Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I started a new fortress.  (Read 1838 times)

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I started a new fortress.
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:44:06 pm »

"Ooh, plenty of metal in this one! That's perfect for my fast military strategy! I'll go here!"

I go in, strike the earth like a pinata. Five levels down and guess what I've found:

Tetrahedrite
Gold
Galena
Cassiterite
Cobaltite
Malachite
Many, many, many assorted gems

Guess what's missing.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: So I started a new fortress.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:45:58 pm »

Ooh ooh!  I know!  I know!  It's microcline!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:47:01 pm »

Ooh ooh!  I know!  I know!  It's microcline!

If only.

Guess again.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:48:29 pm »

What are you missing?  I see bronze there.

Oooh, are you missing goblinite?

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:49:34 pm »

Let's see. Copper, tin, silver, gold, lead, gems...

What is the one metal that is utterly vital to starting an early military?

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 04:51:01 pm »

Coal? I don't know. I a noob.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 04:52:07 pm »

IRON.

THERE IS NOT A SINGLE SPECK OF THE STUFF TO BE FOUND. I have literally every material except the one I actually need.

EDIT: And the bastards just struck native silver.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:53:50 pm by Casp »

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 04:53:25 pm »

Bronze, dude.  Even copper will last you the first early sieges when goblins are utter shite and in small numbers.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 04:55:29 pm »

Bronze, dude.  Even copper will last you the first early sieges when goblins are utter shite and in small numbers.

Yeah, it really isn't that the situation is untenable as much as the insult of it. There is, quite literally, every material except Iron. And coal.

Keeshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 04:58:26 pm »

Well, atleast you found something! i say, gold swords for everyone!

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 05:02:04 pm »

you are either limited to goblinite and trade caravans, I say, find a way to not to lose so many dwarves or to use correctly every metal (like dense ones for blunt stuff... or something like that) in your militia, with the money you could earn from the metal though, you may get enough to sustain your military only with caravans, good luck, at least you are not at war with the hippies elves with only ores of nickel to be seen.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 05:27:32 pm »

No need for coal, just use magma + charcoal for steel, and order iron everything from the mountainhome. Iron toys, iron armor, everything. Melt it down, then you'll probably get a few bars. Melt all goblin stuff down too, and that should give you at least SOME iron.

And bronze is good enough for most vanilla enemies, minus megabeasts and some FBs.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 06:55:48 pm »

I started a new fortress too. After digging out the main dining rooms, a badger ate my hunter.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

BCPowers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 06:56:09 pm »

My most recent fort that rose and fell within 2 years didn't have any iron either, but the rise and fall is mostly do to my stupidity of not starting a military earlier or setting up some sort of defense. I may have not had any iron, but I did have adamantine and PLENTY. I was bathing in the stuff, however I had no military or defense to fend of the first siege and my fort fell.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 07:10:04 pm »

you are either limited to goblinite and trade caravans, I say, find a way to not to lose so many dwarves or to use correctly every metal (like dense ones for blunt stuff... or something like that) in your militia, with the money you could earn from the metal though, you may get enough to sustain your military only with caravans, good luck, at least you are not at war with the hippies elves with only ores of nickel to be seen.
In my case I started at war with the hippies elves, only to find that my Surface Metals consisted (at least on the surface) of ... zinc and galena.  ** sigh **

I started again, and now I've got small amounts of limonite, lignight and coal, and crap tons of tetrahedrite, and (iirc) sphalerite.  Oh, and chalk is a layer stone about three to five z-levels deep at the surface.  Of course, I've lost three dwarves to dehydration in the first winter, the broker prefered keeping the books (counting the four bins of craft goods, I guess), drinking and sleeping to trading for drink and other useful items, and my military might have time to train to novice with their weapons before the elves arrive (assuming I can make copper spears fast enough to arm them).  Such a nice embark and I had to screw some minor things up in the first spring/summer ... Good thing I have a decent defensive position set up.  This should definitely be !!fun!! :D

I started a new fortress too. After digging out the main dining rooms, a badger ate my hunter.
You mean your Hunted:D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: [1] 2