Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 224876 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #1830 on: November 16, 2011, 08:56:24 am »

No, MLPxWarhammer wouldn't work. Warhammer 40k is angry as fuck and despairing at the entire universe while firing off rounds into the ceiling. MLP is pretty happy while memetastic.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: November 16, 2011, 08:58:17 am »

Shipping universes? This could be pretty hilarious. "Weird and strange shippings.rtf" is waiting for all your contributions! :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: November 16, 2011, 09:03:56 am »

Before we even try to ship universes, we'll need personifications. Anybody up to envisioning Wh40K-tan? Or MLP-tan?

Also, don't you know that opposites attract?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: November 16, 2011, 09:04:49 am »

Yeah, but bolters rounds are goddamn expensive.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: November 16, 2011, 09:07:39 am »

Ceilings are also expensive. I wonder, is the cost of a bolter round fired into the ceiling greater than the cost to replace the ceiling afterwards? Hmm...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: November 16, 2011, 09:21:33 am »

Considering that a bolter round is a 19mm bullet made up of a 'small' 7.62-sized depleted uranium projectile with a few grams of a high explosive and wrapped in steel and with a very specially designed rocket motor attached, it would sort of depend on the ceiling.

And it's good to know that my writing doesn't suck.
Nothing important here, move along.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: November 16, 2011, 10:19:51 am »

Now, Dsarker, don't lynch me for this. My total knowledge of the Warhammer 40K universe comes from me admiring the models and whatever I happen to dredge up on the wiki. If it's bad enough, the Chaos Gods did it :p
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A bit light for the WH40K universe, I know, but that's what ponies do to things :p

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: November 16, 2011, 10:33:59 am »

Haven't read it yet, but I'm gonna add it to the folder regardless. Any idea for a title?

Also, I've just found metric shittons of stuff by Argembarger. A few stories, a few poems and a lot of art.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:53 am »

Now, Dsarker, don't lynch me for this. My total knowledge of the Warhammer 40K universe comes from me admiring the models and whatever I happen to dredge up on the wiki. If it's bad enough, the Chaos Gods did it :p
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A bit light for the WH40K universe, I know, but that's what ponies do to things :p
And that, people, is how you write a readable Warhammer40K fic with ponies. (No offense, Dsarker. Speaking of which, I should really try and read your other crossover.) Barely a flicker on the input graph, not a spot on the shields - well done. I'm fairly sure that it'd be hard-to-impossible to do a real "nice" fic with a WH40K universe and ponies (and more importantly, the M6), but I suspect that as long as it doesn't pit named canon ponies against each other, it'll be a smooth ride even if they die as the story progresses.

I mean, anybody seen TTGL? Even if one of the M6 was Kamina (PinKamena? RD is definitely Kittan, with the way he dies) and other named and important ponies were in the redshirt parts of the Dai-Gurren Brigade, it wouldn't be as horrible as Dsarker's latest WH40K mini-fic.
(Oh, I can just imagine Celestia as Lordgenome... and then her head in a jar. This will be GLORIOUS. If Fluttershy didn't work so well as Nia, I'd suggest Luna for the role.)

edit: more thoughts on the hypothetical TTGL crossover. Which character is which, so far.
  • Simon the Digger - I initially thought Twilight would be good for this role, but ultimately it's too far out of her character, except for the whole "incredible source of power" part. If RD were Kamina, Scootaloo could work for the role, but I see her as more of a Gimmy replacement, because of age. Rarity, the other unicorn in the group (going for the obvious spiral horn analogy here) is even further from this... so, perhaps Twilight will have to do - protagonist in both shows. Spike, while a tempting option, would really clash with the later theme of form defining spiral power (or perhaps improve on it, if we go meta, since he's more humanoid), and perhaps won't really work post-timeskip too well.
  • Kamina - Wealth of options there. First option, as the epitome of all things cool, would be Rainbow Dash - but having her killed off so soon doesn't sit well with me, and besides - destroying the Spiral Death Machine with a Giga Drill RainBreaker (oh gog) would be the most awesome way to go. A Just For Pun option - PinKamena. Actually works pretty well, since she's an earth pony (Kamina is the least Spirally-powerful character in the series, or one of, according to WoG) with some pretty awesome abilities and party-organizing skills. Having HER killed off so soon is probably even worse though, but I can't see any other good role she could fill besides Attenborough or one of the Black Siblings. Using a background or non-main pony would lessen the impact of the plot-induced death, but it's hard to find one that the Simon character would reasonably be able to look up to. Spitfire or Soarin (or any of the Wonderbolts) could work if Simon was RD, but for Twilight it'd have to be either Celestia (who matches Lordgenome way too well), or Luna (who is either Nia or the Anti-spiral as NMM). As a complete alternative, a grown-up Spike could work as a Kamina, fitting well almost everywhere except for the fact it'd have to be a hell of a timeskip in relation to the show.
  • Yoko Littner - First option here would be Applejack, in everything but the fact she'd have to act as a love interest to first Kamina, then Simon (i.e. Spike and Twilight). If Rarity is chosen for this instead, the first part would work better with Spike as Kamina. Other options include Pinkie (no way, though the hair matches), or a background pony, which wouldn't work well for a major character such as Yoko.

