Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Spearfalls: A Tale Of Two Maps(Succession)  (Read 8759 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearfalls: A Tale Of Two Maps(Succession)
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2011, 06:20:24 am »

looking good, keep it up!  :D
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »

Great job so far! Also, I can confirm from my save, that after I runesmithed Inod back to normal, that he survived long enough to be fully treated and is now alive and well!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2011, 05:43:17 am »

Glad to hear that an alternate-history version of Inod is living a full and healthy life! :P

Anyway, I think the next entry after this one will be the final one before I hand things over. It's been fun, though. ^.^

---------------------------------------------------------

Guildmaster's Log, 19th Hematite. According to one of the latest migrants, at least.

I have a bed now. We all do--at least, all of us apart from the huge wave of migrants who showed up a few days ago do. And after I went to the effort of making sure I was the last one to get a bed, too. Seems a bit silly, now, and it's not like anyone actually appreciates the effort, but that's all right. Anyway, we have 21 new souls, most of them without rooms, but that's why I designed the Hive to be expandable. We'll just have to dig down another level, is all.

But I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself. A lot has happened over the last five or six months, since Autumn turned to Winter turned to Spring, and now we're turning again to Summer. Before too long, it'll have been a year since I arrived in this place, and it's changed quite a bit. Mostly for the better, I like to think--although, the moment I allow myself to think that we're ahead of the wave, tragedy strikes yet again. I suppose that's the price you pay for the freedom of independence, such as it is. You ask me, it's not worth it, but this last year would make anybody bitter.

Back on point: once Autumn was in full swing, the harpies seemed to leave us alone--they managed to get into the fortress proper on their last raid, but the militia cleaned them up quickly enough. The werewolves have been gone, too, which I wouldn't have expected. Naturally, they were replaced by something just as bad or worse--ogres. I feel like a damned fool for letting that turn into the near-disaster that it did; the fishers tried to warn me about them, but they were up on the ridge where they couldn't reach us and we couldn't reach them, so I thought we were safe. By the time I thought about the river freezing, they were damn near at the gates--but, again, the Corridors of Depth took care of them.

I still don't trust them, despite what we owe them. We'd have corpses stacked waste-high in the halls were it not for them, but wherever they got their power from, it wasn't from simple training. Call me old-fashioned if you will, but I don't trust sorcery, helpful or no; it has a habit of biting the hand that wields it. I've had a barracks built for them near the trading post; there was some grumbling about keeping them so far from the rest of the fortress and populace, but the constant attacks from the surface make it a prudent choice, so no serious arguments were raised.

It's an interim solution at best. I eventually plan to break up the squad and stick each of them in separate groups, to keep them from colluding with one another, but at the moment we don't have the resources or dwarfpower to support a larger military. And what's worse, one of them--Aban--has recently been elected mayor, so if I want to dissolve this troublesome group I need to do so carefully. In the meantime, segregating them on the surface is the best solution I have; if I can't control them, I can at least keep them away from everybody else. And it really is better, in the long run, if they're the first ones to spot danger.

But enough about them. Other things have been happening too, after all. For one, we finally managed to have a dwarf live through a Mood rather than going mad--two of them, in fact. (Eral, I suppose I should note, finally ran himself to death soon after my last writing, Moldath rest his soul.)

The first fortunate one was Anders. It was a close call with her; she kept ranting about needing a forge, but we didn't have one, and I couldn't find anybody else who knew the first thing about making them. Fortunately for her, my father was an armorsmith, so I knew my way around an anvil--although I forgot how heavy the damned things were. If anybody ever asks me to carry one down a flight of stairs by myself again, I'm hitting them with it. After I finished building a workspace for her, she made a mace out of some of the iron I'd bought from the humans a few months back. It's nothing flashy, but I like that; it's a weapon of War, not a work of art. No magic, no decorations, just pure killing force. If we can find a soldier who's not so obsessed with axes I think they'll find plenty of use for it.

Spoiler: Gembish Kastol (click to show/hide)

Our second blessed crafstdwarf was Etur, who made a very impressive statue of a Troll, an Ettin and some nightmarish creature that I don't recognize. Anders's mace is depicted on the base--a prediction of future glories, perhaps? At any rate, I think it makes a fine centerpiece for the dining hall, which is finally completed.

