Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Allergies, Diseases, and also Vegan Dwarves  (Read 6393 times)

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Allergies, Diseases, and also Vegan Dwarves
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:00:10 am »

It would be interesting if some dwarves had allergies...

For instance some might be allergic to shellfish, or they are lactose intolerant, or allergic to bee sting.

If an allergic dwarf has interaction with its allergen object then he will need immediate medical attention or face some problems up to possibly even death. It would give hospital workers something to do when you don't have much fighting going on, plus would add additional layer of challenge in deciding what dwarves go outside as you would want to keep those allergic to bees indoors, and it would enforce the necessity to have varieties of food for those allergic to certain food types.

Secondly, it would be interesting if some dwarves are only gonna eat only plant food products... They can be vegan dwarves and they will get negative thoughts seeing meat products when they go to get food and also get negative thoughts if they witness wild animals being killed or hunted and seeing a domesticated animal get butchered.

Finally, another idea I think would add some more challenge and variety to the healthcare industry are diseases and a medicine industry. If you lack a plethora of soap then your dwarves would be more susceptible to infections and disease. For instance, in the winter a dorf might catch the flu and it can spread in your fort if they aren't quarantined to the hospital early enough.

This could extend into other things such as lycanthropy. Already now exist werewolf mobs in the game. If a dorf is bit by a werewolf he will have a chance to catch the lycanthropy disease. Diseases like lycanthropy can be treated with proper medicine if done early enough, but after a certain amount of time the disease would become permanent on that dwarf, On whatever months is full moon the dorf would randomly turn to a werewolf for that time. If you like the dorf you can just lock him in a room, otherwise he will behave like a berserk dorf but much stronger.

A similar disease is zombie infection. When your dorfs fight the zombie type of creatures if they get bit then they will only live for a month or so and then succumb to death. They will become a corpse for a certain random time and then will awaken as a zombie.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:34:27 am by GeorgiaPeanuts »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Allergies and also Vegan Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:16:28 am »

Sounds like they would both be thrown into the great Drawven natural selection device known as "magma".

On a serious note don't Dwarfs in fanatasy generally have a higher state of reisistance to things like poisons, magic and disease? I'm not saying everything has to be generic fantasy but I suppose if you're trying to build a fantasy world simulator then you have to have a couple well known tropes in there.
Also how did people with allergies survive back in the day? I heard stories about noble borns having some allergies but a peasant having a child who was lactose intolerant wouldn't be able to feed it. I imagine gluten intolerance would be another death sentence for a low born since bread was a staple of the diet.

But back to the question at hand. It sounds a bit fiddly with the way things are now and I'm sure the vast majority of players would just put them down instead of trying to micromanage a whole range of different foods.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:19:59 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allergies, Diseases, and also Vegan Dwarves
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:35:30 am »

Ah well, I am a kinda player who tries to make due with whatever dorfs come my way, I don't like to just kill them, but I guess that is true of some players.

I updated my post with another idea I had to spice up the healthcare industry, adding medicine industry and diseases/infections.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 01:20:26 am »

They can be vegan dwarves and they will get negative thoughts seeing meat products when they go to get food and also get negative thoughts if they witness wild animals being killed or hunted and seeing a domesticated animal get butchered.

Also known as elves.

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 02:40:16 am »

Well, elves are cannibals, so... I'm not sure if they qualify as vegan.

Actually, that raises an interesting point. Dwarves will eat any nonsentient. Elves will not eat anything but sentients [and fruit, I guess]. So why are elves the pussies, instead of the evil terrors that stalk the night and eat your young?
Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:30:23 am »

I think that only nobles should have special dietary needs.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43:38 am »

I think that only nobles should have special dietary needs.
Of MAGMAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sry Necro beat ya too it XD
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Allergies and also Vegan Dwarves
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:18:47 pm »

Sounds like they would both be thrown into the great Drawven natural selection device known as "magma".

On a serious note don't Dwarfs in fanatasy generally have a higher state of reisistance to things like poisons, magic and disease? I'm not saying everything has to be generic fantasy but I suppose if you're trying to build a fantasy world simulator then you have to have a couple well known tropes in there.
Also how did people with allergies survive back in the day? I heard stories about noble borns having some allergies but a peasant having a child who was lactose intolerant wouldn't be able to feed it. I imagine gluten intolerance would be another death sentence for a low born since bread was a staple of the diet.

But back to the question at hand. It sounds a bit fiddly with the way things are now and I'm sure the vast majority of players would just put them down instead of trying to micromanage a whole range of different foods.

Being lactose intolerant is not an allergy, well at least not in the normal sense. It just means your body cannot process cows milk, much in the same way we process grass today. Medieval Europe? Well peasants weren't known for good diets, but they just breast fed babies and the like. Only until this century and past were there actually a lot of people who had developed the ability to drink cows milk. But it would be interesting if dwarves couldn't tolerate a certain type of food or drink, but I imagine it would get tedious searching every dwarf for allergies and the like. Great idea, though the actual application of the system would be a bit finnicky and difficult to impliment, whilst retaining the !!FUN!! for the player. The most likely thing that could happen would be players comepletely ignoring the allergies, or finding out what a certain dwarf is allergic too and locking him in a room full of said thing. It is the dwarven way, what doesn't kill you, makes you drunker.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:33:55 am »

dwarves that only eat plants? That seems a little odd since dwarves live underground and it is often easier to take animals underground then plants...now granted we have "cave" plants which are nice functionally if not all that believable (I guess some sort of weird mushroom).

I think dwarves would be on the opposite end of the spectrum, they only eat meat simply because they don't like plants, are allergic to them, or religious reasons?

Or maybe some dwarves will decide that they will only eat alcohol....so instead of eating they drink three times as much (especially things like "beer" i mean liquid bread...)..oh wait do they already do this? ;)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 08:40:01 am »

Allergies sound pretty far-fetched to a video game and i figure that every dorf love meat. Leave carrots to the elves hippies.

Diseases would be fun in some form however.

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 02:57:47 pm »

Allergies mainly sprouted from seeing a lot of animals and dorfs get stung by bees, but it is just a spam message and nothing bad ever happens of it.

To make it more meaningful it can also be integrated to the traits system for genetic transfer and allergies/immunities relating to attacks can be implemented relating to forgotten beasts for instance. Some dorf might have a natural born immunity to a certain type of spittle that a forgotten beast produce. If so, it would be advantageous to try and get him to be a full-time breeder. Breed him with one dorf lady, let her birth then kill her off and let him get with other dorf ladies till you have lots of new dorfs with immunity to that spittle.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:05:11 pm »

Dwarves already have allergies. They are allergic to the sun. As well DF is set during a time in history where being a vegan would be detrimental. Even if you forget that you couldn't manufacter the vitamin supplements you couldn't really afford to be picky about what you ate when there was a real possibility of starving.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »

Dwarves already have allergies. They are allergic to the sun. As well DF is set during a time in history where being a vegan would be detrimental. Even if you forget that you couldn't manufacter the vitamin supplements you couldn't really afford to be picky about what you ate when there was a real possibility of starving.

And vice versa.

Also, dwarves are not allergic to the sun. Dwarves that linger too long underground become cave adapted - better suited for living underground, and they feel ill above ground. It'd be like throwing someone in and out of a tundra and a desert, the shock for a dwarf would be severe :d

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 04:08:51 pm »

Ummm, there is tons of farming options that allow one to not even need meat.

I suppose vegan dorfs could be weaker in general, being more easy to be killed by wounds and others but they could live longer when faced by old age.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 09:22:00 pm »

Allergies sound pretty far-fetched to a video game
Wait, what? What's your logic here?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2 3