Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions Regarding a Potential Mod  (Read 2830 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
Questions Regarding a Potential Mod
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:04:14 pm »

I'll be honest with you, I haven't played Dwarf Fortress for the past couple months because it had gotten really tedious just trying to find the right embark site so I can prepare my dwarves for war. I think the Dwarf Fortress military system is confusing, and I don't like there being mandatory goblin raiding parties. What would get me back into Dwarf Fortress would be a mod that would have it focus less on defense and warfare, and more on economics and engineering.

What I want to remove from Dwarf Fortress at this time would be the seemingly mandatory goblin raiding parties that I always have to worry about one way or another. In all of my time playing Dwarf Fortress it was always the goblins that attacked me. I never pissed off the humans or the elves, and always maintained cordial relationships with them, yet the goblins always tore my fortresses apart and made me want to never pick up that game again due to the fact that I never have enough time to arm my dwarves even with your guys' advice. I want to know how to not remove the goblins entirely, but make it so that they don't siege my dwarves just because I have eighty or more of those hairy drunken midgets, or ever.

On top of that I want there to be more items for my dwarves to craft, trade, consume, and produce. Mostly, I would like to create more types of clothing, more types of food, and more types of crafts. I know how to do this in 40d but I have not been able to get it to work in 31.25. I have read the wiki numerous times but I do not understand it whatsoever, most likely because the tutorial is in my opinion a little overcomplicated. Could someone please simplify the tutorial for me as well as inform me on the best way to mod the goblins into not automatically raiding my fortress just because it's got a large population?

I thank you for your time and your responses.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Regarding a Potential Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »

I was going to recommend disabling invaders in d_init, but since it's only the goblins you want to get rid of, you can simply remove their entries from creature_standard and entity_default. If that's too drastic for you (perhaps you might change your mind about invaders, and a mod like that couldn't be reversed without generating a new world), you can increase their progress triggers so they invade much later; eg., if you increase PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION to 3, the population requirement for an attack is going to be 80, if 4 it's 110, etc. You can find more details about this on the wiki.

If you want to leave them in the game and perhaps trade with them, then I believe removing their [BABYSNATCHER] tag is going to make them more or less peaceful and [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL] should allow them to send caravans. Note that I have not used the latter part of this suggestion, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone corrects me. In the meantime, you can try generating a world with those changes and checking for neighbors by pressing tab. If the red dashes are gone, then they should be peaceful.

I can't really recommend any mods that expand the economy since most of what I use are little tweaks I've learned about on the forums, not ready-made mods you can download.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:54:23 pm by assimilateur »

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 12:50:46 am »

I was going to recommend disabling invaders in d_init, but since it's only the goblins you want to get rid of, you can simply remove their entries from creature_standard and entity_default. If that's too drastic for you (perhaps you might change your mind about invaders, and a mod like that couldn't be reversed without generating a new world), you can increase their progress triggers so they invade much later; eg., if you increase PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION to 3, the population requirement for an attack is going to be 80, if 4 it's 110, etc. You can find more details about this on the wiki.

If you want to leave them in the game and perhaps trade with them, then I believe removing their [BABYSNATCHER] tag is going to make them more or less peaceful and [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL] should allow them to send caravans. Note that I have not used the latter part of this suggestion, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone corrects me. In the meantime, you can try generating a world with those changes and checking for neighbors by pressing tab. If the red dashes are gone, then they should be peaceful.

I can't really recommend any mods that expand the economy since most of what I use are little tweaks I've learned about on the forums, not ready-made mods you can download.

Thank you for the information. I was actually considering leaving the goblins in so I could trade with them, but that would require me rewriting them to what I would have in mind for a mod that only mildly rips off World of Warcraft and Magic the Gathering in the cases of Goblins. As for the economics stuff, I wasn't asking for a mod involving that. Instead I was asking on how to actually mod in the items that I wanted to make so that my dwarves could craft them and trade for them, and in simple terms since I don't understand most of the stuff on the wiki.

-EDIT- It turns out you were right Assimilator. Removing [BABYSNATCHER] made the goblins peaceful. They no longer show up as enemies, so I guess part of my little project is done thanks to you. Now to figure out just how to make heads or tails of the modding tutorial, which I hope someone will explain to me in simpler terms.

-EDIT- Disregard that I suck plump helmets. I just figured out the item modding. I just hope that I can get it right this time. If I have any more modding questions regarding other things I might want to add, I'll ask.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:09:29 am by dei »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 01:12:30 am »

As for the economics stuff, I wasn't asking for a mod involving that. Instead I was asking on how to actually mod in the items that I wanted to make so that my dwarves could craft them and trade for them, and in simple terms since I don't understand most of the stuff on the wiki.