Spoiler: Quillfin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dining Hall (click to show/hide)

That last success came at a high price, though. Othello, Raphello's brother, died in the sewers when somebody decided to wall him in and not tell anyone about it. I don't know if becoming a ghost is a tradition in their family, but by the time I'd learned of his death he'd already been found and buried; he will be sorely missed. Two others were also gravely injured while digging out the well and waterfall. One of them from, as near as I can tell, mined out the ground beneath his feet after finding himself trapped, while the other was careless and fell down the well. They are currently resting in our newly-built hospital near the dining hall, as the first two patients.

In slightly brighter news, we've had a few births recently. Two of our women and one of the bears, all on the same day, shortly after the wells were built; if I didn't know any better, I'd say the water was laced with some sort of fertility drug.

I was very pleased when I learned that one of the women who'd given birth was Anders. The forger of Gembish Kastol is good stock to come from, in my book. But something troubles me: the boy's father was Inod, the late leader of that band of sorcerous mercenaries we call our militia. I don't wish to speak ill of the dead, but suffice to say that I hope Stodir Asenirtir follows his mother's path. Still, he's better in our hands than that of the Goblin thieves who showed up shortly after his birth; it's fortunate that they were caught before they found him, or any of our young ones.

And with that cold thought, I think it's time for this entry to end. As usual, I have many things to do--no fewer than 21, at the very least. Hopefully by the time spring comes 'round again, this place will be able to survive without any more input on my part and I can go back to making cheeses.

-----------------------
Sorry, Dalex! Othello got caught in a very large area which unfortunately was cut off from the rest of the fortress. I've fixed it since then, but by the time I saw "hunting vermin for food" on the status screen it was too late. T.T

Do you desire a re-dorfing?

Also, the dining room is Royal at this point, mostly thanks to Quillfin and several other statues, and is giving our dorfs that "Legendary Dining Room" thought, so, awesome. I've set up a waterfall that they have to walk through before getting to the wells, which should hopefully reduce the possibility of them contaminating the well with nasty FB extract or something once we get to that point. They're both fed by the aquifer one level above, and can be shut off by the lever right next to them. They lead down a few levels to that place where The Master was mining out along the walls, where they drain off the map.

And, final note: Stodir Asenirtir is the only son of a dead Royal Guard member and a weaponsmith who forged a legendary mace. If the fortress lasts twelve years, he really needs to be drafted into the military.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:55:57 am by Time Blossom »
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

Dalex

• Bay Watcher
  • And thats how Fun was made!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2011, 01:03:23 pm »

I could tend to the Redorfing myself, as not to disturb you...

In the map I am currently playing, most of my honey badgers where killed by zombie sturgeon and my most militarily skilled dwarf is very unhappy...

doesn't help its a succession game...

Your turn seems like it was fun though ;P Excited to play.
"But Sir, Urist's kidneys are falling out of his HEAD, and your telling me he doesn't need surgery?"

"Give him a Crutch!"

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2011, 08:00:01 am »

Guildmaster's Log, 1st Granite, in the year of our lord 464.

Spring has come at last to Spearfalls.

I can't count the ways in which this last year and a half have worn on me. I've not practiced my craft since I set foot in this place; I've been so caught up in the day-to-day management of things that I've hardly had time to breathe, let alone make friends. Our numbers have swollen to 91 now, according to the latest census, but I barely know any of them.

Still, perhaps that's easier. It's due in no small part to my under-the-table management of the place that we have so many--but she who shoulders the pride must shoulder the blame, as well. If I'd kept a closer eye on things, listened a little more, double- and triple-checked for danger as I should have... well, suffice to say that it's my fault we have so few.

In truth, I don't really want to speak about what's happened since my last entry, but I suppose it's my job. Somebody has to speak for the history of this place, and I know it better than anyone. Even if I'd rather not.

Shortly after my last entry, Nil Idoslan was possessed, and demanded the construction of a clothier's workshop. I suppose Othello wanted to have one last word with us before he passed beyond the veil.

