Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Spearfalls: A Tale Of Two Maps(Succession)  (Read 8764 times)

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
Re: Spearfalls: A Tale Of Two Maps(Succession)
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:50:50 pm »

The Master didn't specifically say "in," but he did post before I did, so I don't mind going third if he's super keen and raring to go.

Also: yay, aquifer. I've never had to deal with one of those before. :P
And double-yay at the game getting started! That dual-fortress idea was tempting; maybe for another game.

Also also: I'll take the first Cheesemaker that shows up; name him or her Hamlet. I don't mind waiting on a migrant, seeing as how I don't get a turn until year 2-3 anyway. Might pick a custom profession name, depending on what other skills the character has.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 11:59:36 pm »

aheheh, sorry, already went with the other miner, I can of course change that if you want, isn't too hard to edit....
nah, don't change it! I like it!
oh, didn't read the whole thing. raaaaagh...my head....
DOUBLE OH, I DIED?! I DIED IN THE FIRST MONTH...*facepalm, cries on the floor, wailing*
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:04:10 am by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 11:26:56 am »

Can you please dorf me as that Metalworker
Name: Anders
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 05:15:20 pm »

22nd Hematite

I just got word of migrants! We could use a little help with organizing things here, so more the merrier!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

28th Hematite

The Harpies are back. I just got word a water buffalo was clawed to death on the hill to the east, and now they're chasing the new immigrants. I think I should have requested a marksdwarf when the regent generously allow one of the royal guard to accompany us...

1st Malachite

A farmer was dropped into a deep pool by a harpy and drowned. The cruel creatures seemed to have figured out a dwarf's greatest fear of dying by being submerged in water. I have dispatched our guard to take these creatures out once and for all...

12th Malachite

The harpies have been driven off for now, though Inod got badly scratched up. I've ordered a bed made so as to let him rest and recover, while I'll find someone else to pump...

16th Malachite

The harpies returned one last time, but then fled at the sight of Inod charging at them! I guess they remember the lesson he taught them...

16th Limestone

We have broken through the aquifer! I immediately begin digging down staircases...only to find that the aquifer is several layers deep! I almost burst into tears at the news, as we had invalidated most of a years work.

17th Limestone

It has been decided that the original entrance will be abandoned. I'll conduct exploratory digging to see where the aquifer is thinnest, so that we may continue. Meanwhile, more temporary storage will be built in the non aquifer layers.

21st Limestone

Success! I have found a spot where we might just simply cave in the roof to get through. Plans will be implemented immediately

23rd Limestone

Harpies have come back! Only two this time, so I'm more comfortable with sending Inod to deal with it...

11th Sandstone

After dealing with the harpies, I've returned to my efforts of getting through the aquifer. My first cave-in attempt failed due to misreading of the plans, so I've decided to dig west to find another area to cave in....

12th Sandstone

It is a happy day for Spearfalls, as when I dug down a bit to the west, I discovered dry stone! We don't need to mess around anymore with various aquifer-busting designs!
19th Sandstone

After digging down past any possibility of wet stone, I've begun to construct a proper storage level for all our goods
Next on the list is a small crafts level for getting our fortress truly started

24th Sandstone

More Migrants! And just in time to, for once we get the storage area complete, I plan to get the meeting/dining area done and move everyone deep underground. No more harpy attacks!

I'll get the rest of autumn and all of winter later. I need a freakin break after all the stress with the aquifer!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

MoosecraftMachete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 05:30:24 pm »

Can I have a go at running the fort?
I'd also like to be dorfed, preferably as a swordsdwarf or engraver, named Moosecraft.
EDIT: Is there a militia commander yet? If not, I'm available.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:00:21 pm by MoosecraftMachete »
You own dragon eggs, what other uses do you need then clubbing stuff to death with giant unborn lizard children?!

Dalex

• Bay Watcher
  • And thats how Fun was made!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 06:19:55 pm »

((I love the Shakespeare theme that is emerging.))
Dear Journal,
Oh woe is me, for within the season of the landing of our caravan, my dear brother was ambushed and drowned in a pool, now sullied with the lives of my closest companion.

Hmm... Nothing like real life events affecting your works of literature, is there?

Oh yeah, Rophello died. I don't really care that much, we were brothers and all, but of a large family, and considering he was the eldest, he had moved out by the time I was of age to pick up my first pick.

And his personality was mediocre.
"But Sir, Urist's kidneys are falling out of his HEAD, and your telling me he doesn't need surgery?"

"Give him a Crutch!"

MoosecraftMachete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 06:22:07 pm »

((I love the Shakespeare theme that is emerging.))
Dear Journal,
Oh woe is me, for within the season of the landing of our caravan, my dear brother was ambushed and drowned in a pool, now sullied with the lives of my closest companion.

Hmm... Nothing like real life events affecting your works of literature, is there?

Oh yeah, Rophello died. I don't really care that much, we were brothers and all, but of a large family, and considering he was the eldest, he had moved out by the time I was of age to pick up my first pick.

And his personality was mediocre.

