Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Removing rust from pliers  (Read 10318 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing rust from pliers
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:53:54 pm »

How do I do this?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removing rust from pliers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:38:54 pm »

Soaking in vinegar and then scrubbing is a good way to remove rust from most objects.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 06:43:53 pm »

Excellent, thank you.

Do you recommend steel wool?  For the scrubbing, I mean.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 07:17:52 pm »

If you let it soak long enough the rust should basically just dissolve. It's not a good idea for more delicate objects, but for pliers you can probably just soak them in the white vinegar for an hour and then use a paper towel and water to rinse the rest off.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 07:23:14 pm »

Oh, cool.  Thanks, this'll help a lot.

I'll keep the thread open temporarily, but with luck I'll be able to lock it soon :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 07:43:00 pm »

I think good ol' fashioned Coca Cola will do the trick too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 07:51:35 pm »

Yeah, any kind of acid should do the trick. Just use whatever you lying around.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 09:10:44 pm »

I think good ol' fashioned Coca Cola will do the trick too.
THat's what I did when I had to de-rust a stack of old coins I had forgotten in an inconvenient place.

It worked quite nicely. Was a good thing because some of the coins were rather curious. For instance, I had two contemporary 25c coins from the SCW, one coined by the Republican goverment, and the other by the military junta.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »

He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 10:19:50 pm »

Mom gave me a toolbox with a can of old (and apparently rusted-through) Wd40 in it.  All of that leaked out all over the place, so she told me to pour off the worst and leave the box in the sun a while.  Well, I did, but we had a spate of rain almost immediately, I'd forgotten about the box, and everything ended up in standing water a little bit longer than it should have been.

Most of the tools are fine, but there's a few rusty sets of pliers and one of the wrenches has yellow gooey crap all over it, so I dunno about that.  But they're out finishing drying, and in two days I'm going to de-rust/wipe everything down.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:02 am »

They got soaked in wd40 and continued to rust?  ???
Also, coke? Not as good as it used to be in the past. Yes it is still acidic, but I am under the impression that it used to be more than carbonic acid doing the work, and these days it would be just as good as soda water.
So yea, something acidic, hello vinegar!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 01:18:00 am »

Yeah, they're pretty old and crappy tools, and it was a lot of rainwater.  I'll probably try your suggestions tomorrow morning, if I can get up the gumption.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 02:46:47 pm »

They got soaked in wd40 and continued to rust?  ???
Also, coke? Not as good as it used to be in the past. Yes it is still acidic, but I am under the impression that it used to be more than carbonic acid doing the work, and these days it would be just as good as soda water.
So yea, something acidic, hello vinegar!
Coke contains a lot of phosphoric acid, at least the brand we tested in the lab. pH is about 2.5 or something, so it's acidic enough to affect the rust. Anything acidic enough will work though, so mixing some hydrochloric acid from a hardware store with water may be cheaper. Try 1 ml per liter for a start, that should give you a pH of roughly 2.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:49:22 pm by Virex »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 03:21:01 pm »

I use ketchup when cleaning corroded electrical contacts. The vinegar in it does the cleaning, and its viscosity makes it easy to apply in tricky places, aswell as letting stick while doing its cleaning. As an added bonus all my high voltage electrical gear tastes great and smells good.
This is a blank sig.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 06:47:52 pm »

I'd not heard that one before.

As an added bonus all my high voltage electrical gear tastes great and smells good.

Bonus indeed. I wonder if that's just as good for corroded battery contacts for your car....

Wait. Do you normally lick your high voltage gear?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2