Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Legend of Mana ~Nostalgia~  (Read 1756 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Mana ~Nostalgia~
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 01:29:54 pm »

Fairly sure you can save him, or so I rad in a faq once, but it takes a quest.

I believe it involved making a potion in the school there. Which can take a while to force yourself through.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 04:31:16 pm »

<3 Pearl and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 05:37:33 pm »

I haven't played this game before. Perhaps I'll find it for an emulator and try it out.

I HAVE played Dawn of Mana for PS2, and besides a few quirks, such as annoying jumping physics, and the fact that your level gets lowered back to 1 after EVERY LEVEL, I rather enjoyed it.
It's got some cool physics that allow you to send enemies flying, set them on fire, and do a host of other amusing things to defeat them.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 07:26:01 pm »

My handle is the green wiggly.

Also, how about that legend of mana 3? One of those SNES RPGs that pretty much blew my mind about the possibilities of a simple RPG system. Everything from the multiple story lines to glorious class system, really. God damn I wish someone would do this series justice on some of the newer systems, it's been bastardized pretty badly. Some of the hand-helds had ok gameplay, but everything outside of that is below average.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 07:28:46 pm »

God damn I wish someone would do this series justice on some of the newer systems, it's been bastardized pretty badly. Some of the hand-helds had ok gameplay, but everything outside of that is below average.

I'm thinking this constantly. Pound for pound the old RPGs put more attention into their game systems than most of the newer top of the line RPGs do now. Wishing someone with the vision and the technical ability would redo something like FFT, Tactics Ogre, for today's systems. Instead they're content to just port the old classics to the newest devices.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 07:44:53 pm »

Yessss this game.  I never did finish it... mostly due to saves constantly disappearing from my memory card.  :\

I never could figure out crafting, either, and I never had the dosh or the materials to really get into it...

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 07:51:13 pm »

Yessss this game.  I never did finish it... mostly due to saves constantly disappearing from my memory card.  :\

I never could figure out crafting, either, and I never had the dosh or the materials to really get into it...

I am currently wrestling with the system right now, and even with faqs it's an utter pain.  I'll get the hang of it eventually, but it's no wonder my 10 year old or so self never could understand it when I'm having issues now.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 09:06:23 pm »

Holy crap. I loved this game like a child. I'm high on nostalgia right now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 09:16:51 pm »

Holy crap. I loved this game like a child. I'm high on nostalgia right now.

I think I have a copy somewhere... Probably is I can't find it for the life of me.

Mind you... The last dungeon kills me everytime with how long and tough (puzzle wise) it is.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 09:44:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure I still have my CD and the booklet!  :D  Sadly though, they are in a non-original case.  Much thinner than PS1 game cases should be.

Earth Painting and Wind Sings of a Journey are my favorite songs out of the game.

Also, I'm pretty sure I remember de-stoning Gilbert.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 09:58:34 pm »

I never actually played this game.  Would it still be worthwhile without the nostalgia value?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 10:03:29 pm »

I never actually played this game.  Would it still be worthwhile without the nostalgia value?

Absolutely. It's quite fun, even though it WAS way too easy on lower difficulties. At least that's how I felt when I played it.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 10:57:53 pm »

The Mana series hasn't been treated very well... at ALL!

Terrible terrible sequels.

Oddly enough there is an unrelated game (possible a series) that honestly I consider part of it. It is the one where you have a Dog.
Secret of Evermore. Amazing game, and part of a different trilogy, though the links are REALLY tenuous between them. Illusion of Gaia and one other, can't really recall.

Secret of Evermore was made by Square, and Illusion of Gaia was made by Quintet (published by Enix); they have nothing to do with eachother. Illusion of Gaia is part of the Soul Blazer series (the series contains Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma). There's also a debate as to whether The Granstream Saga is the fourth game in series (it was developed by Shade, a company composed of Quintet staff).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Blazer_series#Soul_Blazer.2FGaia_Series
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:54 am »

So I started playing this, and I'm really surprised. On one hand, I hate saccharine sweet games. And at first I thought that's what this was, all the awesomeness aside. But there's kind of like this demented dream fantasy thing going on that's pretty cool, and the first three "quests" have all been funny and goofy and off beat. I really wonder how, being a Square fan, I just completely fucking missed this game back in the day.

I'm also gobsmacked at the complexity. Seriously, it's like the game devs from Secret of Mana dropped acid and went to work. There's so much information to digest I'm almost afraid of looking at a wiki or FAQ.

It's funny how, looking back over the old Square games, so many tropes are used and reused. When I saw how the location artifacts work in this game, I was like "gee, where have I seen this before." I have to say I kind of like its usage here. It makes less sense than in FFT:A even, yet somehow makes more.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:29:30 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2]