Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 224829 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2011, 05:29:20 pm »

Lesson Zero is the greatest episode ever. How could you not like it?

For me it was mainly OOC Rarity.

Rarity weren't no OOC. She's overly dramatic before she gets on with business. That's how she's always been.

Twilight's not off model.

What do you mean, Memetastic?

Characters aren't out of character.

Rarity was massively OOC. She gets dramatic about things that matter to her. What they had her doing in Lesson Zero was repeatedly overreacting to stupid things, not because it was in character, but to give them the chance to pull a prop gag with the sofa. Three times. When it was hardly funny the first time.

Twilight was massively offmodel. Her expressions, as kaijyuu said, narmtastic. There is a difference between exaggerating expressions for effect and doing it because you think it replaces actual humor. The same goes for Rarity's "joke" sofa: One-off gags and narm are not better than actual humor.

Memetastic: The episode was absolutely crammed with things that were obviously intended as memebait. Unsurprisingly, they because memes. Sonic Rainnuke, RD's sunglasses, etc. The references and internet in-jokes in S1 were fairly subtle, and were put there to amuse the creative team. The stuff in Lesson Zero were blatant grabs for attention.

I don't feel that Twilight was actually out of character (apart from the expressions), but Rarity certainly was. It was annoying seeing Pinkie out of character, and much worse to see some of her personality transposed onto Spike so they could do another sight gag. Seriously, the people who thought that LZ was a good idea should reevaluate their priorities, as they apparently thought that that sort of banal one-off joke was a replacement for pretty much everything good about the show.

For me it was mainly OOC Rarity.

How did you feel about Nightmare Night? Since apparently they decided not to bother including Rarity at all.

This is at the heart of my disappointment with the new direction the show is  taking. It's my favorite characters that are being ignored and abused by out of characterness. If Twilight were my favorite, it probably wouldn't bother me so much, but she's amongst my least favorite. I love Pinkie Pie. Lesson Zero, she had four lines in the entire episode, half of them were out of character, and they gave Spike some of her Pinkie-being-Pinkieness. Nightmare Night she had lines, but her whole personality seemed off.

I loved Nightmare Night, mainly because of the excellent way they handled Luna. I didn't mind Rarity being absent (in part because she isn't one of my favorites, but also because we've had plenty of other episodes where one or more of the mane six didn't show up/played minor parts), and I really see it as an improvement over LZ. I hope that this means that LZ was just a stunt to gather attention.

No, I don't like the show. Animation is alright but like I said thats as far as it goes. Watched 1 episode because I wanted to see what the damn deal was about. Nothing too much imo. But, everyone has diffirent likes hm?

Also, if possible Necro.. TONE DOWN THE DAMN PONY PICTURES ON OTHER THREADS. Now, I shall leave. Beating people with their own limbs awaits!

Same deal as with the anime thread: If you don't like it, why would you bother posting in here just to bash it? Seems like a waste of time.  ???

The animation in this season in general feels really weird. It's probably because they have a bigger budget, so they do more complex stuff with the faces and so on.
Still looks weird to me. I preferred it when it was simple.
And yes, I'm essentially going "they improved it, now it sucks" here.

I agree as far as Lesson Zero. They screwed up a lot in that. If you haven't yet, watch Nightmare Night, they handled it much better.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2011, 05:29:31 pm »

I love the animation. I can't see any problems with this season.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kaiser

• Bay Watcher
  • Post Traumatic Sparkle Disorder
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2011, 05:29:47 pm »

I'm of the opinion that Rarity was OOC and crazy Twilight was painful to watch.

Didn't we have an argumentdiscuss this very same thing earlier?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Little Dwarf: Losing is Fun!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2011, 05:30:00 pm »

Rarity weren't no OOC. She's overly dramatic before she gets on with business.

No, no, no!

