Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 224749 times)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #750 on: November 03, 2011, 08:17:51 am »

That's like a group of Star Wars fans arguing over the name of the stormtrooper who got shot first in The Empire Strikes Back.
You mean you don't do that? o.O

No, but seriously, it's understandable that the fans are a bit annoyed by that. They made up names, background stories and personalities for so many characters and Hasbro can just come along and say "Nope. *trollface*" Known as "Jossed" on TVTropes. Granted, the show isn't very complex, but the characters are, so this applies here as well.

See, this is more worthy of fanrage than that.

You see, everyone had it coming, what with building characters out of a cutie mark and a color. Not saying it's bad; the background characters are all an important part of fanon right now. But it was destined that the hammer of God crush at least some of that with official content.
Pinkie Pie, on the other hand...
That is inexcusable.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 03, 2011, 08:21:56 am »

On the other hand, perhaps, that's just Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie. She is not supposed to be leaning on the fourth wall. The animators and storymakers did not intend her to be medium-aware. But she still is. Her very nature is making the animators make these "mistakes". How about that for a theory?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 03, 2011, 08:26:28 am »

My headcannon is now saved. that is an awesome theory.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 03, 2011, 08:35:17 am »

As much as I appreciate the mental image - please, it's "canon", one "n". I mean, I know it makes for great puns and the like (hehe, "armed with canon"), but it's annoying me to no end, seeing it everywhere.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 03, 2011, 09:11:05 am »

Actually, no. All that screenshot said was:
Fan: "Was Pinkie Pie supposed to look at the audience in these scenes?"
Animator: "No."

That is all. Everyone is overreacting "OH NOES, Pinkie Pie actually never broke the fourth wall!" But that is just wrong. Look at the ending of "Swarm Of The Century" or "Friendship Is Magic Part 2" or Pinkie Pie's cupcake song. She very clearly breaks the fourth wall.
There are many ways to break the fourth wall without ever looking at the fourth wall, so that actually changes nothing at all.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 03, 2011, 09:45:16 am »

BerryMoonshine...  I have no problems with this name.  I can see her having a number of tubs in her basement.  She will be my Brewer.

Heartstrings, such a pansypony name, but yea, considering the fandom, she's always been the one with the britches.  Heck, she could still be the one with the britches... ain't changing that.

Blues/Noteworthy, meh, never was on any of my radars, but since he now has a canon name, I might incorporate him somewhere...

Golden Harvest... well.. its another pony name...  a randomly generated one picking 2 words that sound shitty together...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:35 am »

I'm wondering, has anyone yet named a pony Harvest Moon?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 03, 2011, 09:53:36 am »

BerryMoonshine...  I have no problems with this name.  I can see her having a number of tubs in her basement.  She will be my Brewer.

Heartstrings, such a pansypony name, but yea, considering the fandom, she's always been the one with the britches.  Heck, she could still be the one with the britches... ain't changing that.

Blues/Noteworthy, meh, never was on any of my radars, but since he now has a canon name, I might incorporate him somewhere...

Golden Harvest... well.. its another pony name...  a randomly generated one picking 2 words that sound shitty together...
Nitpick! Toys aren't canon. Not at all. Unless of course, you think this exists in-universe. Note applejack's pink frilly accessories! She's known to love those!

I don't mind people calling these names "official" but they're absolutely no better justified to be used than the fanon ones. Calling them canon will only confuse.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:23 am »

I NEED THAT CARROT TOP TOY

I don't care that they ruined her name, man. THEY MADE A TOY FOR HER.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 03, 2011, 10:05:35 am »

More background pony fans need that attitude, penguin :D
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:16 am »

Golden Harvest was probably the worst name they could have chosen for a kid's toy.

Carrots aren't even golden anyway, they're orange.

At least we know they seem to be trying to appeal to the older demographic by including some popular background characters in the toy lines. Unfortunately, with 'tries' like this, they're going to have a bit of rockiness.
Nothing important here, move along.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 03, 2011, 10:13:45 am »

Nitpick! Toys aren't canon. Not at all. Unless of course, you think this exists in-universe. Note applejack's pink frilly accessories! She's known to love those!

I don't mind people calling these names "official" but they're absolutely no better justified to be used than the fanon ones. Calling them canon will only confuse.
Meh, a matter of opinion, don't matter to me as much.  As for the abomination that is Applejack's car... well, it ain't a stretch for me to see it as a recolored steampunk pick-up of sorts... and I'll eventually figure in a suitable use for ponies and non-ponies in my little world....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 03, 2011, 10:17:42 am »

That's like a group of Star Wars fans arguing over the name of the stormtrooper who got shot first in The Empire Strikes Back.
You mean you don't do that? o.O

No, but seriously, it's understandable that the fans are a bit annoyed by that. They made up names, background stories and personalities for so many characters and Hasbro can just come along and say "Nope. *trollface*" Known as "Jossed" on TVTropes. Granted, the show isn't very complex, but the characters are, so this applies here as well.

Because opening up the screen and talking straight at the audience is not breaking the fourth wall.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 03, 2011, 11:54:37 am »

More background pony fans need that attitude, penguin :D

I agree. I'll always call her Carrot Top, but guess what? The toy doesn't force me to call her Golden Shower Harvest. How do I acquire one of these things?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 03, 2011, 12:07:04 pm »

Well they were selling the old blind bag ponies at Toys R Us a while back. You can check there sometime in the next few weeks if there's one nearby. Alternatively, ebay.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 153