Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Spearfalls: A Tale Of Two Maps(Succession)  (Read 8758 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearfalls: A Tale Of Two Maps(Succession)
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2011, 09:58:11 pm »

I'm not too particular about length of turns, as long as you don't go a week without at least mentioning that real life is kidnapping you...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2011, 03:21:45 pm »

GRAH! I can't do two different forts at once! I'm going to have to post the save early! Don't worry though, I think I did I good job getting it set up!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5102
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:34:06 pm by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2011, 05:56:18 pm »

Ok then, with master throwing in the towel, Time blossom, do you want to play two years(until Granite after next)?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »

Oh my goodness, the pressure, oh my goodness.

...Sure. :P

Downloading now! I'll try and get an update tonight, but I might get a little obsessive and take too long on it. At any rate, I'll have one up within a day or two!

Anything in particular that I should be working on? A year and a half (or however long) is probably enough time for a silly megaproject, push come to shove. Although I suppose that should maybe be later in the life cycle...
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2011, 08:51:37 pm »

Whatever you feel like doing. Remember, this is your turn, you can do whatever you like(as long as you don't intentionally destroy the fort...). Though, may I note that we need to get basics done before megaprojects...

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2011, 10:24:45 pm »

Oy, talk about needing the basics... Yeah, any megaprojects will have to wait for another year. Got my work cut out for me here, guys. :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guildmaster Hamlet was, to say the least, fed up. She knew that people in her profession didn't get any respect on the outskirts (or in the Mountain homes... or pretty much anywhere, really), but she'd been at Spearfalls for over a month now and these people still couldn't get her name right.

Not that she was really surprised, considering the management. Their much-admired "Earth Priest" Tryrar had lead them straight to an aquifer, and the other co-founder--Raphael? Something like that--had died and was now possessing Tryrar. Hamlet wanted to give him a proper burial, but apparently it was in his will that he didn't want one, and priests apparently took last wishes like that very seriously.

Oh, and if that Royal Guard member had gotten as skilled as he was without some twisted sorcery being involved, Hamlet was the Queen of Denmark... wherever the heck Denmark was.

"How is this guy still alive?" Hamlet had asked some random hauler.
"That's kind of a rude question..." was the best answer she'd gotten.

Not to mention the fact that this place had been operational--for a given definition of the word--for over a year now, and they still didn't have any tables or chairs. And that wasn't even the half of it. For Moldath's sake, they were still sleeping in a cramped hallway next to the workshops.

"Terrible. Just terrible."

Ten beds for forty-five dwarves, all squished together with nowhere to sit down and eat, the meeting hall was a tiny room up above ground where the harpies were hanging out, the hospital consisted of a single bed next to the trade depot where they were screwing with the elven traders... The place was a mess.

And to top it all off? The one decent lye maker they had, and by extension the one decent chance that Hamlet had to get the only respectable dwarven food industry up and running, was possessed, with the ghost rambling on about some fancy bauble that it wanted to make. And since the upper management had been killing all the traders and they didn't have a butcher, Kosoth's simple enough request for some silk and bones was completely impossible. So, he'd been walled up in his workshop, and judging by the bloodcurdling screams coming from behind the wall he'd finally snapped.

"...Yep. Time for a coup."

---------------------------------------------
Up next: The brief and disappointing return of the harpies, Making some bedrooms, and a Dining Hall.

Also, I think I should probably make the images smaller next time; I'd put them in spoiler-tags, but I know that cuts off the right side, so yeah. Sorry about that!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:59 pm »

you made me laugh, the way you mentioned my...creativity.

To begin, the "bed rooms" ARE the hospital; we didn't have any way of getting bones, and I was lazy about building the thing(I forget what it's called) that you use to weave thread, so rather than risk a tantrum spiral, I walled off the poor bastard; lastly, I entered too high of a value for strength on Inod, causing the number to be reset to zero, apparently, hence his deadly injuries. the only reason he's not dead...I runesmithed a few recruits to be grand masters.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2011, 10:53:42 pm »

Ah; I must've missed that second hospital zone, then. I just saw the one out front across the bridge, didn't expect there to be another one. Anyway, I've designated 54 rooms dug out, as well as a pretty big dining hall. I'm trying a couple of design ideas which I've been meaning to give a try, so we'll see how well they work out.

I tried to butcher that donkey we had floating around to get some bones, but it was too little, too late. 'Specially with the lack of a loom, although since we haven't broken into the cavern layer yet I don't think that would've mattered; we already had wool and plant cloth, so he probably wanted silk.

Anyway, we still need more wood for beds, and I've got our mason's shop grinding away some chairs and tables; I should probably build a second shop for cabinets and other niceties, come to think of it. But that'll all be for a future update; got some homework and such, so I think I'm done for the evening.

