Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 224738 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #1095 on: November 09, 2011, 12:42:54 pm »

Time for panic?

"They left after Season 2 was written. It was a little ugly."

I'm a little worried after reading that.  I'm not worried that they're going to cancel the show (although they well might, some companies don't give a crap even if a cartoon is doing well).

I'm worried about the quality of the episodes.  It's funny, reading on Equestria Daily, it seems that most fans think that season 2 is better than season 1.  Most people here disagree.  I'm not sure what to think, since I've seen so little of the first season.

I'll admit that I was worried about the show after I read that Lauren Faust left, if for no reason other than it would surely change.  I hadn't even watched any of it by that point, but I knew I was going to like it when I did.  And I did, and I knew that if it changed from something all of these fans liked it would probably only change for the worse.

At least most fans seem to think season 2 is great.  I still think it's better than most crap on TV these days, even if I can't fairly weigh it against season 1.  But if they change writers again, who knows what might happen.

I feel pretty strange caring this much about the fairly distant future of a cartoon that I've watched all of 8 episodes of.  Curse you ponies...

+1

My own response:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the other hand, I think the fandom has enough inertia and creative talent to keep going by itself even if the show is cancelled/falls into the pit of mediocrity.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: November 09, 2011, 12:48:18 pm »

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone took up the mantle.

I'd personally probably bitch, whine and moan enough at Hasbro to get called a terrorist or something so they could get rid of me. That or start work on the transdimensional portal system so I could go and live in Equestria. Something tells me if I did that, Equestria's human population would grow pretty rapidly, though.
Nothing important here, move along.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 09, 2011, 12:50:43 pm »

I'd personally probably bitch, whine and moan enough at Hasbro to get called a terrorist or something so they could get rid of me. That or start work on the transdimensional portal system so I could go and live in Equestria. Something tells me if I did that, Equestria's human population would grow pretty rapidly, though.
Only let a few Bay12ers in  :P

Sociopaths in a happy pony utopia: What could go wrong?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: November 09, 2011, 12:54:37 pm »

The biggest problem would be the natural segregation and extreme racism that would insure. Plus, who is saying Equestria is the only country? There could be another completely psychotic country with lots of highly advanced technology and a real hate for anything standing on two legs. For some reason. And who is saying the transdimensional portal system won't go wrong and you'll end up teleporting a whole platoon of nazis, the majority of Genghis Khan's forces and a group of British soldiers from the Somme into Equestria? That'd lead to one hell of a want for a nail, leading to Equestria mostly being ponies either under the Third Reich, Genghis Khan, England or the scattered forces of Celestia? That wouldn't be a nice place to live. I'll stay right here until it has been proven safe, thank you very much.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 09, 2011, 12:55:12 pm »

If, at any point in time, TBP makes it into Equestria...  well, I don't like to use the word "doomed". Let's just say "it's bound not to end very well" - ..aaand there goes my understatementometer. Damn, I paid good money for that thing.

edit: also, update on one of the sketches:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:56:48 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: November 09, 2011, 01:01:43 pm »

On the other hand, I think the fandom has enough inertia and creative talent to keep going by itself even if the show is cancelled/falls into the pit of mediocrity.

While I suspect that you're right here, it's not very comforting.  :(

As my avatar probably gives away, I'm a big fan of the old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon (commonly called SatAM).  The community has produced a lot of pretty cool stuff, and continues to do so many, many years after the show's untimely demise.  It's just not the same as new official material, and never could be.  But, since it's pretty apparent at this point that we will never see anything official related to it ever again, it'll have to do I suppose.

Guess I'll have to be content in the thought that Hasbro can take ponies off the TV or drag them through the mud, but they can't take ponies back from the fans.

Ah well, I am getting a bit ahead of myself here.  I'm a pessimist in the best of times, but perhaps this is jumping the gun just a bit.  It's unlikely, but not impossible that by the end of season 2 it will have turned out to be better than season 1.  And season 3 could turn out to be better than both.  We just don't know yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 09, 2011, 01:09:36 pm »

It won't go on forever though.

Makes me want to invent a time-axis quantum variability datalink machine, to find a universe where MLP:FiM went on for some fifty seasons, and download everything... but I still haven't even completed the powerplant prototype. *sigh*
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 09, 2011, 01:19:21 pm »

No, it can't go on forever.  And really I suppose even if it gets canned after 65 episodes, that's a heck of a lot better than a lot of cartoons.  Unless I'm mistaken, SatAM got canceled after only 26 episodes (two 13-episode seasons).

I'd have preferred at least a full 4 seasons, but we can't always get what we want.

In the end, if the quality is going to suffer, I'm siding with the camp that it's best to kill it off instead of letting it just drag on.  I used to think that I'd never get tired of Spongebob, but the last few years have really started to make me question that...

I don't want MLP:FiM to turn into shallow mechanical plots.  An even better example than Spongebob would be the Fairly Odd Parents.  In the last few seasons, I could all but literally write out an entire new episode I was going to watch based on what happened in the first 90 seconds.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 09, 2011, 01:22:30 pm »

Right.

