Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My mining stockpile keeps collapsing  (Read 2254 times)

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My mining stockpile keeps collapsing
« on: August 12, 2006, 05:32:00 pm »

My mining stockpile keeps collapsing,and it is not that big. I put a support in the middle of it, and it is still collapsing.
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: My mining stockpile keeps collapsing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »

7x7 open areas are bad.  How large is it?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »

5x10
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 06:22:00 pm »

Hrm, never had that happen before.  Screen or data/save .sav + region folder would help.  Shouldn't have giant collapses and falling debris in any area that doesn't contain a 7x7.

c.fe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 06:33:00 pm »

How does the colliding work. Does it just affect rooms that are at least 7x7?

And how do supports work? If I want a room that's 9x18 how should I place the supports?

Some note about all this should be in the online-help which is by the way already quite useful.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 06:48:00 pm »

Pretty simple, really: place the supports on every seventh horizontal and vertical tile, so there will only ever be areas that are either 6 tiles wide or 6 tiles high.

I like to use more supports than that, though, since it makes things look nicer: for instance, I'll line a large chamber with supports on every other horizontal tile along the main path through that chamber -- for instance, a room that's 15 tiles tall of indeterminate width has 5 tiles tall of empty space, a row of supports, three tiles of walkway, another row of supports, and 5 more tiles of empty space.

This is actually one of my favourite things to do in Dwarf Fortress: putter around with interesting architecture.

Make sure you have the supports completed before you dig out around them, though!  I tend to dig tunnels along the lines where the supports are supposed to go, then dig out the rest of the room once the supports are all done.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

c.fe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 07:01:00 pm »

Well, I had a 7x7 room that crashed. So I cleaned it up again and put a single support in the middle, so it looked about like this:
code:

..O....

And that crashed again.

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 07:11:00 pm »

This is something that was told to me by the great one. The layout for a MASSIVE cave. make a plan for 4 6x6s, each with one tile between eachother, forming a large square, now also mark the lines between the squares for digging except for that small single centre square. Now you have a massive cave, that won't collapse because there ain't any 7x7s or larger

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 07:22:00 pm »

Of course, if 7x7s with supports are crashing, all bets are off...  I'll check this out.  Perhaps the crash that it sets up when you dig it back out isn't clearing properly on support placement, although that wouldn't explain a 5x10 crashing.

Another note in case it matters:  The dust that blows out from cave-ins can knock down supports.

[ August 12, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 08:06:00 pm »

Are you sure the supports were finished before then the cavern collapsed?
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

c.fe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 08:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Are you sure the supports were finished before then the cavern collapsed?</STRONG>

Well I saw some dwarf moving there and dropping a stone and standing there a bit. But I'm not 100% sure that he didn't get interrupted or did even start - just 80%-90% sure ;-).

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 10:35:00 pm »

You can tell whether the support is finished because when it's finished, it converts to a dark grey/grey/white I on a black background.  When it hasn't yet been finished, it's a black I on a dark grey/grey/white background.

I can't begin to count how many times I've smacked my desktop angrily because someone working on a pillar decides that now would be an excellent time to go get a drink, meaning that I have to halt all mining in the room until I can get someone else to pick up the slack...

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 01:08:00 am »

>My mining stockpile keeps collapsing,and it is not that big.

Looks like a great way to waste excess rock

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 02:28:00 am »

Cave-in chambers are also a good source of new rock, should you ever run out.. .  somehow...

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 03:26:00 am »

This thread frightens me, as my current fortress plan features a city composed of 9x9 blocks with pathways on the outside and any combination of 3x3s, 7x3s, or a single 7x7 block in the center (for industrial blocks). The uncertainty in the system has put a damper on my enthusiasm for this plan.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.
Pages: [1] 2