*Random aside: wonders if bears are milkable...*
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:56:48 pm by Time Blossom »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:35 pm »

Quote from: The Master
lastly, I entered too high of a value for strength on Inod, causing the number to be reset to zero, apparently, hence his deadly injuries

And that's why I don't mess around with Runesmith, though I'll allow usage of it to fix Inod's messed up values

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2011, 02:49:19 am »

I don't know anything about Runesmith, so I'll probably leave that for someone else to deal with. Having our most skilled fighter be the guy with a bad hip and asthma is kind of hilarious, anyway. Reminds me of Cohen the Barbarian, if somewhat less awesome.

Anyway, had to savescum because this happened.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, there'll be a real/better update with screenshots and such... probably tomorrow, once I figure out and implement a new battle-plan. Things were going so well, too... Aquifers are a pain in the ass. :[
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guildmaster's Log

Rophello has left Tryrar's body to go haunt the fortress and pester people for a while. Seeing as how the rest of the bureaucracy's only meetings involve griping at each other about not having any offices to meet in, beds to sleep in or tables to eat at instead of, ya know, actually doing something about all that, I've taken charge of things in an unofficial capacity. I hold no rank, except for my title of Guildmaster--which is, in both a practical and social sense, currently meaningless--but people seem to like my ideas.

More than that, they actually listen to my ideas, which is why we're well on the way to having proper bedrooms for everyone. We would also be well on the way to having a decent dining hall, except that Tryrar--once he was out from under Rophello's sway--insisted that area I wanted to use for it is unsafe. More groundwater, apparently--does it ever end?

What else... Ah, yes, the harpies returned. They come from the sky, and always in pairs. Don't ask me why, but it's a blessing; in such small numbers, anybody working outside manages to spot them and get away before they can do any real harm, and our sorcerous army of neophytes takes care of them easily enough once they touch down. Stationing archers and/or properly roofing over the work areas is on my list, but it's a low priority at the moment. We have more important things to deal with first, like the fact that we still don't have enough beds for everyone and the only axes we have are considered military equipment. Which wouldn't be so bad, except that the two soldiers we have who actually know anything about woodcutting are in foul moods and refuse to work because the living conditions are so poor. Paradoxical, isn't it?

Ghosts, monsters, madmen and a priest who talks to rocks. No wonder the Nobles go mad; compared to some of the things I've seen us get into, the Elves actually seem sane by comparison. Which, incidentally, is one order that I've heard some grumbling about; this kill-traders-on-site nonsense is going to stop, for as long as I can keep it stopped. There's no sense closing off trade routes just to satisfy some mad sense of Dwarven pride, especially considering how few in number we are. At the moment, if we started a war, it wouldn't go well for us, and personally, I'd rather things go well for us.

And speaking of wells, that is actually high on my priority list, so I should attend to it.

So much to do, and so little time...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2011, 04:27:26 am »

Well, I did warn you to be careful when digging above the storage level  ;D

My advice? Move everything towards the bottom of the map, that way you won't have to worry about the aquifer. If you need a well, prepare it from below, and seal off the victim Volenteer before he breaches(and remember that the aquifer will leak into the Z level directly below it!)

Oh, and on second thought, yeah leave Inod's values as they are. It is pretty funny actually

Edit: On second look at the pic you threw up, It appears that you encountered water AT the storage level if I'm not mistaken. Huh, could have sworn I went down far enough....

Edit 2: Upon firing up my copy of the save, I see what happened; you ran into the fact aquifers produce water to the left, right, north, south, and down. there's a small block of conglomerate aquifer just above where you dug.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:35:24 am by tryrar »

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2011, 04:57:04 am »

Ah! So that's what it was; yeah, I didn't know that digging underneath an aquifer was enough to set it off. I figured I'd mined into it on the same level I was mining in.

And, I have/had a plan for digging a well and draining the infinite water off the edge of the map; the save already some smoothed-at-the-edge stone a few levels down, so I'm assuming one of you had a similar idea, or at least were taking prudent safety measures. ^.^

Anyway, once I move the dining room north a bit, I shouldn't have to worry about mining into the aquifer, and knowing where it is should in theory make things a little easier to set up. But, it's like three in the morning and I should really be in bed already. Me and my stupid afternoon naps. -.-;

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2011, 06:00:25 am »

*Sigh*

I have screenshots and things to report on up until about the end of Autumn, which I got through in one sitting, but when I was saving to call it a night DF crashed on me. I don't know whether the save actually made it through or not, and I think that if I check and see and find that it didn't I'll want to give up on the whole thing.  :-[

So, I'm giving it a rest until tomorrow, and in the meantime I don't want go to the effort to write what may be a "here's what didn't actually happen" journal entry.

If you want some highlights, though:

Our top engraver got a mood, and wanted silk. I broke down into the first cavern level to get some webs, built a loom, but no dice. I don't know why, but it seems like I can never get non-miner civilians to go down into the caverns willingly; maybe it's just a pathing thing, I don't know. It'd be nice if the caravans actually brought silk. Anyway, yeah, the engraver went bonkers and has been running around the fort naked.