Now I am really motivated to get on the writing team and start running the series into the ground. I SHALL MAKE THE DARKEST EPISODES EVAAAR

Right, first shall be the adaption of Pathologic. Then it's going to be The Suffering. Next, Cryostasis. Then I shall make an episode where we find that Pinkie is actually looking at something completely different then us... It'll totally ruin the series and get it banned everywhere, but goddamn would be an epic finale.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 09, 2011, 01:27:24 pm »

Right.

Now I am really motivated to get on the writing team and start running the series into the ground. I SHALL MAKE THE DARKEST EPISODES EVAAAR

Right, first shall be the adaption of Pathologic. Then it's going to be The Suffering. Next, Cryostasis. Then I shall make an episode where we find that Pinkie is actually looking at something completely different then us... It'll totally ruin the series and get it banned everywhere, but goddamn would be an epic finale.
Me and the 'bold are way ahead of ya!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 09, 2011, 01:31:55 pm »

Pssh.

Your ponies are used to having a terrible time of it... However, I shall MAKE THE MANE CAST AS TRUE TO THEIR CHARACTERS AS POOOOOOOOOOOOSIBLE! Every horrible thing, every death, every monstrous being.... THEY SHALL REACT WITH THEIR NORMAL PERSONALITY!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 09, 2011, 01:35:00 pm »

*snip*And who is saying the transdimensional portal system won't go wrong and you'll end up teleporting a whole platoon of nazis, the majority of Genghis Khan's forces and a group of British soldiers from the Somme into Equestria? That'd lead to one hell of a want for a nail, leading to Equestria mostly being ponies either under the Third Reich, Genghis Khan, England or the scattered forces of Celestia? That wouldn't be a nice place to live. I'll stay right here until it has been proven safe, thank you very much.
The mongols would use ponies as epic mounts, at first, trying to capture and train them like horses, then breeding em with horses they brought from back home to try to get bigger ponies.  Sooner or later, they'll learn that ponies are intelligent, but, having the perceived upper hand, they would be very resistant to changing how things are from the top-down. 
By that time, ponies will be 'tainted' by the fighting and such they had to do to defend themselves from the Mongols and as their mounts... as the Mongols, roam Equestria and beyond, exploring this new world, not knowing what to think of all the 'peaceful' beast people they encounter.
But, seeing as how Genghis Khan united the Mongol horde for a common cause... there may be fractures to the alliance, with no perceived threat other then a relatively new and peaceful land of plenty...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 09, 2011, 01:40:04 pm »

Pssh.

Your ponies are used to having a terrible time of it... However, I shall MAKE THE MANE CAST AS TRUE TO THEIR CHARACTERS AS POOOOOOOOOOOOSIBLE! Every horrible thing, every death, every monstrous being.... THEY SHALL REACT WITH THEIR NORMAL PERSONALITY!

The biggest problem would be the natural segregation and extreme racism that would insure. Plus, who is saying Equestria is the only country? There could be another completely psychotic country with lots of highly advanced technology and a real hate for anything standing on two legs. For some reason. And who is saying the transdimensional portal system won't go wrong and you'll end up teleporting a whole platoon of nazis, the majority of Genghis Khan's forces and a group of British soldiers from the Somme into Equestria? That'd lead to one hell of a want for a nail, leading to Equestria mostly being ponies either under the Third Reich, Genghis Khan, England or the scattered forces of Celestia? That wouldn't be a nice place to live. I'll stay right here until it has been proven safe, thank you very much.
It's like someone poured the contents of my head onto a dimensional plane.

AMMA RUN AROUND IN MAH JACKBOOTS WITH MEH PONEEEEEZ

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 09, 2011, 01:43:14 pm »

Right.

I could get behind this.  :D  If My Little Pony is going to go down, it at least should go out with style.

After all, I'm on the 8th page of a Warhammer 40K / MLP:FiM crossover comic that's going to have lots of space marines and skitarii shooting ponies.  And ponies returning the favor.  In the grim darkness of the far future, war is magic, and everything is grimdark.  I fully support grimdark ponies.

I have a very strange way of showing my approval of cartoons apparently.  Now if only WH40K and ponies hadn't been crossovered a hundred times already... at least mine is different from ponies in power armor.

Hmm, now what would Dr. Robotnik do with ponies?  Roboticized ponies, anyone?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 09, 2011, 02:07:37 pm »

Expect a thread on ponychan in the projects section in a week from me.

I don't care if the show's gonna go down or not. I don't care if season 2 and 3 end up sucking. Season 1's goddamn awesome enough for me to want to make the fangame circling in my head for the past few months. It's shit right now, but the engine's 95% built. I just need artists and content.

If the show ends up canceled, it's going to end with a bang. I want to be part of that bang.

*cracks knuckles*

Back to programming.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 153