Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 224715 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #255 on: October 24, 2011, 05:42:56 pm »

Contrary to what some of the fanbase apparently believes

Not sure what the fanbase as a whole believes, but in the previous thread I remember seeing a lot of general dislike of her. Which is unfortunate. She is one of my favorite ponies. I suspect that some people either don't understand the character or are simply accustomed to perceiving anyone interested in class or appearance as evil or stupid. Hoity Toity, Photo Finish, Blueblood, the nobility at the gala...all generally protrayed as either ridiculous, obnoxious or both.

I think Rarity picks up some of the dislike aimed at them by association.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 24, 2011, 05:44:37 pm »

Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 24, 2011, 05:48:46 pm »

I wrote up this for another forum and I think it explains my problem with Luna Eclipsed well. Note that I really do like this episode (it's pretty high up there; a tick below Sonic Rainboom and such), but not top tier... because of this:

Quote from: me
Yeah like I said [about Luna's hairstyle change], we can make up plausible theories like [Luna growing older], or Lauren Faust's explanation (though whether her word matters anymore is really a matter for debate). The other [inexplicable things] can be patched up with various theories too. The problem is, the show itself leaves it unexplained and it's jarring.

Retcons (adding/changing something in canon history that wasn't originally intended) are not inherently bad things. The existence of Nightmare Night and all that entails is fine. We all know the writers hadn't thought up nightmare night yet when they were writing episode 1 and 2. That's the real reason Nightmare Moon didn't talk in ye olde englishe and no one recognized her as anything other than "an old pony's tale." However, good retcons leave you unaware there was a retcon in the first place. They could've fit nightmare night and Luna's new characterization/design in much better by just dropping a few lines of explanation (which is exactly what they did for the royal we and loud voice. Note that no one complaints about those particulars). If time's a concern, there were plenty of Pip's scenes to cut!

The example I use for a good retcon (precisely because I didn't realize it to be a retcon until years after) would be from Star Wars. Watching episode 4, it's pretty obvious that Obi Wan wasn't lying about Vader killing Luke's father. Fast forward to episode 6, and he throws out the "certain point of view" excuse. This worked because it was handled more like a reveal than a retcon; he really WAS lying, and the audience (and luke) wasn't supposed to realize it. It adds depth to Obi Wan's character and shows that no one's pure good (and by extension, neither is anyone pure evil), even if that wasn't the original intent of the writer, and thus is a pretty damn good retcon. Who knows how many retcons exist in season 1 of MLP that we don't even notice; the writers have shown sufficient skill in other areas that I don't doubt there's at least a few, and the show's probably better off for it.

That's kinda a long explanation of why these are plot holes and why they shouldn't need to be plugged up by us, but yeah.

That's not to say stop throwing plausible theories out there; I used to think Twilight was pretty out of character in Feelin' Pinkie Keen until someone pointed out Twilight's pretty darn prideful and would probably abandon scientific reasoning to prove herself right in the face of uncertainty. The difference is whether I and/or others are missing something obvious, or are we pulling theories out of midair. Feel free to hit me with the obvious :)
This was a reply to someone, hence the weirdness with the first paragraph's brackets, but you should get the gist of it.

I love digging deep into this show. Most (not all) of season one's episodes I couldn't make complaints of this magnitude, and that's one of the BIG reasons I love it; instead of fridge logic, I get almost nothing but fridge brilliance. The new showrunners have yet to prove to me that they're capable of making a show of the same caliber, but they've got plenty of episodes to do it. I'm much more confident after Luna Eclipsed than I was after Lesson Zero.

Also I'm staying out of your rarity debate :P She's not really my favorite so I don't have any emotional attachment to any interpretation of her. I will say the couch thing was pretty... bad, and definitely broke my suspension of disbelief, but only when she was stressing about plates. The ribbon thing, and the last one, flew by with me unscathed.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2011, 05:59:10 pm »

Oh come on, the fainting couch was awesome. If she'd used any other piece of furniture it would've been jarring, but the self-aware nature of the gag made it hilarious. At least to me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 24, 2011, 06:02:32 pm »

IMO it would've been a lot better if she had something more "rarity" to overreact to. The ribbon was... ok. I at least chuckled there. The plates made no sense.

So the idea behind the joke was fine, just could've been executed better.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2011, 06:03:02 pm »

Honestly, I'm not worried. Even their terrible jokes were at least partially thought out, and they seem to be getting back on the right track.

I think a bit of the grouchiness is because everyone was so damn excited for the new season that we all put way too much expectation into it. Once shit gets back into the motion, I'm certain everything will be better.

And apparently someone the writers listen to complained, next episode apparently got moved back a week (not necessarily new news, but I hadn't heard it on here yet).
Nothing important here, move along.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2011, 06:06:41 pm »

And apparently someone the writers listen to complained, next episode apparently got moved back a week (not necessarily new news, but I hadn't heard it on here yet).
Hrm? I assumed they just wanted to show the halloween episode again in October.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:43 pm »

Hmmm. Slightly disturbing.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2011, 06:32:52 pm »

I'm reading Fallout: Equestria for the first time.
Why the hay wasn't this the first thing I read? Ever?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2011, 06:35:46 pm »

I haven't read it at all. Is it good?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2011, 06:50:51 pm »

I haven't read it at all. Is it good?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is the best Pony story I have ever read.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »

Might have to give it a read, then.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2011, 06:59:07 pm »

Yay for good flash animations instead of ones that go wild and crazy for laughs.

DAWWwww

...What's the, uh, "maturity level" of FO: Equestria?  Past Sins was remarkably nonviolent.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2011, 07:06:28 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 153