Harpies went away for a while, to be replaced by giant badgers and werewolves. The former, thankfully, didn't venture too closely to the gate, but the latter got a little too close for comfort. So, one of our wrestlers got to punch a werewolf to death. Fun times.

Alas, poor Inod; I knew him, Horatio. While on the way to kill the second werewolf, he succumbed to his infection (I didn't even realize he had one; setting up a better hospital is definitely a priority) and keeled over on the mountainside. I built coffins for him and all our other honored dead. Plus one more, since Rophello keeps claiming one for a personal tomb, the jerk. :P

I got all the bedrooms dug out again, but am still struggling to get our woodcutters to do their damn job, so actually making the rooms functional is slow-going. On the plus side, the I got the dining room dug out and half-furnished with no aquifer trouble, and added a few offices nearby for our pesky noble population.

Last thing that happened is another wave of migrants came. I don't know how good a batch it was, since that was where I decided to cut things off.

Anyway, yeah, those are the major cliffnotes. Hopefully it'll all still be relevant tomorrow; if not, I'm going to give it one more try, but if I end up losing a couple hours worth of stuff again I think I'm just going to pass it along. :\

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2011, 07:19:40 am »

...so from what I gather, DF hates you at the moment.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2011, 02:29:13 am »

Indeed! But I think that if you don't have an abusive relationship with Dwarf Fortress, you're doing something wrong. Probably.

In other news: despite the game crashing, the save actually went through! I'm carrying on, but in the meantime here's an IC version of what's been going on...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guildmaster's Log

It's hard to keep track of the date nowadays. It's my fault, really; I'm the one who wanted us to move underground instead of staying near the surface, where the damnable harpies keep haranguing us. Not to mention the werewolves, though they are few in number and fall to our militia easily enough--or the giant badgers, who thankfully we've only seen from a distance so far. I've heard the stories; I'd rather deal with harpies and werewolves any day, mark my words.

On the subject of our militia, Inod the Mighty has fallen. Frankly, I wasn't all that surprised--despite his remarkable skill, a stiff breeze could knock that man over, and he was barely holding together as it was. It does bring into focus a very serious problem, as his death was easily preventable--rather than falling prey to one of the enemies that plagues us from the surface, he keeled over on the mountainside, giving in to an infection. If only we'd had a proper hospital, he might still be alive--and I've heard the arguments that we already have a proper hospital, but considering that said hospital is the same ten cramped beds that we've all been sleeping in, you'll forgive my skepticism. The saddest part is that, despite the setbacks, the hive is dug out and construction on beds for everyone is slow--we've had to resort to buying wood from caravans while the axedwarves are for all intents and purposes on strike--but steady. If he could have hung on for just a while longer, he might've gotten treatment.

Spoiler: The Hive (click to show/hide)

This situation is sadly typical of Spearfalls at the moment, I'm afraid; no sooner is one problem solved, or at least delayed, than another one crops up. I'd set Eral, our best engraver, to prettying up the rooms a little bit, and would have set him on the dining hall next--but before Kosoth's rampage had even run its course, Eral had claimed a workshop for himself and started babbling on about needing silk, the same as Kosoth had.

It was about then that Morul, our resident Spinner, informed me that silk could be found deep underground. I nearly cuffed him for waiting this long to inform me, and for playing me for a fool, but then he explained that we wouldn't be mining for silk, but that there were vicious spiders that lived in massive caverns underground, and that we could collect their webs like we did from those on the surface. I guess I should have listened to more horror stories before coming this far out on the frontier.

Work was at a stopping point on the grand dining hall by then, at least as far as the miners were concerned, so I ordered them to dig down until they'd breached a cavern for us. Vicious spiders and other cave creatures or no, I wasn't going to have another dwarf going insane on my watch. Or so I thought.

Spoiler: The Cavern (click to show/hide)

Webs we found indeed, but nobody would collect them until the area was safe. By the time I sorted through what they were talking about, figured out that the cavern was concealing one of those monstrous, hairy creatures that the goblins keep, got the military to deal with it and finally started collecting material for silk, Eral was quite lost to us. He's been running around the fort naked for days now. Moldoth willing, we'll have silk enough for the next time this happens, but the cost is that we now have enemies below us as well as above.

Spoiler: Babbling (click to show/hide)

One more mad dwarf, and in the meanwhile Kosoth has died. Stone that would have been used for tables and chairs is being devoted to coffins, and I fear that this is not the last time such a decision will need to be made. Our situation is slowly improving, but every brick on that road is mortared with dwarf blood.

I grow bitter with the management of this place, I'm afraid. I long for the days when my only responsibility was ensuring a steady supply of cheese in the grand halls of the mountain home. But now? My next duty is to greet the fresh group of migrants that just arrived and are waiting in the new dining hall.

I expect my speech will be a simple one: Welcome to Spearfalls. You're damned.

--------------------

Up next: yet another Mood, and hopefully a finished dining room. I'm probably just going to speed through the next year unless something particularly interesting happens. Been a long enough turn already.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8