Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems installing on Linux (Ubuntu) [FIXED]  (Read 2216 times)

Thibbedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems installing on Linux (Ubuntu) [FIXED]
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:43:12 am »

Hello everybody!

I'm new to the forums but I have tried to learn to play DF and LCS on and off for a couple of years now. :)

Since I mostly use my Linux-partition nowadays I wanted to try and install DF. I have googled around a lot and I understand that you probably get a lot of these "Help with linux installation"-threads... But I got stuck at the point when I run "./df" I get the message "./df: 6: ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: not found"
It seems to me that I have a 32 bit system at least if I try "$ file /bin/ls" I get

"/bin/ls: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped"

And if I run " uname -m" it returns "i686" Could this be a problem?

So I don't really uerstand what the problem is? :/
Some help would be very much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:15:24 pm by Thibbedi »

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Problems installing on Linux (Ubuntu)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:33:59 pm »

I'd suggest just going ahead and running the windows version in WINE; it's just as fast as the native linux build. Also, the various utilities like Dwarf Therapist are much easier to run - and in fact have improved functionality - under WINE as well.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:52:58 pm »

Looks like the df script can't find the actual executable (which is called Dwarf_Fortress and is located in the libs folder of the main df folder).  There are two reason I can see for this:  one, you moved the script out of the df folder, so it can't find the executable as it looks in the folder it's in for it.  (If you do this, replace the DF_DIR=$(dirname "$0") line of the df script with DF_DIR="path to your df directory here", eg DF_DIR="~/Games/Dwarf Fortress/", so it knows where to look)  Two, for some reason your install is messed up and the executable is missing, in which case you should redownload DF.

You shouldn't be having any problems with a 32-bit system, since df is compiled as a 32-bit executable.  And uname -m returning i686 does indeed mean that your system is 32-bit.

Thibbedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:17:51 pm »

Looks like the df script can't find the actual executable (which is called Dwarf_Fortress and is located in the libs folder of the main df folder).  There are two reason I can see for this:  one, you moved the script out of the df folder, so it can't find the executable as it looks in the folder it's in for it.  (If you do this, replace the DF_DIR=$(dirname "$0") line of the df script with DF_DIR="path to your df directory here", eg DF_DIR="~/Games/Dwarf Fortress/", so it knows where to look)  Two, for some reason your install is messed up and the executable is missing, in which case you should redownload DF.

You shouldn't be having any problems with a 32-bit system, since df is compiled as a 32-bit executable.  And uname -m returning i686 does indeed mean that your system is 32-bit.

Deleting df_linux and unpacking the tarball again actually solved that problem! Thank you, I never thought that it could actually be missing or something, I was stuck on libraries that i could be missing that needed to be installed. Which actually was a problem as well..

Now that I unpacked everything again and tried running ./df i got the following message:

"./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

So i went ahead and installed libsdl-ttf2.0-0 and now I can start and play the game!
BUT when i run ./df i get the message:

"Dynamically loading the OpenAL library failed, disabling sound
Initializing OpenAL failed, no sound will be played"

So I can play the game, but without sound, which isn't a huge problem ofc.. but it still would be nice to hear that sweet music ;)
So when I look up OpenAL libraries there seemes to be an entire ocean of options and I get pretty much lost to say the least...

Anyone know the solution to this one? :/

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:57:00 pm »

Do you have the libopenal package installed?  If not, try installing that.  If that doesn't work or if you already have it installed, try the instructions here (minus the libsndfile part, of course, since you don't seem to be having a problem with that).

Thibbedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 03:14:42 pm »

Do you have the libopenal package installed?  If not, try installing that.  If that doesn't work or if you already have it installed, try the instructions here (minus the libsndfile part, of course, since you don't seem to be having a problem with that).

Apparently i didn't have the libopenal package, so i installed libopenal1 then did the sudo ln -s stuff for both the libopenal- and the libsndfiles since i got errors about them too after fixing the OpenAL part. The only difference being that I already had the snd library from the start.

Well now I can play the game and enjoy the music! Thank you so much KaminaSquirtle, for the help! I hope other people who find this thread while searching for solutions to the same or a similar problem will find this helpful as well!

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Problems installing on Linux (Ubuntu) [FIXED]
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 06:02:13 pm »

Code: [Select]
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1 df_linux/libs/libsndfile.so
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1 df_linux/libs/libopenal.so
$ echo "drivers = alsa," > .alsoftrc

should get your sound going for as long as you care to keep it on.

EDIT: How did I miss all those posts before this? Should refresh more often.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:04:22 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

Ponder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:40:34 am »

Sorry for digging out an old topic, but I got the same issue. However, the solution here is not working out for me. Downloaded and unpacked the tarball now several times and still get the "./df: 6: ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: not found" error. The file "libs/Dwarf_Fortress" is existent, but when you try to execute it, you get an "not found" error too. I was however able to open it with vi or could apply the "file" command on it without a problem. It's just execute part which is not working, yes it is flagged as an executable.
I'd be grateful if can give me a hint how to solve this. Thanks.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:33:33 am »

Are you using Ubuntu 64-bit? I had this same problem before (same error message anyway), and iirc installing the ia32-libs package solved it. There's a thread around here somewhere that I found that on, but I can't seem to find it now.

Ponder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 04:00:19 pm »

I'm running LMDE 64bit, based on Ubuntu. It worked, thank you. There now some other libraries missing, but that won't be a problem I guess. Thanks again. :)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 11:19:40 am »

I'm using LMDE and having this same problem. Where did you get that package from? it isn't in the default repo's
HA HA HA DISREGARD THAT
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:41:41 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.