My laptop's running low on power, so saving this in case it abruptly shuts down. More later.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:44:30 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: November 16, 2011, 11:48:29 am »

i hate(love) you all for introducing me to MLP! i cant stop reading fan made stories, i read TechHorse, Quest for Romance and a few others.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: November 16, 2011, 12:24:30 pm »

i hate(love) you all for introducing me to MLP! i cant stop reading fan made stories, i read TechHorse, Quest for Romance and a few others.

Here is a short extended list of stuff that is pretty much required reading for the fandom, as well as some that I personally enjoyed:

The Elements of Gaming
Fallout: Equestria - Easily in the top 5 MLP fics of all time
My Little Hangover
Ponies Play D&D
Stargate: Equestria - Feels like an episode of SG-1
Jack and the Ponies - Feels like an ep of Samurai Jack, rather than an episode of MLP; apparently this bothered some people, for some reason
On the Equestrian Republic and Equestrian Citizenship - fauxhistorical document hilarity
Princess Molestia - obviously I'm not going to link to it, as I'd rather avoid a mute. Keep in mind that it is actually very well done, and never goes into detail that would warrant more than a PG-13 rating. You can find it on fimfiction.
Breaking Bricks - One of my favorite OC stories, very well done
Of Cores and Alicorn - Banished!Luna + Wheatley and co.
The Creature that Came to Ponyville - MLP/Alien crossover
My Little Dashie - read it, and cry manly tears
The Sock Swap - Luna, socks, humor, need I say more?
The Cutie Mark Clash - a parody of/homage to practically every fighting game ever, in pony wrapping. I hardly ever play fighting games, and I still loved it, even if I missed half the references
Past Sins - Remember how I mentioned FO:E being in the top five MLP fics of all time? This may very well be the best. It certainly has the best OC of all time.
Timelords and Terror - Very good Doctor Who crossover
Mines of Dragon Mountain - another in the same vein by the same author: A Doctor Who ep in pony wrapping.
Progress - 25 chapters of Luna being adorable while getting used to modern Equestria and counting
My Little Avengers - Avengers crossover, includes tolerable Blueblood as Tony Stark. Also, the author is one of the fastest updaters I have ever seen.
Growing Pains - One of the better M6 adventure epics out there

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 16, 2011, 01:40:41 pm »

Alright, Crazy Cow, I've just read it and while I know even less about WH40k than you do, I thoroughly enjoyed it. No idea how accurate it is, but it's a very good story, even if it was self-contained. I can't compare it to Dsarker's because I firmly refuse to read that story. Sorry, Dsarker, but I really hate Grimdark.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:42:38 pm by MC Dirty »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 16, 2011, 02:18:05 pm »

Well, now I feel great, guys :p Glad you liked it.
Also:
FO:E Horizons Project is as godlike as FO:E. Read it.

BowlSoldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't **** with the Great Long Axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 16, 2011, 03:03:06 pm »

In fact, more so in a different way. It tends to pull less punches.
Campaigning for wheelchair rights for legless adventurers since 1995.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 16, 2011, 03:09:00 pm »

First off. Bolters are more correctly compared to recoilless automatic armour piercing rocket propelled grenade launchers. Secondly, you want Lexicanium instead of Codicier. Codiciers are the sergeants to the Lexicanium's privates.

Thirdly, if you are Ultramarines, you'll want their Tyrannic War veterans. Among these are those that penetrated an entire Tyranid bio fleet to destroy the Norn Queen, the progenitor of the entire fleet, and survived. Fourthly, if you're doing Ultramarines, what the hell is a Captain doing on the battlefield without his full company? You want either a sergeant (For a single squad) or a Force Commander (For multiple squads).

Fifthly, why the hell does Twilight even feel the slightest twinge of nervousness? Space Marines crave the hardest missions. They don't have fear. Sixthly, why is Twilight armed with a Bolt Pistol but no apparent force or close combat or power weapon?

Also, remember this. Space Marine squads don't get cannibalised. They get reinforced by reserve squads. That's the way of the Codex Astartes. Ultramarines would follow that more than most.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 153