Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Things you wish were still in the Game  (Read 4338 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Things you wish were still in the Game
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 04:35:30 pm »

Biomes with chasms, underground rivers, magma rivers should not have caverns or  circus (only in the case of the chasm that goes aaaall way down to the bottom of the map.)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 06:23:19 pm »

I miss magma pipes. The ability to have underground plants without caverns. Chasms, and less frequent migrants.

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 06:30:11 pm »

I didn't play when the game when it was around, but id like to see cave-ins for if you dont leave supports in big rooms.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 06:34:51 pm »

^
No! I hated that...

Migrant frequency / size per migrant group is too high.

Also:
I LOST THE GAME
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 11:46:49 pm »

God, I loved chasms. One of the first games I ever played, 40d, I embarked on a chasm and a batman tore apart my kitten. I was so shocked that I was left depressed for the rest of the day, and decided I'd never play again. You can see how long that lasted, hehe.

I would like to see chasms back. Just have them lead into the cavern layers. I know we have pits and the like inside of caverns, but I'd love to see the underground protruding more above ground. Pits, chasms, etc. Something more than the regular boring old caves. Still, I guess the caves are fine for trash and goblin disposal (was that redundant?)

I also miss deadly magma. When it would incinerate utterly any dwarf that was in a certain height of magma, and just 1/7 was permanantly crippling and would generally kill. Now they just about have to go diving in the stuff to die, and have no problem with walking around on bloody melted stumps. I also hate that burning fails and things bleed to death. Thank Armok that'll be fixed in the next version.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 02:04:16 am »

less frequent migrants.
Now this is something! Back in the days they were more than just red army recruits. They were something you sorely needed to fill ranks of both civilian and military side. At least on early years of a fortress.

Also food used to be more difficult to procure. At least on early years of a fortress.

Evile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 03:08:04 am »

I miss caravan wagons... And elves demanding cease of deforestation. And noise.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 08:43:25 am »

I was never around for it, but I wish I could have witnessed towns for every race.

Yeah, this.  Dwarf mountain homes were never that great and elf forest retreats were just a bunch of elves standing around, but it was a shit ton better than the sites not existing at all.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 11:01:14 am »

Chasms definately. I'd give up the omnipresent caverns in a heartbeat for the chasms again, and often do when I jump back onto a 40d binge. Some of my most memorable forts were built in and around chasms.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 08:59:27 pm »

Guildmasters. Nothing makes a fort feel more civilised than having to cater to the whims of a bunch of useless bureaucrats.

The economy was also fun, since I would often unwittingly put my dwarves into 3x3 limestone apartments, only to see a mass eviction as soon as the taxcollector showed up.

Cave-river based agriculture, and the farms drying out every winter.

+1 to Goblin Golf with legendary mace- and hammer-dwarves.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »

hammerer is easy to put back in, I have him in my games.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 11:00:59 pm »

Yeah, but it's not THE hammerer, the one that lives only to dispense justice and who will bite off limbs and carry them around if deprived of the almighty hammer. I don't ever remember getting a hammerer, but I rather like my dwarves going to prison and maybe getting thwacked with a crossbow in a civilised manner instead of being beaten bloody. I also rather like the 'exempt from work' tag being broken...

I'd like to see chasms back, or replaced by some other suitably architectural feature that be searched for via the site finder. 2D-style random encounters popping up from the depths would be cool too. 
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 09:05:25 am »

Automated elephant processing forts... I can't find the thread now but some forgotten genius dwarf designed his whole fort to exploit animal pathfinding and automatically shunt elephants (and everything else) through a series of traps that ended up right outside a large butcher shop room. Animals went in, died, were carted off and butchered into food constantly without any extra input from the player.

This was also 2d version where elephants were pure murder machines, my theory is the unnamed dwarf hero who created the first elephant processing fort, and all the people who copied him so thoroughly emasculated the whole elephant race with shame they were left nothing but the empty, powerless shells we have now.

Even if you rigged up something similar now (which would be a lot harder), animals are finite and run out very rapidly so it would hardly be worth the effort.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 09:26:18 am »

I didn't play when the game when it was around, but id like to see cave-ins for if you dont leave supports in big rooms.

Same thing. Cave-in system is now boring and unuseful.

Also I would like everything absent features from older versions - Adventure Mode non-human sites, annoying and stupid nobles, all things which can make more chaos... Now game seems to be justo too easy without mods.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 10:31:05 pm »

I miss being able to make Kitten Biscuits, and Kitten bone bolts.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3