Spoiler: Singnation (click to show/hide)

I understand that Kubuk was a distant relationship of Othello's, and that the satyrs and strawberries were some sort of personal metaphor. I confess I still don't understand the latter, and likely never will--but Quillfin, on the other hand, is less of a mystery. Etur and I didn't really know what to make of her statue being included at first; she didn't even know Othello. We thought that there might have been some unrequited affection, until one of the other miners overheard us talking and told us that Othello had been the one to mine out the boulder it had been carved from. Then it all fell into place. I suppose he felt some sense of pride at having been involved in the creation of the statue, which has in a way become a symbol of Spearfalls' ascent from the darkness.

It's a cold comfort, considering his death was still entirely my fault--but it's a comfort nonetheless, knowing that he goes to meet Moldath with pride. He did his lineage honor, and will be sorely missed.

But I'm sorry to say that his was not the last death to occur on my watch. There has been one other since then, and it was equally as preventable. Zon, our furnace operator, was taken by a mood back in Timber, and claimed one of the bone-carving workshops--and, I must confess, my pride was such that I quite forgot about him. Such things had become commonplace by then, and I didn't feel the need to micromanage--I was much more concerned with digging ever deeper into the caverns. I had hopes of finding... in truth, I don't know what. But whatever lies in the depths, it's not worth losing lives over, and that's precisely what happened. Zon was sitting in his workshop screaming for bones for nearly two months while I was overseeing the plunge into the depths, and nobody heeded him. Least of all me.

By the time the miners told me they had struck some mysterious red stone and could dig no deeper, Zon had given in to rage and insanity. We'd have even more full coffins by now, but thankfully Aban had taken it onto himself to hold a deathwatch in my absence; he struck Zon down before he could hurt anyone else. He didn't ask for any thanks, and I didn't ask for any forgiveness. I think we both knew that we didn't deserve either.

Aban... I think I understand that man a little better now. He's a member of Inod's militia--our militia, I have to keep reminding myself--and if you'd have asked me a year ago what I thought of him, I'd have told you that I didn't trust him. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said as much in my last entry. But now... I just don't know anymore.

I suppose I should note that, prior to the incident with Zon, Aban proved himself in another way. The passageway into the caverns had become infested with Troglodytes, and I'd ordered the military down to clean them out. No sooner was our perimeter abandoned, however, then somebody rushed down to let me know that they'd spotted a few goblins out front. Once again, my pride took hold; I turned to Aban and told him "You're the mayor; you go deal with it."

And so he did. After I'd finished overseeing the systematic slaughter of the troglodytes who were impeding my mining operation, the militia and I returned to the surface--to find Aban standing in a blood-soaked field, nearly a dozen dead goblins at his feet, and not a scratch on him. There were a few of the raiders still remaining, and the rest of the military mopped them up as quickly as you'd expect--but I'll never forget the sight of Aban, knee-deep in corpses, dripping blood.

He never said a word. When the last goblin was dead, ten of them by his hands alone, he never said a word. Not to me, not to anyone. He just went back to the barracks that I'd put him in, that dirt-floored hovel far away from the warmth of Spearfalls, and started training again.

Spoiler: The kills of Aban (click to show/hide)

I've backed off of the squad since then. I still haven't found enough dwarves to split them up, and truth be told, I don't know if I'd want to now. Aban wouldn't grumble about it; none of them would. And push come to shove, any one of them is as good as an army, so it wouldn't weaken us to do so. But in truth, they're so far beyond my ken that I just want to leave well enough alone.

The latter, I should note, has been amply supported by two more campaigns of theirs. Not long after the goblin raid, a couple more troglodytes were caught in the traps I'd had set up down in the caverns--and when somebody went down to retrieve them, they were met with the sight of a monstrous beast, the likes of which I've never heard of. According to the description I received, it was four-legged, made entirely of glittering gems, and belching noxious gas. According to the dwarf who'd described the event to me, the creature had muscled past him and into the main stairwell as soon as he'd opened the door to the cages; it was as if it had been waiting. Luckily, he wasn't harmed, and the military made short work of it before it made its way into the fortress proper, but I understand that some of them inhaled the creature's vapors. Time will tell what effect that will have.

Spoiler: Rushan (click to show/hide)

And finally, not one month ago, a Cyclops made is way to our gates. Once more, the militia triumphed, but the fact that we're attracting such attention in the first place worries me. What's going to happen when something worse arrives? We've been lucky so far, but if half the militia dies thanks to that Armok-damned beast from the caverns we could be wiped out in an instant.

