in 3 x 3 feet tiles and transfer energy without loss any distance with two simple mechanisms?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Zoomulator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 04:04:24 am »

Why are we nitpicking science when dorfs create/destroy matter, can stick a hundred elephants in 3 x 3 feet tiles and transfer energy without loss any distance with two simple mechanisms?

Don't forget their ability to build perpetual motion machines by the use of water pumps!

Back to topic though. I do like the idea of a beast being encased for an indefinite amount of time to later be stumbled upon or intentionally released by some mentally skewed power crazed person. In the case of the beast not being burned to death by the magma in the encasement process of course.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:10:06 am by Zoomulator »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 04:20:31 am »

Carbonite.  That is all. 

Imagine encasing a dwarf in something, maybe even in obsidian, on purpose, and leave him alive.  He HAS to survive.  Abandon fortress, reclaim, let Han Solo out.  He should get like a sad thought, something like:

Urist McSolo has been encased in obsidian for far too long.

Imagine "storing" the denizens of an entire fortress, abandoning, reclaim, etc. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: [1] 2