Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Who else misses the rapid updates?  (Read 5619 times)

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
Who else misses the rapid updates?
« on: October 21, 2011, 01:08:27 am »

As the title says, who else misses having updates every 2-3 days?
I for one am not liking the gap between 0.31.25 and 0.31.26... (Or maybe 0.32! :P )

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Who else misses the rapid updates?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:25:28 am »

Everyone likes a fast update, thing is, not everyone likes a buggy, incomplete update.

Besides, this still isn't as long as the other release wait we had for 2010. Or was it 40d...Can't remember.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:49:27 am »

Fast updates? Are you talking about the mass of bug-fix releases?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:31:24 am »

I like updates where new stuff is added just as much as ones where stuff is fixed.   You can't have both at a prolonged and rapid pace.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:06:46 am »

At first i was like you op. But then V.31 finally got released. It was worth the wait. And looking back it does not seem such a long time (brain does that sometimes: cuts out the boring parts and leaves the more interesting ones: future of the fortress threads, numerous dev blog posts, screenshots (mm tasty ascii) and endless dives into list of features to be implemented until V1.) One thing that i miss is browsing suggestion subforum. Now it seems like everything is either said (100 times or more) or Toady One has it already planed and poster did not look it up.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:35:43 am »

As the title says, who else misses having updates every 2-3 days?
I for one am not liking the gap between 0.31.25 and 0.31.26... (Or maybe 0.32! :P )
Not sure. I kind of like when there's enough time to play the game before you have to grab a new version again and hope it doesn't have some new bug that will screw you over.  :D

That said, I haven't really played the game for over two months now. Waiting for all the new and awesome stuff makes it harder and harder to play without them.  :(
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

gamerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:58:39 am »

You must be new here.   :-\

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:00:32 am »

That said, I haven't really played the game for over two months now. Waiting for all the new and awesome stuff makes it harder and harder to play without them.  :(

I know how you feel. When I think of all the cool stuff I -will- be able to do, all the stuff I -can- do now seems like small beans. We should learn to appreciate the awesome we have.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:13:44 am »

When was this imaginary time period when Dwarf Fortress had rapid updates as the norm?

Was it back in the 2d age? that would make sense.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:16:17 am by Neonivek »

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 09:32:52 am »

The only time with frequent releases is right after a new major release... that's because they're usually so full of bugs that updates are needed to actually make it playable. New features like the reworked undead or interesting random towns need time to be coded... You want big new features? You wait. Simple as that. I rather play the current version for a few more months than update to a half-assed new version without many new features every week.

Sure I'd love to have something new every few days or weeks, but that's just not possible with the way Toady works. The current update is a big one, comparable to the change v28..40d to v31.1, which took over a year to be finished (and another few months to be reasonably free of major bugs)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 09:57:58 am »

I like updates where new stuff is added just as much as ones where stuff is fixed.   You can't have both at a prolonged and rapid pace.

As a gamist, I'd say that I'm much more interested in having more problems fixed rather than having new features (a.k.a. problems) added.
But I'm not sure how this looks from Toady's perspective. It is certainly much more interesting to be adding new features than squashing bugs, making a proper interface and so on. But in the specific case of Dwarf Fortress, I wonder if it doesn't actually make more sense to program all the features first and fix problems/interfaces later.
<3

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:43:13 pm »

I'd say that I'm much more interested in having more problems fixed rather than having new features (a.k.a. problems) added.
Ditto this, but I'm sure that's just me getting impatient with a few of the more common bugs that keep showing up in my forts. Clothing, whips, kobolds, elven diplomats, hunter/miner/woodcutter uniforms, cleaning infected blood, etc, etc.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:53:11 pm »

I think this is an oversimplification.  If Toady had stuck to the stated goals ("Better town maps"), this release wouldn't have been rapid, but it would still have been out months ago.  Players could have been enjoying/bugtesting the new cities while Toady worked on the new night creatures, but feature creep happened, and now we can't have feature A until tangentially related feature B is done.

Just like that, we've got a 10-month release cycle -- the transition from 2D to 3D was only 9 months!  And this is coming from someone who's super excited about the new night creatures -- it all sounds great, but I don't understand why he's trying to pack it all into one release.

Is it because Toady prefers to work on many features at once?  I don't think so, because the dev log makes it sound like he's working through one new feature at a time.  Is it because the release checklist is a pain in the ass?  I could understand if that pushed the schedule toward every 1 or 2 months, but not nigh-yearly.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 04:06:28 pm »

I think this is an oversimplification.  If Toady had stuck to the stated goals ("Better town maps"), this release wouldn't have been rapid, but it would still have been out months ago.  Players could have been enjoying/bugtesting the new cities while Toady worked on the new night creatures, but feature creep happened, and now we can't have feature A until tangentially related feature B is done.

Just like that, we've got a 10-month release cycle -- the transition from 2D to 3D was only 9 months!  And this is coming from someone who's super excited about the new night creatures -- it all sounds great, but I don't understand why he's trying to pack it all into one release.

Is it because Toady prefers to work on many features at once?  I don't think so, because the dev log makes it sound like he's working through one new feature at a time.  Is it because the release checklist is a pain in the ass?  I could understand if that pushed the schedule toward every 1 or 2 months, but not nigh-yearly.

You said everything I have wanted to say. As a long time player and fan of his work, I find that Toady is hurting his project with his lack of self-control and frequent feature creeps.

And as you pointed out (2d to 3d in 9 months - at the time it looked like it took forever - didn't he still had a normal job at the time?) Toady doesn't look as prolific as before. We are without dev updates for 6 days now, and I bet the next he is just commenting on how he finished the mummy notes and is going to start the vampire notes.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:10:07 pm by thvaz »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 04:13:04 pm »

You said everything I have wanted to say. As a long time player and fan of his work, I find that Toady is hurting his project with his lack of self-control and frequent feature creeps.

And as you pointed out (2d to 3d in 9 months - at the time it looked like it took forever - didn't he still had a normal job at the time?) Toady doesn't look as prolific as before. We are without dev updates for 6 days now, and I bet the next he is just commenting on how he finished the mummy notes and is going to start the vampire notes.

Well, what he is doing now is really just bugfixing, which is so that when you get your new version, you can play it without waiting for the next patch to fix world gen crashing in year two, then so it saves without crashing, then so that you don't get traded with by necromancers, then so that undead don't join other civs, etc.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: [1] 2 3