Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Who else misses the rapid updates?  (Read 5627 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Who else misses the rapid updates?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 01:13:51 am »

There is nothing good in rapid updates (I must download DF, update DT, remove aquifers, add FD, update init and d_init etc). But I love bugfixes!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 04:21:55 am »

Footkerchief's breakdown of the release history sums up everything that needs to be said, but I am definitely on the side of people saying feature creep is letting DF run away from Toady.  I remembered a comment like what Foot had made a while ago, so I looked it up.  I was a little surprised.  I can't quote the thread that it's from, so here it is-

Cardinal sin time.  Forgive me oh lords, for my chest need unburdening.

So four months is the new nebulous everyone-nods-in-agreement time frame?  The last update was September 6, 2008.  If this last stretch of squads, sites, and finalization takes more that three months and a week, that would make an entire year between releases.

This development arc includes descriptive paragraphs, a vastly improved material and body system and damage thereof, an overhauled and expanded stat and skill system, a restructuring of squads and governance, an industrial scale healthcare system, and a slew of new map features.  Each of those bullet points is awesome, but none of them are directly dependent on each others' implementation.  Each could have been released in turn.

Now, I'm not threatening to stop playing or anything.  I'm not going anywhere, and as soon I pay some bills I'll be donating again.  But I'm a die-hard fan.  An entire year between 'updates' is getting silly, because a lot of people are just going to stop paying attention or caring.  I say again, screw save compatibility or whatever the need for bundling so much work into distinct releases, and let us play with it.

That was me in June of 2009, when we were still after eight months, and would be still for another nine months, waiting for DF 0.31.  I can't say that I've ever been happy with it, but this is just how Toady operates.  Saying so hasn't changed him in the last two years, and I don't think it's going to now.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 06:27:43 am »

That was me in June of 2009, when we were still after eight months, and would be still for another nine months, waiting for DF 0.31.  I can't say that I've ever been happy with it, but this is just how Toady operates.  Saying so hasn't changed him in the last two years, and I don't think it's going to now.

Exactamundo. Ever since I came along DF, which was a few months after the newest 2d version was released, I've been pretty accepting of the pace-of-work our resident professor churns out this insanely deep game. It's not fair to ask more of the guy when he's OBVIOUSLY working at his hardest. You've got to cook the cake before you eat it.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 07:25:51 am »

If I could wait a for years for bethesda to release an elderscrolls game, I can wait for a release. Besides if I get bored with vanillia I'll just mod more.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 2 [3]