Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legend of Mana ~Nostalgia~  (Read 1762 times)

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
Legend of Mana ~Nostalgia~
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:19:44 pm »

I recently rediscovered this absolute gem of a game.  Music is amazing, and while the plot is kinda WTFy with how everything goes about I'm having a blast.  This thread is for talking about the game, the mechanics, the plot, whatever.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Mana ~Nostalgia~
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:38:38 pm »

So good. This game stole alot of my afternoon hours, just so ridiculously pretty and OCD stimulating. Letting you use any weapon type, craft any weapon, make golems, create magic, raise pets, grow an orchant, use diferent combat moves, special techs, allies, interesting quest system, super unique plot and stuff. Holy shit I'm going to get an emulator and play it again.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 11:46:50 pm »

Oh yeah, that game. It was pretty amazing, even by today's standards. My favorite part was the way too detailed weapon crafting system.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 11:47:40 pm »

My issue is that I got too good when I played it as an adult.

To the point where it is a LOT easier now then it was when I was younger where I was abusing instruments for the full screen stuns I would get.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 12:30:03 am »

I had Secret of Mana back on the SNES. Good times. It's a rare example of a jRPG I acutally liked. Charactors aren't too insane, story isn't too insane and the combat is fairly solid and real time.

Sword of Mana on the gameboy advance was also fairly decent. Secret will always win because of the nostalgia though. Everything looked better in the 90s when the world was young and primative.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:04 am »

I had Secret of Mana back on the SNES. Good times. It's a rare example of a jRPG I acutally liked. Charactors aren't too insane, story isn't too insane and the combat is fairly solid and real time.

Sword of Mana on the gameboy advance was also fairly decent. Secret will always win because of the nostalgia though. Everything looked better in the 90s when the world was young and primative.
I had the misfortune to play Children of Mana after loving Sword of Mana...

Do not. Do. Not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:07:44 am »

The Mana series hasn't been treated very well... at ALL!

Terrible terrible sequels.

Oddly enough there is an unrelated game (possible a series) that honestly I consider part of it. It is the one where you have a Dog.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:19:51 am »

Oddly enough there is an unrelated game (possible a series) that honestly I consider part of it. It is the one where you have a Dog.
It's like they took everything good and well done out of the Sword of Mana, and crushed its soul in front of me to teach me a lesson: "Everything you love, we can destroy." And boy, did they. I mean, all the plot that existed in Sword of Mana disappeared. Roaming map, gone. Level system, no more. Battle system, dumbed down. The whole game became a hack and slash, which isn't bad, but it wasn't the game I wanted. Also, it kept saying I had more to do, but in no way described WHAT it was I had to do. I looked at EVERYTHING. Twice. Nothing. That's the worst part. Reading over and over how you still have more to beat on this horrible game.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 04:25:37 am »

It's odd that I ran across this thread, as I'm currently on an old-school PS1 RPG binge. I've already finished Star Ocean 2 and Front Mission 3 in the last few days, I may as well try an RPG I haven't beaten a million times. This one has always sounded neat anyways.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 04:35:35 am »

Secret of Evermore. Amazing game, and part of a different trilogy, though the links are REALLY tenuous between them. Illusion of Gaia and one other, can't really recall.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 10:39:58 am »

The Pirate Penguins are great fun. Love their clothes.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 12:27:33 pm »

I love this game, I've played it and beat it so many times.
I used to rent it a lot, but I could never beat it because it'd screw up in the next to last boss battles.
It was one of the first games I ended up buying on my PS3.  8)
Even joined up with a Legend of Mana group on Yahoo that mostly has to do with the smelting system.

So what if the battles are easy, the story is fun!
And once you beat it and get the ability to up the difficulty, it's much tougher.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 01:08:31 pm »

The Pirate Penguins are great fun. Love their clothes.
Their clothes? They have a great attitude as well, Cap'n.
Also, since it's been a long while since my childhood, the dialog between the centaur Casanova and the Medusa/Goron girl... yeah, amazing how innocent I used to be.

The game's just great in general, although if playing with a second player, make sure they can stay, otherwise you might have to take control of their character to get to the next area, which is way off to the left of the camera.

Speaking of, just got it a few days ago on me PS3/PSP, but haven't touched it due to some games backlog, as well as well... this might be easily the 10th time I started playing it, so I know the beggining, to the point I can pretty much navigate the early dungeons based on a tingling feeling I get.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 01:27:05 pm »

It always drove me ABSOLUTELY that I couldn't save the Centaur... It was actually the creepiest part of the game to me.

It took a character who was trying to recover from a horrible break up... and essentially kills him. (I think MUCH later you can make a potion to save him... but I never was able to get it)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:28:47 pm »

Fairly sure you can save him, or so I rad in a faq once, but it takes a quest.
Pages: [1] 2