Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 224573 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #1155 on: November 09, 2011, 09:48:38 pm »

Then why does Twilight run from the dragon that almost eats Spike?

She was there to rescue Spike, not kill the thing. Not in her nature to go looking for a fight.

So why wouldn't the ponies just try to flee the humans? Not in their nature to go looking for a fight.

Also, modern armies would laugh at an Ursa Major
before killing it brutally, let along a mere ursa minor.

Blind assertion. Justify it.
A little thing I like to call 'tactical air support'.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: November 09, 2011, 09:49:18 pm »

A modern army wouldn't have an issue with a living creature

But is it? The ursa was shown as a translucent starry thing. It did not appear to be entirely solid.

Even if it is, sure, tanks and artillery and fighter jets might be able to kill it, but as you say, having the thing drop from the sky on top of a few thousand soldiers...I would guess it would kill a lot of them before it died, and would do all sorts of nasty things to any kind of dug-in encampment.

For that matter, they wouldn't even have to drop in an Ursa. Simply drop in an equivalent weight of rock and earth on top of them.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 09, 2011, 09:50:11 pm »

Parents: What do you want for christmas?
me: A $100 custom pony plushie.
Parents: Ok.
me: ...what?

I'm commissioning an Applejack from the same guy who did this. I know him through the super mario world hacking community. Last I heard he was kinda swamped (someone hit him with 11 commissions at once!) so I don't know if I'll really get it before christmas xD

Still... so awesome. I need more pony merch; my shirts and poster don't quite cut it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 09, 2011, 09:51:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure that, while a modern army wouldn't take a giant translucent bear as some kind of joke, they'd probably just shoot it until it stopped moving anyway. Unless that didn't harm it in the slightest, I don't think an Ursa Minor, or even Major, would be a problem to a well-trained force.

If you had conscripts or other badly-trained soldiers, however, they'd have a much harder time because they'd likely be scared shitless.
If they were all veteran, they'd be good. Shaken, but alive. Any recruits would be heading for the hills.

The mongols might think it's some kind of god beast, and run from the giant night creature.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 09, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »

A modern army wouldn't have an issue with a living creature

But is it? The ursa was shown as a translucent starry thing. It did not appear to be entirely solid.

Even if it is, sure, tanks and artillery and fighter jets might be able to kill it, but as you say, having the thing drop from the sky on top of a few thousand soldiers...I would guess it would kill a lot of them before it died, and would do all sorts of nasty things to any kind of dug-in encampment.

My window is transparent. Doesn't appear to be at all solid.

Oh, wait.

The minor is translucent, the major isn't.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 09, 2011, 09:53:30 pm »

Anyway, another thing that would be more likely to scare them - the ponies would appear to have no bones.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 09, 2011, 09:55:01 pm »

Someone have to write this fic: A modern force of some kind arrive in Equestria, and starts massacring ponies. Twilight casts http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SummonEverymanHero ... and get Ghengis Khan, who now have to teach them the art of war in time to save them, while fighting prejudice from misinformed present day people.

Ask and ye shall receive.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 09, 2011, 09:56:06 pm »

It would depend a lot on a lot of factors.

Ponies would probably be rather kind to non-belligerents, even if they were obviously carrying weapons. They would have to be acting in hostility before the ponies would act, and the ponies would likely be quick to just retreat unless something valuable to them was being threatened. I'd imagine a few of the more stubborn ponies defending their homesteads.

Celestia would probably respond to a real threat to her subjects rather quickly and with devastating force. Twilight might be able to hurl Ursas, but Celestia could likely cause the earth to swallow up an army like a scripture from the Old Testament.
Nothing important here, move along.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 09, 2011, 09:57:37 pm »

That never happens in the old testament.

What happens is some people get unhappy with only having quail and mana, and they tell Moses to do something, and THEN the earth opens and swallows them up.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 09, 2011, 09:59:58 pm »

Then why does Twilight run from the dragon that almost eats Spike?