Rarity is not the dramatic one. You obviously don't understand the character. She cares about appearances, yes. That's not "being dramatic." She simply has a high level of expectation when it comes to presentation. The only times Rarity has been "dramatic" have been her Gone with the Wind shout-outs. Like in the Gala episode. But she's not doing what you apparently think she is.

Example:

Best Night Ever 1m 22s

Watch that closely. Yes, Rarity puts the back of her hand to her forehead and whines "What ever shall we do??!!" But look at it in context. Look at the facial expressions. Twilight is frowning, asking "How will we get to the Gala!" Rarity drops her eyelids, delivers her line, then looks back at Twilight...takes a couple steps into the next frame, solves the problem, and then Twilight is obviously embarrassed that she made such a big deal of it.

The whole point here is that Rarity is pointing out that Twilight is overreacting. And Rarity's had several moment of this sort throughout the show. If you watch only the "What ever shall we do?!!?" without the context, you're misunderstanding what's going on.

Similarly, think of the whole diamond dog episode. She was basically kidnapped into slavery, yet she kept her cool, stared down the diamond dog who threatened her with a spear, and still had the cool-headed dignity to insist that they treat her like a lady. That's not "being dramatic." But during that episode they also showed what everyone else was imaginging she was like. And in those imaginings she was panicky and helpless.

Don't let the third-party imaginings and shout-outs out of context give you an incorrect view of the character.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »

But its the same thing that she's doing in this very episode.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2011, 05:35:10 pm »

But its the same thing that she's doing in this very episode.

In the first season her only "dramatic" moments were references or her emphasizing how simple problems were, essentially her being a bit sarcastic. In Lesson Zero, she has fainting fits every time a minor issue in her life appears. It isn't even done as an attempt to portray her character correctly, either. It is done purely for the sake of that idiotic sofa gag.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2011, 05:38:44 pm »

Lets not get too riled up here, our latest episode proved that that whole thing was one-off, and I've already sweeped up enough corpses with our prank.

Those of you who miss Rarity are getting an entire episode with her and Sweetie Belle soon. Chin up.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »

Lets not get too riled up here, our latest episode proved that that whole thing was one-off, and I've already sweeped up enough corpses with our prank.

Those of you who miss Rarity are getting an entire episode with her and Sweetie Belle soon. Chin up.

Those two marshmallow blobs do need some exercise.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2011, 05:46:16 pm »

Nothing on-topic to say except that I did enjoy Nightmare Night more than Lesson Zero.

Off-topic, I remembered the X-Com crossover idea again.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »

Nothing on-topic to say except that I did enjoy Nightmare Night more than Lesson Zero.

Off-topic, I remembered the X-Com crossover idea again.
It has a barcode scanner to read itself  :P

Kaiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2011, 05:48:37 pm »

Quick Question,
Who here has MLP toys? I have Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2011, 05:50:01 pm »

This. It's not the first time Rarity's been absent from an episode, either, she was not in Feeling Pinkie Keen, for example. In fact, Twilight is the only character that has been present in every episode.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2011, 05:52:46 pm »

Just waiting for the Scootapet episode at this point. Is there something wrong with me if that idea constantly reminds me of Zero no Tsukaima? I don't even really know why.

3. Run Resize Enable

Kaiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 23, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »

Well, thanks for the Warm Welcome everypony, Had a wonderful time, Now it's off to bed with me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 23, 2011, 06:14:29 pm »

I think what we're seeing in Lesson Zero is the episode-specific character quirks. Basically, different parts of the ponies' personalities are emphasized in different episodes for writing purposes. And people are just paying attention to this episode more.

Nobody got mad about Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash being prank-obsessed in Griffon the Brush Off, while not playing any pranks for the rest of season 1. Twilight is being more OCD than usual in Lesson Zero. Twilight was extra socially awkward in Look Before You Sleep. Pinkie's Pinkie Sense doesn't appear in any episode but Feeling Pinkie Keen but nobody really cares about that.

I think people are just mad about Pinkie and Rarity because they haven't had an episode to themselves yet this season, so the few lines they have had are given extra scrutiny.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 153