I guess I misunderstood you because I skimmed over that part of your post. There's not much I can help you with here. I think the best advice I can give you is to look at files containing items similar to the ones you want to make. This is how you learn, not to mention can rip off some of the data.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:30:35 pm »

As for the economics stuff, I wasn't asking for a mod involving that. Instead I was asking on how to actually mod in the items that I wanted to make so that my dwarves could craft them and trade for them, and in simple terms since I don't understand most of the stuff on the wiki.

I guess I misunderstood you because I skimmed over that part of your post. There's not much I can help you with here. I think the best advice I can give you is to look at files containing items similar to the ones you want to make. This is how you learn, not to mention can rip off some of the data.

Well as I said in that second edit, I think I figured it out. All I have to do now is make the items and then see if my dwarves can produce them. Last night before bed I spent a few moments making what was twenty-five different foods to mod in, but I haven't gotten a chance to check those yet. Then again what I really want to do with food is make a custom workshop that would allow one to make specific dishes. Like for example you could take some rock nut oil and an egg then somehow make fried eggs for your dwarves to eat or sell.

What I mean for that is that I wanted to make some sort of a cooking mod later on to coincide with this little mod I'm working on that would add a Harvest Moon-style cooking system to Dwarf Fortress via a custom workshop. I also might have other ideas in the works for things to add in to revise the other industries, but I think before I do any of that I'm first going to work out this little basic mod and then learn how to make custom workshops.

To sum it up, the mod I want to make starts out with just some basic practice, to see if I can make these hundreds of objects I wanted to add to the game for my dwarves to craft, and then refine that into something that would change the whole crafting industry to require specific recipes for each item. I'll ask about the stuff with custom workshops another time though, as I should get the practice mod done first. I have quite a few items I want to implement after all.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 04:40:09 pm »

Sounds like you are on your way to becoming a true modder. My only advice is to make sure you add your reactions and custom buildings into the entities as [PERMITTED_BUILDING:XXX] and [PERMITTED_REACTION:XXX]. (This is probably one of the most common mistakes for people just starting with modding)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:50:00 pm »

Sounds like you are on your way to becoming a true modder. My only advice is to make sure you add your reactions and custom buildings into the entities as [PERMITTED_BUILDING:XXX] and [PERMITTED_REACTION:XXX]. (This is probably one of the most common mistakes for people just starting with modding)

I'll keep that in mind, but I still don't know how to make custom workshops nor reactions. I'm not ready to learn that yet however, and won't be until I can make those objects I have planned and make sure they all work. I'm nowhere near being a true modder. If anything I've barely modded anything before, and that's because I always tried to do things a little too fast or grand. I've got all these ideas that I want to work on, ranging from crafting via custom workshops, to my ideas for both monster girl and furry projects that would allow for my dwarves to employ creatures like harpies, slimewomen, centaurs, fairies and catgirls as both lines of defense and commodities to trade.

I'm nowhere near being able to make those projects I want to work on, so I'm starting simple by making items for my dwarves to craft that would allow them to have a greater variety of things to eat, wear, wield, and trade. Personally, all I know how to make with that so far would be food and clothing/armor. I am still not entirely certain how to add new crafts, melee and projectile weapons, ammunition, furniture and trap components, which I would also like to add. I will be working on that as well as the creation of more items for my dwarves to craft before I work on the other things I would like to mod in.

I hope I can rely on the Bay12 community for support as I work on this, and hopefully I don't lose sight of my goal to take my time and learn how to modify and create content for Dwarf Fortress.

-EDIT- Alright, I have a question. One of the things I wanted to implement was a proper chainmail bikini that could be worn as is or as extra protection, albeit minor. I want it to be something that would be worn directly against the skin so that nothing can go under it. Would I do this by adding [LAYER_PERMIT:0], or is there some other way I can do it?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:03:22 pm by dei »

Insanedragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:55:14 pm »

Is this thread really dead? I was actually looking forward to what could come out of this.
Is it still being worked on or is it dead?

This was my hope to renew my interest into dwarf fortress again. I have been lurking and haven't seen any progress.
So this is kinda like necroing a thread.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:05 pm »

Is this thread really dead? I was actually looking forward to what could come out of this.

This was my hope to renew my interest into dwarf fortress again. I have been lurking and haven't seen any progress.
Are you sure you are in the right place? This thread is 4 (!) years old.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 09:50:11 am »

Are you sure you are in the right place? This thread is 4 (!) years old.
Since then we've found out that the surest way to curtail goblin sieges is to upgrade to v0.40.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 03:48:22 pm »

Even if it's 4 years old, it's a cool idea.  Military does command a lot of attention, it would be nice to have more to do that's fun but not Fun. 

Here's an idea.  Replace the boring default animals with Pokemon, "real ones" or make up your own fire lizards and tentacle turtles with all the breath attacks and custom materials.  A better modder than me might know how to make them evolve into stronger forms.  Then the goal of the game becomes to embark in different places all over the world until you've caught 'em all. 

But me, I'm just waiting for the new version with libraries and bars, since that sounds like it would spice up civilian life a lot. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.