Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 224739 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #300 on: October 25, 2011, 08:55:54 am »

This is a bit off topic, but can someone explain the appeal of ponies to grown men?
This is one of the better explanations.

As for me, it's getting immersed in a different world. Believable characters, strong continuity, and good writing make suspension of disbelief really easy. What fantasy universe is better to get lost in than one full of candy, rainbows, and colorful ponies?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 25, 2011, 09:24:34 am »

It's honestly one of the few shows out there that's on the good side of Sturgeon's Law, and it's entertaining to watch. Even their bad episodes still outperform a lot of the bad series' good episodes. It also opens up a lot of logical and philosophical thought and discussion.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2011, 11:20:10 am »

I just really liked it for being a "light" cartoon that's funny, well-written, and populated with enjoyable characters. And a few catchy songs help as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 25, 2011, 12:13:42 pm »

I like it for the same reasons people have stated above, like good characters, good animation. I also like settings that explore societies of creatures differing from humans.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 25, 2011, 02:03:52 pm »

I like settings that explore societies of creatures differing from humans.

Does MLP really do that? I'd say no, the society and daily lives of the ponies don't really reflect the anatomical differences between humans and horses (eg. claiming that clothing is "hoof-stitched", which would be impossible even if the horse was sentient and knew how to use the needle - he'd still be unable to physically grasp it).

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 25, 2011, 02:08:46 pm »

Does MLP really do that? I'd say no, the society and daily lives of the ponies don't really reflect the anatomical differences between humans and horses (eg. claiming that clothing is "hoof-stitched", which would be impossible even if the horse was sentient and knew how to use the needle - he'd still be unable to physically grasp it).
For something fine like sewing, they'd probably use their mouths for the needle, and their hooves to hold the cloth.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 25, 2011, 02:13:03 pm »

So far the only really wrong thing about the universe as displayed is the ponies using obviously human-designed objects and tools. Since it's, at its core, a children's cartoon, using recognizability as a primary concern is understandable, but at this point I wouldn't mind a proper AU where the pony anatomy and behavior specifics are taken into account with the objects they use and structures they build.

edit: This particular image shows the problem quite well:

Although it's a minor animator error, it does show the rather out-of-place design of the handlebars quite well. Why would the ponies even need the T-shape if they only ever use one grasp to push the shovel? It'd just get in the way most of the time.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:19:31 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 25, 2011, 02:13:40 pm »

For something fine like sewing, they'd probably use their mouths for the needle, and their hooves to hold the cloth.
Fuck, most of them don't even wear any clothes.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 25, 2011, 02:24:27 pm »

Spoiler: Silly Frillies (click to show/hide)
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »

Fuck, most of them don't even wear any clothes.

But a large number of them wear accessories.

And everyone know accessories make everything sexier cuter.

Oh yeah, and Part 3 of my fic has finally overcome the trifold barriers of laziness, Aurora, and pretending to study for exams. Wuna hugs for anyone willing to wade into my rubbish to proofread it. :3

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 25, 2011, 02:42:38 pm »

Spoiler: Silly Frillies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 25, 2011, 03:02:55 pm »

All right, fair enough point. I like non-human characters in general. Exploring their societies is just a bonus
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 25, 2011, 03:06:13 pm »

All right, fair enough point. I like non-human characters in general. Exploring their societies is just a bonus
Same here  :)

I wonder why there is little to no real violence in the MLP world. I understand that it is a kid show, but that is a meta reason. Does grass release small amounts of depressants to keep the inhabitants in a peaceful haze? Did the ponies (Under discord, most likely) exterminate all major threats?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 25, 2011, 03:11:40 pm »

Did the ponies (Under discord, most likely) exterminate all major threats?
That's my theory, anyway. I think the world was FULL of god tier beings like the princess sisters and Discord way back when, and each carved out their own niches and kingdoms. Now most are gone, and what remains of the "old world" would be in Everfree and perhaps outside the borders of Equestira.

Totally wild mass guessing, but it'd be awesome. And kinda dark.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 25, 2011, 03:16:15 pm »

That depends on how you define "real violence", I think. Surely the giant pony-eating four-headed hydra alone qualifies for "major threat".

I think it's mostly because the ponies keep the lands they own under their own control. It's the reason the Everfree Forest is feared - it's not under control, things happen by themselves there. So the ponies keep to lands they're tending to, and thus keep out of trouble.

I'm fairly certain there's a darker side to the MLP verse, which the show simply does not explore. The mere existence of the Ursas, the Hydra, and the Cockatrice, hint at the fact that the world isn't a perfectly safe place, by far. There are also different sentient species and other factions that are briefly seen, hinting at a much larger world beyond what is shown. There are obviously things we do not see happen, but that isn't a reason to believe they do not happen at all.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 153