She isn't exactly self-aware. She probably has no real concept of just how insanely powerful she is. Besides, as far as she knows and we know, she's still mortal. Doesn't matter how much raw power you have when you could be killed by a hard tap to the wrong area.

Ninjedit: A modern army wouldn't have an issue with a living creature, but I'd imagine having a tree slam through a quarter of a company would probably put the rest of them on the ground long enough for Twi to rest up for a second swing, and by the time she had to do a third the soldiers would either be trying to crawl forward or with their hands held high, depending on how hardass they were.

The thing to keep in mind is that Twilight is vastly more powerful than normal unicorns, and that her talent specifically enhances her magical abilities. Goddesses or no, three ponies can't protect an entire country at the same time (unless it is Monaco), but a brigade or two can certainly devastate one, if whoever commands the attacking army is smart enough to send diversionary forces and skirmishers to distract the actual threats. And for some reason I doubt a tree would deter, say, a battalion of MBTs. For that matter, I don't think it would be very easy to protect an entire town from a MLRS bombardment with a magical shield. Or detect and target a hypersonic cruise missile before it hit. Or defend against multiple volleys from Metal Storm-armed vehicles.

Maybe if we were talking about a small unit with high-maint. equipment or really shitty equipment or tactics, or from an era where bronze swords were the cat's pajamas. Or all of North Korea.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 09, 2011, 10:02:35 pm »

Sorry for bad wording, I didn't mean to imply that the army was part of the scripture.

The issue with a military invasion of Equestria is whether they'd be able to get in any kind of support for ground soldiers. Honestly, unless Celestia literally started nuking her own territory with microsuns, there's no way in hell ponies could beat even a force equipped with IFVs.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 09, 2011, 10:04:40 pm »

Someone have to write this fic: A modern force of some kind arrive in Equestria, and starts massacring ponies. Twilight casts http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SummonEverymanHero ... and get Ghengis Khan, who now have to teach them the art of war in time to save them, while fighting prejudice from misinformed present day people.

Ask and ye shall receive.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ARGLEBLARGLETHEWORDIS "LOSING". Because seriously, few things bug me more than when I'm enjoying a fic and the author keeps confusing two words that really shouldn't be hard to keep seperate.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:44 pm »

No pony would have believed in the last years of the tenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than pony's and yet as mortal as their own; that as ponies busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinized and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a pony with a microscope might scrutinize the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 09, 2011, 10:18:59 pm »

there's no way in hell ponies could beat even a force equipped with IFVs.

I think it would largely depend on how smart they were. A clever person with a 100 unicorns of Twilight's ability could probably take out the combined military forces of modern earth given sufficient time.

One possible example:
Teleport chunks of earth out from beneath the ground to create a catacombed underground base spread out over an arbitrarily large distance. Even nuclear bunker bunkers are unlikely to penetrate a couple miles of ground, but unicorns would be able to remote-view and telekinetically dismantle bodies on the surface. Anypony able to lift 15 tons of weight have likely find tearing a head off a body to be effortless, and even if the human armies knew where the unicorns were it would be difficult for them to get at them.

But would peace-loving ponies think of such things? Probably not.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 09, 2011, 10:29:30 pm »

there's no way in hell ponies could beat even a force equipped with IFVs.

I think it would largely depend on how smart they were. A clever person with a 100 unicorns of Twilight's ability could probably take out the combined military forces of modern earth given sufficient time.

One possible example:
Teleport chunks of earth out from beneath the ground to create a catacombed underground base spread out over an arbitrarily large distance. Even nuclear bunker bunkers are unlikely to penetrate a couple miles of ground, but unicorns would be able to remote-view and telekinetically dismantle bodies on the surface. Anypony able to lift 15 tons of weight have likely find tearing a head off a body to be effortless, and even if the human armies knew where the unicorns were it would be difficult for them to get at them.

But would peace-loving ponies think of such things? Probably not.

Might as well say that with the capability of one hundred Americas, we could colonise space.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 153