Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2011  (Read 8976 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2011
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 09:16:39 pm »

If you really have nothing, find something interesting on Seventh Sanctum or Chaotic Shiny. I would especially recommend Chaotic Shiny's motivation generator.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2011, 04:39:16 am »

Ditched the 4k I was at to start things in a new direction.   I'm a maverick!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 05:10:57 am »

I'm at 4603 words now. Really need to catch up and then get ahead a few thousand words since I know there'll be days soon where I won't be able to write at all.

Do you guys find word wars useful? I can procrastinate all day but just the feeling of letting a random person down who's writing with you is enough to get a few hundred words down. :)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 05:48:35 am »

Peeps should really join #bay12nano down in FreeNode. It's pretty barren there.

Being my first attempt at NaNoWriMo, and being awful at time management, I don't see how this will end in anything but failure for me, but I'll try at least.

I've got an idea, plot and pitch that all seems to be good, but I'm slightly out of my water - several parts of it require me having experienced things that I haven't yet and won't for a while (such as unemployment, alcoholism, etc). I'm not sure how to handle this, so would anyone have any advice?

Do you guys find word wars useful? I can procrastinate all day but just the feeling of letting a random person down who's writing with you is enough to get a few hundred words down. :)

Unfortunately, no. I often get lost in the intricacies of plot and perspective, and so end up writing nothing at all until the "perfect idea" (in most cases still only workable) strikes.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2011, 09:40:51 am »

^ Really, you should just try to get things down. Don't think about what you're writing, simply get it down the moment it comes to mind. NaNo is mostly just about getting a first draft done, not an actual novel.

Also, you might find some help on the NaNo forums if you need to research things, in the Reference Desk forum you can ask questions and likely get answers.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 02:40:22 pm »

I've got an idea, plot and pitch that all seems to be good, but I'm slightly out of my water - several parts of it require me having experienced things that I haven't yet and won't for a while (such as unemployment, alcoholism, etc). I'm not sure how to handle this, so would anyone have any advice?

Ask a friend (or acquaintance) who's experienced those problems if they're comfortable talking about it. People will talk about a lot of things when you say "it's for this book that I'm writing." Talk about the plot a little to get them interested, maybe promise to let them read it once you've edited it and they'll probably open up. Again, make sure they're okay with the question before you start pressing for information. That's some pretty heavy stuff.

I hit 5k last night! Which isn't particularly exciting, because that was the word goal, but I really thought I was going to start today a thousand words behind. Also, I'm getting very close to discovering the central question (and therefore plot) of the book, which is incredibly exciting. Heading to a write-in later tonight; everyone here should make sure to find & go to one in their region! The NaNo community is positively wonderful and writing with a bunch of other awesome people is one of the best experiences November has to offer.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 02:50:46 pm »

Alas, I have absolutely no ability to transport myself. On the bright side, I have 11157 12180 words! Huzzah!  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:51:11 pm by Un67 »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 04:20:19 pm »

I wrote -3230 words today, interesting. Scrapping my 4k story and starting a new one wasn't that great an idea. I struggled for hours on how to start it, ungh. I didn't worry as much on the first one, but this is an actual book idea I've had for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to write faster and still catch up from now on. Should have more spare time on the weekend.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2011, 06:29:33 pm »

I am in the room.  -> http://webchat.freenode.net/  #bay12nano

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 06:56:33 pm »

If you really have nothing, find something interesting on Seventh Sanctum or Chaotic Shiny. I would especially recommend Chaotic Shiny's motivation generator.
Chaotic Shiny is awesome, but mainly because they have a random tarot card creator and I fucking love tarot cards.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2011, 08:53:41 pm »

Warning: depending on how well you react to clocks, you may or may not enjoy this link.

http://altru.istic.net/nanowrimo/
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2011, 09:00:00 pm »

Warning: depending on how well you react to clocks, you may or may not enjoy this link.

http://altru.istic.net/nanowrimo/
OH GOD, WHY DID YOU LINK ME THIS. I FEEL REALLY DAMN BAD NOW.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2011, 09:04:24 pm »

For those of you who would like a bit friendlier encouragement, try this: http://smworth.blogspot.com/2011/09/nanowrimo-report-card-2011.html

It's a really nice report card tool, helps you get a better sense of your progress.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2011, 01:42:01 am »

Alright I started it and I'm a few days behind but I wrote 2225 words today. Let's just say this parody is going very well so far.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2011, 04:19:43 am »

Despite it being my day off, I only managed to net about +700 words after waffling on what direction to take.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8