Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 224479 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #615 on: October 28, 2011, 09:00:04 am »

You happen to know enough Latin to write an entire fanfic? Or are you using Canis Latinicus?

Anyway, as for idea b. You could write it like a nature documentary. Pretend some scientist accidentally ended up in Equestria and is using a tape recorder to document the world and his struggles to return home.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 28, 2011, 09:12:41 am »

He said no crossovers, otherwise I'd suggest the same with a Star Trek spin, specifically the "Insurrection" film style.

And if you can do it in proper Latin, go ahead. I'd love to read something in Latin, simply because I'm always wondering what coherent sentences in that language actually sound like.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 28, 2011, 09:13:11 am »

Not classical Latin, but I'm decent with the Ecclesiastical stuff (and my uni has a good selection of lexicons for both classical and ecclesiastical), and the main difference between the two is the pronunciation.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 28, 2011, 09:32:06 am »

Sorry mate, but the only thing I can come up with is a collection of Roman soldiers ending up in Equestria and trying to build the Roman empire from scratch.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 28, 2011, 09:42:35 am »

Meus paulus equus: Amicitia est maga (Could use mihi, but I like the rhyme)
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 28, 2011, 09:56:19 am »

I'm gonna pimp my sidefic here. It's in the Side Stories post, obviously. I am working on the next chapter, but infrequently - school has kinda gotten in the way of me having much time to write.

Ah, I've probably read it, just the fact that it doesn't update much and is still in its early stages makes it... not as memorable.
As for M:tG, a Twilight deck would be Blue/Black, Rarity would be White, Fluttershy would be Green, Rainbow Dash would be Red, Applejack would be Green/Red and Pinkie Pie would be a crazy multicolored deck that shouldn't work but somehow does.
Just noticed this edit. I totally agree on Pinkie's deck. It should be a multitude of colors and colorless artifacts/enchantments, focusing on extreme ends of the cost spectrum, so that the deck more or less struggles to so much as get a single serious card out for the first half of the game, but if it survives past that or has a stroke of luck earlier, it unleashes all rainbow hell on everything. While singing.
But the game is usually won or lost in the first ten plays.
Pinkie's deck on the lower spectrum would probably be based more on delay tactics and annoying the opponent, possibly a way to draw more cards to keep it up.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 28, 2011, 09:58:20 am »

Sorry mate, but the only thing I can come up with is a collection of Roman soldiers Caligula ending up in Equestria and trying to build the Roman empire from scratch.

Fixed.

By the way, I really liked your fic, FD. Quite interesting and well written.

If you like, I have a sketchy backup plot arc in mind for the Goblin's Friend sequel that would bring Equestria to roughly the same state described in your work. Isn't all that much of a long shot.

Thanks! I'd honestly prefer to keep this at a distance from that fic, and the backstory I've got set up is actually crucial to the resolution of the plot.

Bit of a spoiler here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 28, 2011, 10:03:05 am »

Two variants of Pinkie Decks.

Red/Black burn decks - Cupcakes
Red/Blue counter - Mopey Pie.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 28, 2011, 10:30:17 am »

A question I intended for the collaborative writing thread, but which I suppose fits here as well and is more likely to be answered quickly.

Zecora the zebra. Does she really only talk in verse? Because I'm currently trying to put a certain fictional legend into verse (for TGF's sequel project), am not really sure it's working out so well, and am really wondering if it's all that necessary.

What I got so far, before spoilers of the current TGF fic begin:
Is there a doctor good poet in the house thread?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 28, 2011, 10:40:45 am »

A question I intended for the collaborative writing thread, but which I suppose fits here as well and is more likely to be answered quickly.

Zecora the zebra. Does she really only talk in verse? Because I'm currently trying to put a certain fictional legend into verse (for TGF's sequel project), am not really sure it's working out so well, and am really wondering if it's all that necessary.

What I got so far, before spoilers of the current TGF fic begin:
Is there a doctor good poet in the house thread?

It isn't so much that she speaks in verse as that she rhymes her sentences. You can have something written in verse without rhyming it. Blank verse is written in unrhymed iambic pentameter and is one of the most common forms in post 16th century English poetry.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 28, 2011, 10:51:23 am »

Well, Zecora seems to be using a sort of iambic tetrameter, most of the time, and always rhymed. So as to my question, the answer is probably "yes, she only speaks in verse".

And since I've posted that anyway, how would you gauge the existing segment? Good? Bad? Ugly?
I'm not well-versed (heh) in poetry even in my first language, so me trying to make a sort-of-poem in English is more than a little experimental.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 28, 2011, 11:33:05 am »

It's pretty good, but just keep in mind that you'll have many more options if you don't stick with rhyming, as that tends to lead to forced rhymes and awkward phrasing for the sake of keeping the rhyme. Incidentally, look at the Odssey. That is a perfect example of how to tell an epic tale in verse without rhyming. Hell, you don't even necessary have to use iambic pentameter; try a different meter, or even free verse.

3. Run Resize Enable

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 28, 2011, 11:35:03 am »

It's pretty good, but just keep in mind that you'll have many more options if you don't stick with rhyming, as that tends to lead to forced rhymes and awkward phrasing for the sake of keeping the rhyme. Incidentally, look at the Odssey. That is a perfect example of how to tell an epic tale in verse without rhyming. Hell, you don't even necessary have to use iambic pentameter; try a different meter, or even free verse.
AMA FLUBBIN MAH JUBBIN MUFFIN

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 28, 2011, 11:58:19 am »

AMA FLUBBIN MAH JUBBIN MUFFIN

On an unrelated note, I just noticed my language fail in that last post. Brain, why u so bad at thinking in the morning?

3. Run Resize Enable

BowlSoldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't **** with the Great Long Axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 28, 2011, 12:02:23 pm »

Meus paulus equus: Amicitia est maga (Could use mihi, but I like the rhyme)
Partis primo: Elementii consensio

(Excuse my grammar, been a few years)
Campaigning for wheelchair rights for legless adventurers since 1995.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 153