I suspect foul play. Where were you at the time of this incident? What relations do you have with the harpies? WHY DID YOU DO IT?!?!?!? HE HAD SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR!!!! *sobs*
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:27:42 pm by MoosecraftMachete »
You own dragon eggs, what other uses do you need then clubbing stuff to death with giant unborn lizard children?!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 08:10:24 pm »

FEAR NOT MORTALS! I SHALL LEAD YOU SOON ENOUGH! assuming I can hide from grim long enough to find a host...
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

MoosecraftMachete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:06 pm »

FEAR NOT MORTALS! I SHALL LEAD YOU SOON ENOUGH! assuming I can hide from grim long enough to find a host...

ALL HAIL THE GLORIOUS MASTER!! MAY HE WATCH OVER SPEARFALLS FOR ALL ETERNITY!!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 10:22:12 pm »

Memoirs of Rophello: entry one

Well...death was not what I had anticipated when I signed up for the expedition. Still! I can deal with this...I've had...worse? Hmmm...OH! Death just left the room! FREED-oh darn it! He came back. Hmm, maybe if I ask him...her...It...WHATEVER if I could visit my little brother! PERFECT!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 10:28:44 pm »

8th Timber

Work on the storerooms proceeds faster now that we have three miners; Me, Othello, and Kel Idokmonom, a new arrival. I have begun ordering the stores moved deeper underground.

On another note, I have noticed the ghost of Tirist Kivishidok, the farmer killed by the harpies, has begun haunting us. I have ordered a temporary masons built so as to build and engrave a slab to put him to rest.

19th Timber

I have ordered the trade depot to finally be constructed, and just in time to, as the caravan has been sighted!

However, the lack of any goods to trade is a small problem, but not an insurmoutable one. We have dug up several valuable gems during our excavations of the storerooms, so I've ordered the construction of a jewelers to cut these gems for trade.

25th Timber
Our Expedition Leader Inod Olonurol(Cousin to the Royal Guard and Militia Commander Inod Ozkakmorul) met with the liaison today. Upon my recommendations, we requested more alcohol, some more lye and gypsum powder(sadly, it appears that while ores are plentiful here, gypsum is not among one of those), and an assortment of meats. Meanwhile, our resident jeweler(and bookkeeper) Minkot has cut almost enough gems to trade with.

13th Moonstone

More Harpies! Where do they keep coming from? ...No matter, I've ordered Inod to handle the problem, which he does with efficiency.

16th Opal

Things have been quiet lately, so I guess that's why the harpies showed up. It seems they just won't learn their lesson. Inod's already on his way....

20th Opal

Unfortunately, Inod arrives just a bit too late as the harpies manage to corner our cook.

9th Obsidian

The Time fast approaches when I must relinquish Overseership as tradition dictates. I would like to get in a dining room before then, but it appears not to be. Still, I have accomplished much, though there is ever more to do...

16th Obsidian

After a couple of months of haggling, we have finally reached an agreement with the liaison.

Of particular note is the dire need of gems and fish in the Mountainhomes; items that we can easily supply here in Spearfalls. I'll make a note for the next overseer...

19th Obsidian

I'll give you three guesses as to what showed up again, and the first two don't count. Yep, Harpies. This time they didn't kill anyone, but they did injure several dwarfs. As a note to future overseers, you might want to wall and roof the upper pasture next to the farms, or find the caverns and carve out your own pasture. Worst off is one of our founders, woodworker Aban. He manages to stumble to the small hospital I had set up at the entrance, where I proceed to work on him. I..I'm not sure, but I think I can save his arm...

22nd Obsidian

Luckily, Aban's injury, while still severe, is not as bad as it looks. while he'll have impairment, all it really needs is a dressing and some cleaning.

1st Granite

Spring arrives, and so I must now do my duty and pass on leadership. Truthfully, I am too busy taking care of the victims of the harpy attacks to lead at the moment anyways.I'll find a suitable replacement in a moment...

End of year tally

save
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5094

And thats a wrap! I'll update op with the save as well. As I noted, you might want to either wall of and roof the pasture to protect against harpies, or you can just burrow to the caverns to release the spores and create your own pasture. We need a dining room, bedrooms, and more workshops, as well as making the entrance make sense. I'll also advise being VERY careful about excavating above the storeroom area; reveal shows some leeway, as well as a couple magnetite clusters, but if you dig the wrong square, well, the dorfs would need to learn to breathe underwater FAST. One last thing, we also need to get Inod some backup;while he's been handling the harpies, he's getting progressively rather more battered after each fight, since he is often going up against 2 or 3 at once.

Now, Master, you're up!
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 10:32:11 pm »

Oh, btw Master, I never did get around to engraving rothello's slab, so if you want to play a ghost overseer, go ahead.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 10:39:10 pm »

Oh, btw Master, I never did get around to engraving rothello's slab, so if you want to play a ghost overseer, go ahead.
that's the plan. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Uhhh...I mean...I...*poof and vanishes*
I'll begin my turn...*glances at the ghost sun* ...NOW!
EDIT: You guys don't mind if I give Inod some dwarven steroids(use runesmith to bump up his stats) do you?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:41:19 pm by The Master »
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »

I gotta say, when the waves of harpies came(and especially when several actually got in the fort!), I thought the fort was over before it began. Inod is one Badass Royal Guard(And could you put that as his profession?). Also; NEVER DOING AQUIFER FORT AGAIN.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 10:46:00 pm »

NEVER DOING AQUIFER FORT AGAIN.
tell me about it...don't even get me started on what happened to AtticDrinks...
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8