And finally, there were the food shortages over Autumn. I nearly strangled the dwarf who'd told me that we'd run out of food. How does that even happen? We have six farm plots growing every underground crop we possibly can, and fisherdwarves fishing around the clock. But apparently these idiots need to be told that, yes, it's okay to actually prepare and cook the fish instead of letting it freeze or rot in barrels out on the pier. We dealt with it, but for a moment--just for a moment--I wanted to let them all starve, just to end this bloody nightmare.

I just... I don't know what's right or wrong anymore. I thought this place would be better with me at the helm, but I'm not cut out for this. All the death, the blood, the greed and turmoil--it's not what I signed up for. Two years ago, I was making cheese in the mountain homes, happy as you please, and now I'm staring at a graveyard full of people that I put there. And what was it all for? What the hell was it all for?

I don't know. And to tell you the truth, I just don't care anymore. I can't afford to, not if I'm going to keep whatever scraps of sanity I have left. I have no official position to retire, but as of today I'm leaving the running of this place in the hands of the Nobles, or whoever else wants to step into my shoes.

Spring has come at last to Spearfalls. And not a second too soon.

Spoiler: At the end of the day (click to show/hide)

-------------------------------------------

And that's the gist of it, folks; nothing major accomplished, I suppose, but the fortress is stable, happy and pretty much self-sustaining. Things that I meant to do but never got around to include planting some surface crops--we have the seeds for it, but not the real estate--and getting some other industries going, mainly Potash-making and Cheese-making. Mostly, I just didn't want to screw around with lye, since for me that's historically ended with useless buckets full of lye and water that nobody will touch. I'm also not super-fond of the layout of the fort, in some ways, but when you're dealing with an aquifer I guess there's only so much that you can do.

As you may have gathered, I've tunneled down pretty close to the bottom of the map. I think the lowest staircase is five or six levels from the bottom and sitting on semi-molten rock. Still haven't found magma or adamantine, although judging by the warm walls the former is close by. Also, somehow managed to bypass the entire third cavern layer.

Hmm... I think that's most of the stuff worth noting. It's been fun, guys! Not too bad for my first swing at a succession fort. I don't think I ever want to play with such an invincible military right off the bat, though. I mean, really, one wrestler took out two goblin ambush squads, and the fights with the forgotten beast and the cyclops were total yawn-fests. It's just not !!FUN!!, as they say around these parts.

Anyway, here's the save. Good luck and have fun, Dalex!
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2011, 01:33:59 pm »

Oh, forgot to mention, I usually just use 2 cavern layers since I like shallow worlds. OP undated in a minute
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2011, 12:28:41 am »

Ummm....echo? Echo! Hello? At least let us know you haven't been devoured by rabid weasels!

TRodS

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2011, 01:46:41 am »

I wouldn't mind being dorfed as a trader named Araukaduin

Dalex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2011, 03:28:17 pm »

((I'm not dead, I was just a bit tired... Life happened, and I was busy with a fortress that just ended brutally savaged by zombie elk, Dling save now.))
"But Sir, Urist's kidneys are falling out of his HEAD, and your telling me he doesn't need surgery?"

"Give him a Crutch!"

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2011, 03:29:50 pm »

a zombie...elk...How the mighty have fallen...
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2011, 03:12:11 am »

ok dalex, this is your second and final warning. I said I'm not too particular on how long turns take, but when people go a couple days without a word at all, I get rather peeved. If you're gonna play, play, or at least say SOMETHING!  You have 2 more days to respond to this or you're skipped >:(

Dalex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2011, 08:21:51 pm »

((Ok.. I must apologize, today was a very busy week at school as we had a ton of tests and the like. I hadn't much time to play DF and the like, much less post it. So, I should have an update up today or tomorrow at the latest.

"Give him a Crutch!"

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:56 pm »

thats fine, as long as you get it done!  :)

Dalex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2011, 03:05:05 pm »

Well, I don't know. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the save in, as on my computer the feature files don't want to copy over. Any advice?

"Give him a Crutch!"

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2011, 03:20:18 pm »

look up a program called 7zip. install it then try using that to extract it.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8